Ed Slater diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

StanWilks

Re: Ed Slater diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND)

Post by StanWilks »

Such a shame. It couldn't have happened to a greater player.
Used to play rugby. Kind of a Poundland Cipriani? Yeah, I'll go with that.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

First and foremost my thoughts go to Ed Slater and his family and of course to anyone who is impacted by this terrible disease whether they have ever played rugby or not. I do not fully understand the analysis which has been presented here and elsewhere regarding the potential link but I guess ‘inconclusive’ would be a reasonable conclusion. Having said that, when one looks at our game as whole over the years and particularly since it turned professional surely we cannot be surprised at the potential for serious injury/ disease. Indeed if we are honest as players ( at whatever level) , spectators or commentators it is the very physicality of the game which attracts us to it ( as opposed perhaps to other sports) . Of course we need to look after those, again at whatever level, who are regrettably impacted due to participation in the sport but we should not adopt a ‘dog in the manger’ attitude. The game is intrinsically potentially dangerous and all should accept that there is an element of risk involved. The alternative is to change the laws to the extent that the game will be almost unrecognisable.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

PIEANDAPINT wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:03 pm First and foremost my thoughts go to Ed Slater and his family and of course to anyone who is impacted by this terrible disease whether they have ever played rugby or not. I do not fully understand the analysis which has been presented here and elsewhere regarding the potential link but I guess ‘inconclusive’ would be a reasonable conclusion. Having said that, when one looks at our game as whole over the years and particularly since it turned professional surely we cannot be surprised at the potential for serious injury/ disease. Indeed if we are honest as players ( at whatever level) , spectators or commentators it is the very physicality of the game which attracts us to it ( as opposed perhaps to other sports) . Of course we need to look after those, again at whatever level, who are regrettably impacted due to participation in the sport but we should not adopt a ‘dog in the manger’ attitude. The game is intrinsically potentially dangerous and all should accept that there is an element of risk involved. The alternative is to change the laws to the extent that the game will be almost unrecognisable.
Totally agree with Pieandapint. Was having a similar conversation yesterday with someone who stopped playing around 30 years ago as did I. We both commented that the physicality of the game is unrecognisable from the game we played at all levels and as such the impact of the hits the body has to absorb is significantly higher.
Whether this is down to professional rugby, although it seems to impacted all levels even junior, or the gym culture of everybody being fitter faster stronger I don’t know.
As was said without changing the laws of the game massively, and playing tag rugby, I don’t know what can be done.
Just a thought that in many peoples eyes our most significant arrival recently is Aled Walters. Why? Because the work he has done has improved our players by that key 5% making them fitter faster stronger.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It would seem there is now some science to this, though other contact sports like boxing, mma and karate are not included surprises me.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62302408
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:17 am It would seem there is now some science to this, though other contact sports like boxing, mma and karate are not included surprises me.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62302408
I mentioned CTE yesterday I believe. That has definitely already been linked to combat sports,especially MMA and even to WWE too. There’s a very recent article where 3 ex UFC fighters have been diagnosed with CTE too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I just hope those who make the decisions address this properly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A great shame and tragedy. Such a great guy.

It's a cruel world.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If you can get to any of the venues, I'm sure it would be appreciated
https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/ ... mile-cycle
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I shall definitely try to get to Welford Road on Monday to support Ed and all the Ex Leicester boys. Let’s hope this gets the same traction as Doddie and Rob Burrows campaigns
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Nice piece about him on the BBC web site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62435376
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Great compilation of his highlights here: https://youtu.be/mOnL9UpmSdE

I didn’t realise how prolific a try scorer he was!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.