22/23 Injury & Suspension list

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 22/23 Injury & Suspension list

Post by anz3001 »

Is Steward likely to get cited and does that affect his return to club rugby?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 pm Is Steward likely to get cited and does that affect his return to club rugby?
He will face a disciplinary hearing and any ban would affect his next games for Tigers
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 pm Is Steward likely to get cited and does that affect his return to club rugby?
If common sense prevails then no. But if he is he should fight it. I’m not positive but that could incur a longer ban if found guilty but someone has to put an end to this nonsense
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:08 pm
If common sense prevails then no. But if he is he should fight it. I’m not positive but that could incur a longer ban if found guilty but someone has to put an end to this nonsense
There can be no citing as he is already committed to face a hearing for the red card. The disciplinary panel can dismiss the red card or impose a ban if found guilty.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:29 pm
There can be no citing as he is already committed to face a hearing for the red card. The disciplinary panel can dismiss the red card or impose a ban if found guilty.
Thanks,wasn't sure if it could be rescinded upon the citing commisons viewing of the game.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:29 pm
You also no longer get a longer ban when you appeal against the decision, you're still eligible to all the "remorse" mitigation etc.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Steward's hearing is tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. So we'll probably hear mid morning Wednesday about his availability or not.

Worth pointing out his only previous red was for taking a man in the air in the U20 6N in 2020 just before covid.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Who actually hears that red card tribunal ( or whatever it’s called) is it the RFU or is it IRB if it’s on international duty?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:39 am Who actually hears that red card tribunal ( or whatever it’s called) is it the RFU or is it IRB if it’s on international duty?
It's a 6 Nations disciplinary panel, so not the RFU.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I take it you all do know Barry O'Driscoll is a panel member of the 6 Nations disciplinary panel!
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

Qbec wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 am I take it you all do know Barry O'Driscoll is a panel member of the 6 Nations disciplinary panel!
I think I'm right in saying no panel member can be involved with a hearing involving their country, so I don't think he'll be on the panel, nor will any English member on it.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I suspect it depends if the club are willing to rest him for Bristol and Edinburgh, as they are likely the game he'd miss.

Given the commentary in the press by journos, pundits and ex-refs I suspect it'll be challenged and hopefully expunged from the record.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm I suspect it depends if the club are willing to rest him for Bristol and Edinburgh, as they are likely the game he'd miss.

Given the commentary in the press by journos, pundits and ex-refs I suspect it'll be challenged and hopefully expunged from the record.
I think it’s unlikely to be overturned. The only grounds for overturning would be clear and obvious evidence that the referee either missed something incontrovertibly obvious in the video, or didn’t follow the protocols for foul play.

At the risk of reopening a can of worms, I don’t think either is the case. We might disagree with the referee’s interpretation of what he saw - and we might feel that the protocols in these sorts of cases are producing perverse outcomes - but I don’t see a panel getting involved in this.

He’ll get minimal ban on account of his relatively good record and we move on.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

chris111 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm I suspect it depends if the club are willing to rest him for Bristol and Edinburgh, as they are likely the game he'd miss.

I think it’s unlikely to be overturned. The only grounds for overturning would be clear and obvious evidence that the referee either missed something incontrovertibly obvious in the video, or didn’t follow the protocols for foul play.

At the risk of reopening a can of worms, I don’t think either is the case. We might disagree with the referee’s interpretation of what he saw - and we might feel that the protocols in these sorts of cases are producing perverse outcomes - but I don’t see a panel getting involved in this.

Is "No further action" an option?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

chris111 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm

I don't believe this is the case. The hearing takes all evidence into account, then decides if it meets the threshold for red. It is regardless of what card is or isn't given in the game. The team defending Steward does not have an additional burden of proof to show why it was demostrably wrong.

The reason red cards used to only be overturned in those cases was by contesting it you used to make yourself ineligible to get the mitigation reduction in bans. Now you can still get it mitigated even if you challenge the ban, we're seeing a lot more red cards overturned.