Womens Team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Womens Team

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scoreline is a fair reflection. Outplayed, unfortunately.

Cheltenham were well organised, didn't really attack the breakdown and soaked up our attack. We were too lateral and our ruck speed was too slow. Dropped off some poor tackles, and Cheltenham punished us with some great finishes. We really could have done with their flyhalf's boot. It's a clear weakness for us heading into next season.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I’ve not read all of this thread but perhaps someone could let me know something.
Does this defeat mean that Tigers women have to stay in their current league.? Or do they get to go into Premier 15s or whatever it’s called in some pre arrangement, irrespective of the result of the final?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mightymouse wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:25 am I’ve not read all of this thread but perhaps someone could let me know something.
Does this defeat mean that Tigers women have to stay in their current league.? Or do they get to go into Premier 15s or whatever it’s called in some pre arrangement, irrespective of the result of the final?
The latter. The 'licenses' for the Premier 15s have already been dished out with at least one established side missing out.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

:smt027 q
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:31 am
mightymouse wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:25 am I’ve not read all of this thread but perhaps someone could let me know something.
The latter. The 'licenses' for the Premier 15s have already been dished out with at least one established side missing out.
Probably explains why Cheltenham were so up for it! They’ve been top dogs in this tier for a long time, and seeing a new side put together fast tracked past them into the P15s must be galling.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Not really galling. They probably haven’t got the funding to enter the premier 15’s. Cheltenham also drafted in some dual registered players from Gloucester Hartbury for the final which in my opinion is not in the spirit of the game.
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:55 am Not really galling. They probably haven’t got the funding to enter the premier 15’s. Cheltenham also drafted in some dual registered players from Gloucester Hartbury for the final which in my opinion is not in the spirit of the game.
I wasn’t implying there was anything unfair or underhand about Tigers’ elevation - simply pointing out that Cheltenham would have used it as motivation to beat the ‘upstarts’!

I wasn’t aware of the dual registration issue. Does that also mean a few Cheltenham 1st XV players dropped down to their ‘2nds’…who also won their final yesterday?!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

That’s interesting and as you say could be an incentive for them to win .. I imagine that was a fairly easy pre match team talk for their coach!

Looks like it’s going to be a very different story next year in the big girls league. It’ll be interesting to see if there will be any close season recruitment. I would be curious to know what internal targets have been set on finishing place next season.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Hopefully realistically modest goals for next season - and the one after. It’s bound to be tough, but would be good to see them being patient and building for the long term rather then bringing a whole lot of new players in to get some quick wins!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

They definitely need to recruit in some positions. Agree that we don’t want to make wholesale changes but we also don’t want to be the whipping boys oops sorry girls
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:59 pm They definitely need to recruit in some positions. Agree that we don’t want to make wholesale changes but we also don’t want to be the whipping boys oops sorry girls
It’s a difficult balance, to be sure.

I’ve not watched enough women’s rugby to confidently judge how big a step up it’s going to be….but then again, you only have to look at the talent, pace and power of the Red Roses to appreciate the quality that is going to be confronting the Tigers on a weekly basis! It’s going to be exciting and daunting in equal measure.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:11 pm Scoreline is a fair reflection. Outplayed, unfortunately.

Cheltenham were well organised, didn't really attack the breakdown and soaked up our attack. We were too lateral and our ruck speed was too slow. Dropped off some poor tackles, and Cheltenham punished us with some great finishes. We really could have done with their flyhalf's boot. It's a clear weakness for us heading into next season.
Darc Tiger, I dont fully agree with you on this, yes Cheltenham were in front, but we kept catching them and at 17-17 I had the feeling we could beat them, we had total scrum dominance until then but we changed our front row, lost a lot of weight and started to get pushed back and in consequence Chelts got a lot more of the ball. Yes we need some recruitment, poss a bit more fitness, bit better handling and more care when off loading, otherwise we did well, girls tried hard, dont know why we didnt start with the red haired lady winger, she looked very determined to me, but on the whole girls did well. They also chased back very well after making a mistake. :smt038
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Vicky MacQueen has said some stardust will be sprinkled into the present squad.
On the stream Racheal Burford commented on ex Lichfield players & our link to Lichfield then back peddled by saying she knows nothing.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:55 am Not really galling. They probably haven’t got the funding to enter the premier 15’s. Cheltenham also drafted in some dual registered players from Gloucester Hartbury for the final which in my opinion is not in the spirit of the game.
That really isn't.

The good thing about having the franchise model and no threat of immediate relegation/loss of franchise is that recruitment doesn't need to be immediate and desperate. The older players can stay on an nurture the potential whilst gradually drip feeding in established talent to fill the holes where we haven't organically grown players in those positions to perform at that higher level.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Fri May 05, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

It would be nice if the Women’s team could do a lap of MWWR on Saturday in recognition of their achievements.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Farmboy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm Vicky MacQueen has said some stardust will be sprinkled into the present squad.
On the stream Racheal Burford commented on ex Lichfield players & our link to Lichfield then back peddled by saying she knows nothing.
When the Women played at Lichfield earlier in the season, Vicky was chatting with the current England Hooker Amy Cokayne for about half an hour or so after the Game. Amy is ex Lichfield, but this might be some of the stardust she is referring to? Pure speculation, of course.