Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Post by Scott1 »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:33 pm One bit that was interesting was that 11% of the season ticket holders are 20-30 (I thjink that was the age range given), compared to a national average of 18%, which to be frank doesn't sound right. Leicester as a city is, normally, much younger than the average, but what you really want to compare to is the % of season ticket holders in that age range at other clubs (football as well as rugby).
It looks right when you scan the crowd and when moving around the ground ,be interesting to see the average age of ST holders in the GP. I'd hazard a guess ours is the highest
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:33 pm One bit that was interesting was that 11% of the season ticket holders are 20-30 (I thjink that was the age range given), compared to a national average of 18%, which to be frank doesn't sound right. Leicester as a city is, normally, much younger than the average, but what you really want to compare to is the % of season ticket holders in that age range at other clubs (football as well as rugby).
To be fair (obviously don't know what methodology they used) we do have two top universities in the city - this massively skews the stats if it is not compensated for. 18yo from Gloucestershire/Northamptonshire gonna buy a Tigers season ticket? My sides... 😂

Also, the regions where rugby isn't so popular - we may snag a few, but most will probably just go to the games against their "closest" club - they will naturally have no affinity to rugby

Where were these stats from? I've taken a guess myself and have an opinion of their relevance 😐

I'd put money on the Dohl drummers spreading rugby to a (from observation on the terrace) massively underrepresented Leicester population, will have far more impact than other "initiatives"

There are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Disraeli/Twain... take your pick...)

Yours sincerely, an irked statistician 😆
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:02 pm
It looks right when you scan the crowd and when moving around the ground ,be interesting to see the average age of ST holders in the GP. I'd hazard a guess ours is the highest
I meant 18% of the country being in that 10 year age group doesn't sound right. 1 in 10 of season tickets sounds perfectly reasonable.

It might have been 18-35, which picking up another 7 years feels a bit more likely to be correct.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

LittleBigG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:29 pm
To be fair (obviously don't know what methodology they used) we do have two top universities in the city - this massively skews the stats if it is not compensated for. 18yo from Gloucestershire/Northamptonshire gonna buy a Tigers season ticket? My sides... 😂

Also, the regions where rugby isn't so popular - we may snag a few, but most will probably just go to the games against their "closest" club - they will naturally have no affinity to rugby

Where were these stats from? I've taken a guess myself and have an opinion of their relevance 😐

I'd put money on the Dohl drummers spreading rugby to a (from observation on the terrace) massively underrepresented Leicester population, will have far more impact than other "initiatives"

There are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Disraeli/Twain... take your pick...)

Yours sincerely, an irked statistician 😆
They were the stats used by the club in the discussion on crypto currency at the fans forum this week.

I understood it to be a simple comparison. We know our season ticket sales, segmented by age, and you can normally find a comparable break down of England's population.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
bendy

Post by bendy »

Disappointed to receive an email from the club today trying to flog me one of these tokens.

I was hoping that the whole sorry idea had been quietly dropped, but that's obviously wishful thinking on my part.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

bendy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:51 pm Disappointed to receive an email from the club today trying to flog me one of these tokens.

I was hoping that the whole sorry idea had been quietly dropped, but that's obviously wishful thinking on my part.
There has been quite a lot on social media from the club explaining the situation and how it works.
It’s like anything if you don’t like or want it then ignore it.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

bendy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:51 pm Disappointed to receive an email from the club today trying to flog me one of these tokens.

Disappointed NOT to receive one; perhaps the club don't think I'm rich enough. :smt003

ps Didn't get an e- birthday card from the club this year, either.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:21 am

Disappointed NOT to receive one; perhaps the club don't think I'm rich enough. :smt003

ps Didn't get an e- birthday card from the club this year, either.
You are obviously not rich enough, my email said it was "free", but I deleted it.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Bad bad idea - when first mentioned I emailed the Club asking for assurances under GDPR obligations that none of my personal details would be passed to a third party company wrt to 'free token' as the last thing I want is an inbox of crypto offers. Sad to say after several months no reply has been received which is a GDPR breach.

I know enough not to go near this offer which is very disapppointing for the reasons given above and show to my mind that Board has been taken in by a slick sales person - sad day for Tigers as no doubt marketing to get innocent fans to buy more tokens will follow as this is the only way to drive value. However any 'investment' is valued in a crypto currency which has no intrinsic value and is entirely driven by market demand or lack of.

I hope the Board will have a good explanation when gullible fans lose money they cannot afford to lose.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Jeremy Anderson wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 pm Bad bad idea - when first mentioned I emailed the Club asking for assurances under GDPR obligations that none of my personal details would be passed to a third party company wrt to 'free token' as the last thing I want is an inbox of crypto offers. Sad to say after several months no reply has been received which is a GDPR breach.

I know enough not to go near this offer which is very disapppointing for the reasons given above and show to my mind that Board has been taken in by a slick sales person - sad day for Tigers as no doubt marketing to get innocent fans to buy more tokens will follow as this is the only way to drive value. However any 'investment' is valued in a crypto currency which has no intrinsic value and is entirely driven by market demand or lack of.

I hope the Board will have a good explanation when gullible fans lose money they cannot afford to lose.
First of all your personal data will not be shared. You will be sent an email to apply for a code to get your free token. If you then wish to get the free token you will need to create an account on Socios and apply the code. If you dont want the free token then either dont apply for the code or get the code then not open a socios account

Secondly the fan token is not a crypto currency but a crypto asset. Whilst tokens will at a later stage be tradeable the free one's wont. The only money fans will lose as you put it will be if they decide to buy some tokens at FTO but as they are not intended as an investment and you dont lose them it is no different to buying a lottery ticket with the hope of winning things and partcipating in polls and things.

Yes greedy people who think they can make a fortune and throw thousands of pounds at it will deserve to lose their money. Some of the comments about crypto being a scam, con, unregulated etc comes from scare-mongering from the establishment. People are afraid of new technology and new forms of finance. When the likes of Google, Tesla and Paypal are getting into the cryprto world the experts on here will bury their hands in the sand.

If someone doesnt understand and wants to have a chat I am happy to explain the dangers of getting drawn in to the crypto world but as a fan token its a bit of fun with no risk. If you decide to buy some tokens the minimum you have to put in to socios is $25 which is approx £20 which is the cost of about 4 pints of beer.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Agreed signing up for your free tonks gives your personal details to the Cryto company which is the fans choice. This approach was not clear when I made my privacy enquiry under GDPR.

I also expect markting to follow encouranging fans to buy more tokens to bid for more prizes which you seem to think will not happen - let's wait and see!
Jeremy
Jez

Only Winners Win!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Personally I indiulged in Bitcoin and Ethereum 4 years ago and the investment--not touched- is basically miles better than any Pension or Hedge Fund. Sold the Omesego/Verge/ Ethos and Thon to concentrate on the two..
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

I had no idea I was part of 'the establishment.' Every day's a school day. I look forward to moving into my castle and assume my monocle is in the post. Still hoping that Tigers does not end up like Worcester and Wasps as a NFT (Non-Fundable Team).
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Bitcoin went up 20-fold in course of 2016/17. It is trading today at approximately the same price it ended 2017. With a global recession pending I imagine by December 2022 it will be lower than today. An asset that is lower than it was 5 years ago doesn’t compare well to, say, Microsoft stock.