Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

VernonAtrium

Re: Leicester Tigers gets in on the crypto grift...

Post by VernonAtrium »

I've enough with my Dad's daily 'is this a scam?' covid / insurance / mobile contract / insert aspect of our pointless lives here call. I don't expect to have the same thing with my rugby club.
IT. IS. A. SCAM.
Honestly, Tigers. Get a grip.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

If anyone wants to know more about cryptocurrency and how it works or doesn't, there's a programme on Channel 4 tonight (Tuesday 9 August) at 10:00pm titled 'Cryptocurrency: Has The Bubble Burst'. Should be worth a watch.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Arsenal have been slated over their adverts and their failures to warn fans over these tokens, which are unregulated and have to be bought using cryptocurrency. Its the second time Arsenal have been censured.
Have Tigers explained why they have signed up?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Surely the club must take notice - it is the first topic in my experience that has produced universal agreement among posters and universal condemnation.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:29 am Surely the club must take notice - it is the first topic in my experience that has produced universal agreement among posters and universal condemnation.
I suspect the club is quite aware they've made a mistake, however the club is probably bound with some expensive break clauses.

Thing is there'll be clauses about not publicly being negative to them as a partner (I know of at least one club employee that's liked some quite negative Twitter comments about the partnership)

There is probably some minimum contractual posts they need to do through the season.

The problem is I don't think the club realises the strength of feeling from the fans who just want the club to pay the possibly millions to get out of such a toxic sponsorship arrangement, or how much the fans would support any efforts to break partnership.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://t.co/LUwq1xwWeZ

Complaint against our Crypto partner has been upheld by the Advertising Standards Agency, in relationship to their partnership with Arsenal..
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is being promoted at the first home game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:02 pm It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is being promoted at the first home game.
I'm more interested to know if there will a protest against them as a sponsor at the first home game?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:47 pm
Old Hob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:02 pm It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is being promoted at the first home game.
I'm more interested to know if there will a protest against them as a sponsor at the first home game?
Best protest is, no one "buys" any worthless coins or purchases anything (kit) with the name on.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
bendy

Post by bendy »

There was a fan's forum the other night (Tues?). I wonder if this was raised there at all?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who attended.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It was raised it was discussed, personally I was not satisfied with the clubs replies and whilst I understand the need for our club to size every opportunity to.obtain money from outside sources i am still of the opinion that this is a big mistake.
The club have targeted an age group that seems to be missing from our fan base and somehow they think this scheme might redress that. Personally I think they should just accept that people of that age go away to University, play the game rather than watch, get married, buy houses and start families returning to watching matches as they get older. Tigers i think could be trying to attract a market that is not there whilst actually :censored: off the existing fans.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:34 am It was raised it was discussed, personally I was not satisfied with the clubs replies and whilst I understand the need for our club to size every opportunity to.obtain money from outside sources i am still of the opinion that this is a big mistake.
The club have targeted an age group that seems to be missing from our fan base and somehow they think this scheme might redress that. Personally I think they should just accept that people of that age go away to University, play the game rather than watch, get married, buy houses and start families returning to watching matches as they get older. Tigers i think could be trying to attract a market that is not there whilst actually :censored: off the existing fans.
100% agree with this JTG well said.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm in the under 35 category this is targeted at and I'm frankly extremely disappointed in the club.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Seems to me there are three elements here.

#1 Monetising fans that because of geography can't engage directly and/or fans that want to pay for more engagement.

#2 The fact that's based on cryptocurrency and Blockchain.

#3 The ethos/governance etc of Socios the company.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

One bit that was interesting was that 11% of the season ticket holders are 20-30 (I thjink that was the age range given), compared to a national average of 18%, which to be frank doesn't sound right. Leicester as a city is, normally, much younger than the average, but what you really want to compare to is the % of season ticket holders in that age range at other clubs (football as well as rugby).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!