Is it Time to Get Rid of Twickenham?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is it Time to Get Rid of Twickenham?

Post by GB72 »

Hear me out, it has been a long hold morning and I am bored at my desk and got thinking.

One of the biggest issues that we have at the moment is that internationals are getting too little rest and too little time at their clubs. Much of this is caused, as far as I can see, by the need to bring in funds for the RFU and grass roots rugby. We cannot send a develpment squad to Australia becasue we want them to send to the star names in Autumn, we need the star names all playing in Autumn to get the crowds, we need a match against the Barbarians at home before every tour to rake in some more cash etc.

So, how do you deal with that, sell off Twickenham. The funds received from the sale would give the RFU and grass roots rugby a massive cash injection which could fund both for years whilst the pressure to have a full house for every match or to cram matches in to raise funds would be lower. It would also allow the team to play at grounds around the UK to spread the game and to even play smaller teams at smaller venues.

Twickenham is an awful music venue and so bands do not want to play there and provide extra revenue so maybe it is time to look as the ground as a millstone holding back the national team and rugby as a whole rather than the bastion of English Rugby.

As I said, bored at work and just raising one of those post season talking points but thought it may bring about some interesting debate.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it Time to Get Rid of Twickenham?

Post by wigworth »

Well the RFU selling their most valuable asset would be quite the turn up for the books. I don't really agree with the RFU needing money, they make over double the income of all other home nations and are by far the least reliant on ticket sales to generate this, from what I remember only about 20% of their income comes from ticket sales whereas for Wales is nearly 50%. It has also been said many times on Irish media that the IRFU needs Ireland to finish in the top 3 of the 6 nations every year in order to get enough prize money to help fund the union for the year, which if this were the case for the RFU Eddie would have been long gone.

Also is there pressure to sell out Twickenham? From what I see the RFU are supply constrained, there is very clearly excess demand for tickets given the price that tickets are sold at for the 6 nations and autumn internationals. Surely out of all the home unions England are in the best spot to fund grass roots rugby as they don't have to fork over for central contracts.
Last edited by wigworth on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:27 pm Hear me out, it has been a long hold morning and I am bored at my desk and got thinking.

One of the biggest issues that we have at the moment is that internationals are getting too little rest and too little time at their clubs. Much of this is caused, as far as I can see, by the need to bring in funds for the RFU and grass roots rugby. We cannot send a develpment squad to Australia becasue we want them to send to the star names in Autumn, we need the star names all playing in Autumn to get the crowds, we need a match against the Barbarians at home before every tour to rake in some more cash etc.

So, how do you deal with that, sell off Twickenham. The funds received from the sale would give the RFU and grass roots rugby a massive cash injection which could fund both for years whilst the pressure to have a full house for every match or to cram matches in to raise funds would be lower. It would also allow the team to play at grounds around the UK to spread the game and to even play smaller teams at smaller venues.

Twickenham is an awful music venue and so bands do not want to play there and provide extra revenue so maybe it is time to look as the ground as a millstone holding back the national team and rugby as a whole rather than the bastion of English Rugby.

As I said, bored at work and just raising one of those post season talking points but thought it may bring about some interesting debate.
Every stadium is terrible as a music venue, they are not built. for that purpose, bands like to play them not for the sound but for the numbers they can get through the turnstiles so in essence more money

BTW bands do want to play there as you will see next summer
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The RFU have lost alot of revenue due to COVID and have made a number of staff redundant. No crowds for the autumn internationals or six nations during COVID.
Twickenham is a huge asset and I recall that there have been some big name bands play their in the past and expect more in the future.
There may be restrictions on the number of events or timings as it is very close to a residential area.
There are plenty of marketing opportunities for Twickenham and post Covid expect to see the revenues return and enable the RFU to fund areas that have taken a hit.

Getting rid of Twickenham is not something I would consider at this moment in time. I enjoy a good day out at HQ......where would I go? :smt001
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:59 pm The RFU have lost alot of revenue due to COVID and have made a number of staff redundant. No crowds for the autumn internationals or six nations during COVID.
Twickenham is a huge asset and I recall that there have been some big name bands play their in the past and expect more in the future.
There may be restrictions on the number of events or timings as it is very close to a residential area.
There are plenty of marketing opportunities for Twickenham and post Covid expect to see the revenues return and enable the RFU to fund areas that have taken a hit.

Getting rid of Twickenham is not something I would consider at this moment in time. I enjoy a good day out at HQ......where would I go? :smt001
See I am the opposite and have stopped enjoying Twickenham as a venue for matches. I would love to see matches back at Old Trafford, St James Park etc. The international game is the part that even non rugby fans like to watch so why not play it in areas where support for the game needs to grow.

Guess I have always thought the obsession about having one venue for all international sport, whatever the sport, and all of them being in London was a bit odd but that is how we have always been. I can understand in times when there were only a limited number of stadiums with decent facilities and capacities but now they are everywhere.

Again, just throwing around ideas for disucssion.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Must admit Twickers is not a venue I enjoy going to. Paying £100 for a seat that I cannot get my knees straight out in front of me without cutting them on the seat in front is scandalous and torturous and I am only 6ft.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:27 pm Hear me out, it has been a long hold morning and I am bored at my desk and got thinking.

You are not just bored but I think you are also getting hold. :smt052
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:59 pm The RFU have lost alot of revenue due to COVID and have made a number of staff redundant. No crowds for the autumn internationals or six nations during COVID.

See I am the opposite and have stopped enjoying Twickenham as a venue for matches. I would love to see matches back at Old Trafford, St James Park etc. The international game is the part that even non rugby fans like to watch so why not play it in areas where support for the game needs to grow.

Guess I have always thought the obsession about having one venue for all international sport, whatever the sport, and all of them being in London was a bit odd but that is how we have always been. I can understand in times when there were only a limited number of stadiums with decent facilities and capacities but now they are everywhere.

Completely agree. There is an inherent snobbishness here. Play at places like Old Trafford, Elland Road, St James' Park and watch interest sky rocket. Mad that we have strong club sides like Newcastle and Sale and yet folk up there never get to see test rugby.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:57 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm

Completely agree. There is an inherent snobbishness here. Play at places like Old Trafford, Elland Road, St James' Park and watch interest sky rocket. Mad that we have strong club sides like Newcastle and Sale and yet folk up there never get to see test rugby.
What difference will that make? capacity will be lower which means tickets will be more expensive so less people will get to see the games
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Northerners don't eat enough prawn sarnies, so that would never work.............................................. :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm Northerners don't eat enough prawn sarnies, so that would never work.............................................. :smt004
You've obviously never been to Old Trafford :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:49 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm Northerners don't eat enough prawn sarnies, so that would never work.............................................. :smt004
I did, city had to win to stay in the first division and we lost 4-2 I think it was, think Bobby Charlton scored and possibly George Best as well, think Rodney Fern scored one of Leicester's lol...............man that was a long time ago.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:45 pm
I did, city had to win to stay in the first division and we lost 4-2 I think it was, think Bobby Charlton scored and possibly George Best as well, think Rodney Fern scored one of Leicester's lol...............man that was a long time ago.
Was that when Shilton turned out in all white kit, or was that a cup game
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:51 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:45 pm

Was that when Shilton turned out in all white kit, or was that a cup game
Can't remember if it was Shilton or Banks in goal to be honest.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Presumably the RFU would have to pay to hire anywhere other than Twickenham. Also what about catering income etc,, would it be different between Twickers and elsewhere ?