Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Post by Darc Tiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pmThe Tigers press release says, "Clubs will launch a tiered community of benefits and rewards,"
The phrase 'tiered community' should be an immediate red flag.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:57 am Blockchain, in itself, is a wonderful technology. However, it really can be misused and over-hyped. This app is not "crypto [currency]" but it uses blockchain.
It really isn't... it's mind-numbingly mundane with near-zero real world applications that cannot be implemented much more successfully, efficiently, and reliably using other technologies (the obvious ones that it excels at are, but not limited to, embezzlement and fraud)

This announcement though... even if you look past the "extract more money from the fans" angle... what the hell do you need a distributed system for? You could run the entire damn thing on a Raspberry Pi (obviously I wouldn't actually recommend this...), rather than a "system" that currently consumes more power than the whole of the Netherlands.

I thought the new execs had stopped making stupid decisions... evidently one has slipped through the net. If they do read this forum, back out now; faster than you have ever backtracked anything before. The vast majority of people will look at this announcement with disdain, confusion, or disgust - have they not seen what fans of other sports have been saying? I guess it just proves that the grift still hasn't completely exhausted the supply of "greater fools"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:15 pm Don't get me wrong I'm early 40s and I'm not a fan but whenever Im at a rugby ground I look around at the crowds and for me WR seems to have the highest average age by far. Is this just something to maybe hook in the new breed of fan? Are times changing? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?
The people still diehard about crypto in 2022 only care about their investment. The line must go up. It relies on disposable income, unless you're inviting financial irresponsibility, and that is not something many people (especially young people) have in spades.
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:29 pm Just as an aside boxers are now using NFT,Connor Benn being the most famous to recently announce it. Is this the first step to our players using them,could be!
NFTs are even worse than this fan token nonsense, and the bottom fell out of that market months ago.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:15 pm Don't get me wrong I'm early 40s and I'm not a fan but whenever Im at a rugby ground I look around at the crowds and for me WR seems to have the highest average age by far. Is this just something to maybe hook in the new breed of fan? Are times changing? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?
The people still diehard about crypto in 2022 only care about their investment. The line must go up. It relies on disposable income, unless you're inviting financial irresponsibility, and that is not something many people (especially young people) have in spades.
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:29 pm Just as an aside boxers are now using NFT,Connor Benn being the most famous to recently announce it. Is this the first step to our players using them,could be!
NFTs are even worse than this fan token nonsense, and the bottom fell out of that market months ago.
Thanks it's not something I'm really up to speed on but Benns stock has never been higher. He's just about to sign for a fight against Chris Eubank Jr,rekindling their Dad's 30 year old feud. Why would he do that if their isn't a market there? Or is just a fan fleecer?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:44 pm
Thanks it's not something I'm really up to speed on but Benns stock has never been higher. He's just about to sign for a fight against Chris Eubank Jr,rekindling their Dad's 30 year old feud. Why would he do that if their isn't a market there? Or is just a fan fleecer?
The obvious explanation being: because someone gave him a lot of money to do so?

Sportstars are incredibly famous, but this does not make them immune from bad decisions, hell it might even be guaranteed money for THEM and they don't realize (or care?) how or where that money came from
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LittleBigG wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:48 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:44 pm

The obvious explanation being: because someone gave him a lot of money to do so?

Sportstars are incredibly famous, but this does not make them immune from bad decisions, hell it might even be guaranteed money for THEM and they don't realize (or care?) how or where that money came from
The platform that he boxes on DAZN have just launched a global boxing NFT marketplace too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

NFTs in particular live and die on hype. Crypto investors will throw money at celebrities and influencers to flog them to their fanbase.

There is little to no actual risk to whoever is minting the collection. If (when) it subsequently tanks, and they're savvy, they've already took the money and ran.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I may be an old stick-in-the-mud but I will have nothing to do with this - what benefit is it to me? what benefit is it to the club? - who will be making money out of this? Anyone who wants mine can have them FOC - we are a rugby club not a gambling club
Hehehehehehehehe
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:52 pmThe platform that he boxes on DAZN have just launched a global boxing NFT marketplace too
Perhaps ask yourself who owns these platforms, and what are their financial interests in trying to push this trash on normal people. Crypto relies on a steady supply of fresh marks, and those that really hold power in the market already are incredibly wealthy. Unless you're exceptionally lucky, the money will only flow upwards.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:52 pmThe platform that he boxes on DAZN have just launched a global boxing NFT marketplace too
Perhaps ask yourself who owns these platforms, and what are their financial interests in trying to push this trash on normal people. Crypto relies on a steady supply of fresh marks, and those that really hold power in the market already are incredibly wealthy. Unless you're exceptionally lucky, the money will only flow upwards.
Thanks ,the markets obviously there (certainly in boxing anyway for DAZN to enter it)but you're right,you've got to be gullible to pay for the kind of stuff you are getting with them!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

If anyone is interested there is actually a perp contract available for $CHZ so you can perfectly hedge your risk on this aspect of it. Which actually means the real risk involved is what is the total supply of the fan tokens and who controls this supply, my guess would be the club but they would need to really know what they are doing so as not to cause issues.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This thread has been brought to the Clubs attention but I would suggest that you either phone or email Andrea Pinchen or Peter Tom if you strongly disagree or even want to share your views. I would not expect the club to have entered into any agreement without a background check.
There are some schemes that may appear as Scams but are legitimate and genuinely run busineses.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:57 pm This thread has been brought to the Clubs attention but I would suggest that you either phone or email Andrea Pinchen or Peter Tom if you strongly disagree or even want to share your views. I would not expect the club to have entered into any agreement without a background check.
There are some schemes that may appear as Scams but are legitimate and genuinely run busineses.
What I would say is that the club should make it explicitly clear that this token is not an investment vehicle or a speculative asset, in the press release they don't advertise it as such but it is clear that many posters on here appear to be under the impression it is.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I personally find anything backed by cryptocurrency to be inherently objectionable. Even if an individual project is relatively lower risk compared to others. I will not engage with a system that ties itself to a blockchain. They come free with a season ticket? That's actually makes it less attractive to me.

I also find the concept of using it for 'fan engagement' as entirely unnecessary, and in some ways actively repulsive. The club should work towards organic ways of interacting with their fans and providing perks without allowing shady investors, who care nothing for the club or the fans, to stick their claws in for profit.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:40 pm I personally find anything backed by cryptocurrency to be inherently objectionable. Even if an individual project is relatively lower risk compared to others. I will not engage with a system that ties itself to a blockchain. They come free with a season ticket? That's actually makes it less attractive to me.

I also find the concept of using it for 'fan engagement' as entirely unnecessary, and in some ways actively repulsive. The club should work towards organic ways of interacting with their fans and providing perks without allowing shady investors, who care nothing for the club or the fans, to stick their claws in for profit.
If the answer to "can I solve this problem without using a blockchain" is "yes" (hint: invariably it always is) then the "product" is generally compromised in some way in order to crowbar the use of the blockchain in where it is not required

When all you are after is buckets of venture capital pounds, everything can be "fixed" with a blockchain, because it was the buzzword of last year

I must have skimmed over the part where it said they come free with a season ticket... this surely must be opt-in; what data will be stored in the public ledger?? (Again, probably naff all meaningful, which again raises the question as to why the grossly inefficient technology is "required")

At the very best these "legitimate" companies are embellishing their credentials by convincing people that something is required, when it is not.

I missed this gem too: "enjoy the benefits of the token-gated community" - pay-for-access - so inclusive for a, supposedly, family friendly club. Die in a fire