Clermont travel arrangements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Clermont travel arrangements

Post by Billb »

Has anyone heard whether the club is arranging travel to Claremont in January.
Unfortunately John Griffiths, who brilliantly organised trips all over France and Italy, has retired, but I heard last year that the club were going to arrange these trips from this season.
any news?
BillB
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Clermont travel arrangements

Post by LE18 »

Don't know. Its not easy to get to but I think its possibly cheapest to fly to Lyon. I think there is a very cheap bus from Lyon to Clermont. If you know Wayne and his mates, they can tell you more.
My wife and I went by train this year but that's expensive. I think only approx 300 travelled in total by their own means.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Clermont is not the easiest to get to.

Flights to Lyon are cheap - and this is a great destination in its own right.
There are cheap trains and buses to Clermont from there - although if the game is on a Sunday this becomes a little more tricky.

Trains to Clermont run from Paris - cheap enough if you buy in advance.

Clermont should be on a bucket list of grounds to visit and the main square is very lively with a few bars and restaurants - and it also formed the new Tigers song "country road" on my last visit there !!! :smt001 :smt001 :smt001
Less is more....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Last time I organised a trip to Clermont we had two methods, two pretty full coaches left for Eurotunnel train early hours of the morning, road travel in France was about 10 hours with a couple of stops, The second group of more than 60 people left the Crumbie carpark a couple of hours late for St Pancras to catch an early train to Paris, they had to change stations in Paris (only a couple of stops on the Metro) and they arrived in Clermont shortly after the road trip in fact we managed to have the coaches meet them at the station to take them to our hotel.
I think it quite possible that the club will be organising transport to the match but with Dom currently on holiday they may need a few weeks to finalise details.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The way the transport delays are going just now I'd leave tomorrow, you might just get there in time.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Craig123

Post by Craig123 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:29 am Last time I organised a trip to Clermont we had two methods, two pretty full coaches left for Eurotunnel train early hours of the morning, road travel in France was about 10 hours with a couple of stops, The second group of more than 60 people left the Crumbie carpark a couple of hours late for St Pancras to catch an early train to Paris, they had to change stations in Paris (only a couple of stops on the Metro) and they arrived in Clermont shortly after the road trip in fact we managed to have the coaches meet them at the station to take them to our hotel.
I think it quite possible that the club will be organising transport to the match but with Dom currently on holiday they may need a few weeks to finalise details.

Hey John

I hope your well, mate. Can you remember roughly how much it was on the coach. I just want to get a rough idea if the club do decide to organise a trip to France.

Cheers
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

Air France fly to Clermont from Birmingham via Paris, we’ve booked Thursday to Monday, the cost is £360.00 each with reserved seats on all 4 flights.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think I charged about £305.00 for train & £290 for coach travel plus three nights B & B at a decent hotel and a trip out on the spare day for those that wanted it, many chose to sight see the bars in Clermont instead. Of course coach hire has increased over the last few years particularly due to fuel charges being higher and all other costs have gone up.
Eurostar travel for group booking was peculiar as they never gave a price per seat, ask to reserve 50 and you are told 12 at one price 23 at another 10 at another and 5 at another. Phone to add to the party and there will be yet another price there can be a difference of more than £100 per seat, very strange. On one trip to Toulon requesting an extra 12 seats would have cost well over double the original charge but strangely to have them as first class tickets was actually cheaper than my original average and included free drinks which me Dave Johnson, Little Ian and a few others enjoyed.
Craig123

Post by Craig123 »

Thanks John for your reply. I am hoping the club will sort some travel out, but I do expect it to be a lot more money than what you charged.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Stay at the Hotel Campanile on the Avenue de la Republique. Just opposite the ground, good price and an excellent brekkie. On the tram line into town too.
animalnitrate
Tiger Cub

Post by animalnitrate »

We went back in April. Flew to Lyon with Queasyjet from Luton. We stayed in Lyon Perrache area overnight and then caught the Flixbus to Clermont. The bus took a couple of hours, was very comfortable and remarkably cheap (about £7 each if I remember correctly).
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Just booked Eurostar £88 rtn. Paris to Clermont around the £60 rtn. Hotel in the city booked £84 Double Room B&B.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm Just booked Eurostar £88 rtn. Paris to Clermont around the £60 rtn. Hotel in the city booked £84 Double Room B&B.
Watch out for your timings, we did the same, Eurostar only gave us 1 hour to cross Paris, train arrived 25 mins late into Gare de Nord, we missed our connection at Bercy station, it is not easy to find especially if you are in a rush.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 pm
TigerCam wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm Just booked Eurostar £88 rtn. Paris to Clermont around the £60 rtn. Hotel in the city booked £84 Double Room B&B.
Watch out for your timings, we did the same, Eurostar only gave us 1 hour to cross Paris, train arrived 25 mins late into Gare de Nord, we missed our connection at Bercy station, it is not easy to find especially if you are in a rush.
Last trip it worked out fine. This trip its 2 hours between times. Taxi 30-40 minutes.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

just looked at Clermont fixture list and they show that the match against the Tigers is:

Match Clermont vs Leicester, 13/01/2023
Date :Friday, January 13, 2023 Kick Off : 02:00 Venue : Stade Marcel Michelin Tournament : Champions Cup Round : pool stage.

A Friday afternoon at 14:00! Really!! Anyone corroborate this? Travel plans will have to be changed if this is actually correct.