Is it Time to Get Rid of Twickenham?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it Time to Get Rid of Twickenham?

Post by Postiger2 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:39 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:57 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm

See I am the opposite and have stopped enjoying Twickenham as a venue for matches. I would love to see matches back at Old Trafford, St James Park etc. The international game is the part that even non rugby fans like to watch so why not play it in areas where support for the game needs to grow.

Guess I have always thought the obsession about having one venue for all international sport, whatever the sport, and all of them being in London was a bit odd but that is how we have always been. I can understand in times when there were only a limited number of stadiums with decent facilities and capacities but now they are everywhere.

Again, just throwing around ideas for disucssion.
Completely agree. There is an inherent snobbishness here. Play at places like Old Trafford, Elland Road, St James' Park and watch interest sky rocket. Mad that we have strong club sides like Newcastle and Sale and yet folk up there never get to see test rugby.
What difference will that make? capacity will be lower which means tickets will be more expensive so less people will get to see the games
With all due respect, to only consider the financial impact of the games in isolation is a bit narrow-minded. The point is that the game would be showcased to potentially new audiences, this growing the game over a longer period. You could take the attitude that there's no point doing that but rugby league attendances (for example) have dwindled over the past 5-10 years so that may suggest there's a gap in the market, even in League heartland. The England cricket team seems to move round the country pretty successfully, selling out at every test match. I've lived in Leeds and Manchester and I think most see Union as a southern sport which is a shame imho as the game could be big in the North but it's unlikely if the national team doesn't appear to really represent folk up there. Others might like it that way, I don't know. I'm not saying England should tour every year but they never venture from Twickenham which I personally think is a missed opportunity.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:10 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:39 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:57 pm

Completely agree. There is an inherent snobbishness here. Play at places like Old Trafford, Elland Road, St James' Park and watch interest sky rocket. Mad that we have strong club sides like Newcastle and Sale and yet folk up there never get to see test rugby.
What difference will that make? capacity will be lower which means tickets will be more expensive so less people will get to see the games
With all due respect, to only consider the financial impact of the games in isolation is a bit narrow-minded. The point is that the game would be showcased to potentially new audiences, this growing the game over a longer period. You could take the attitude that there's no point doing that but rugby league attendances (for example) have dwindled over the past 5-10 years so that may suggest there's a gap in the market, even in League heartland. The England cricket team seems to move round the country pretty successfully, selling out at every test match. I've lived in Leeds and Manchester and I think most see Union as a southern sport which is a shame imho as the game could be big in the North but it's unlikely if the national team doesn't appear to really represent folk up there. Others might like it that way, I don't know. I'm not saying England should tour every year but they never venture from Twickenham which I personally think is a missed opportunity.
They did play at St James' Park in 2019 as part of their world cup warm up, I believe the last time before that was in 2009 at Old Trafford against Argentina.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I don't find the "Twickenham experience" much fun. I once sat in the highest tier which is so steep that my feet were practically on the shoulders of the woman in front and so far away from the pitch it was like watching animated subbuteo. Buying a couple of burgers and a pint or two requires a small mortgage and the crowd press into the railway station is scary. Other stadiums like St James's Park are near large, mainline stations, have an attractive hinterland for further entertainment which would easily soak up a large crowd, and the beer in the NE is definitely cheaper.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Horrendous to get to from outside London, expensive and full of corporate and debenture types who know naff all about rugby. Last time I went, 6 Nations vs Italy….bloke sat next to me appeared during the anthems, hammered and kept asking me what the Spurs score was the whole match ! Not a pleasant experience.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Expensive, crowded, full of drunk people.

But the RFU will sell out every full international and get plenty of additional income from other events. So it ain't gonna happen.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:15 pm Expensive, crowded, full of drunk people.

But the RFU will sell out every full international and get plenty of additional income from other events. So it ain't gonna happen.
I don't think that is particularly unique to Twickenham, every home nations stadium is the same.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

wigworth wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:03 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:15 pm Expensive, crowded, full of drunk people.

I don't think that is particularly unique to Twickenham, every home nations stadium is the same.
Do you really think that moving locations will change the cost? Think again
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:03 am

I think that moving around the country would allow more to see the national side withouth massive transport costs and the other associated higher costs (food, drink, accomodation, parking) that come as a result of playing every match in London.

That said, I think that the football team should move around the country as well. There was an argument for Wembley when there were less world class stadiums around the county but now there are dozens that could easily host international matches.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:11 am
Chobbsy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:03 am

I think that moving around the country would allow more to see the national side withouth massive transport costs and the other associated higher costs (food, drink, accomodation, parking) that come as a result of playing every match in London.

That said, I think that the football team should move around the country as well. There was an argument for Wembley when there were less world class stadiums around the county but now there are dozens that could easily host international matches.
Food drink and parking would be no different, there would be less tickets available which means less tickets going to clubs
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Moving around the country will incur costs to the RFU for using the stadiums so less income of revenue or higher ticket prices for the fans.
They have a stadium which can generate the income and also be used for other activities such as concerts, hotel, weekday hospitality and functions. Losing this or not using it it will reduce and finance available for the grass roots of rugby IMO
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I went with my son to watch Guns N Roses at the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium on 2 July - the catering there puts Twickenham to shame, although I will caveat that with the fact that beer was actually even more expensive than when we went to HQ for the final a few weeks earlier. The loos were more pleasant too and it wasn't just all the concrete walls everywhere that you get at Twickenham. The stewards were professional and friendly and clearly had more experience than those employed at Twickenham - I guess being more used to regularly dealing with football fans makes dealing with rock music fans, most of whom were 40 upwards (albeit some taking kids along) and out for the music, an easier shift.

Getting out of the ground was fairly easy but the negative was getting away on public transport (tubes and buses) was a nightmare!
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:12 pm I went with my son to watch Guns N Roses at the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium on 2 July - the catering there puts Twickenham to shame, although I will caveat that with the fact that beer was actually even more expensive than when we went to HQ for the final a few weeks earlier. The loos were more pleasant too and it wasn't just all the concrete walls everywhere that you get at Twickenham. The stewards were professional and friendly and clearly had more experience than those employed at Twickenham - I guess being more used to regularly dealing with football fans makes dealing with rock music fans, most of whom were 40 upwards (albeit some taking kids along) and out for the music, an easier shift.

Getting out of the ground was fairly easy but the negative was getting away on public transport (tubes and buses) was a nightmare!
You obviously went on the second night
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm
WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:12 pm I went with my son to watch Guns N Roses at the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium on 2 July - the catering there puts Twickenham to shame, although I will caveat that with the fact that beer was actually even more expensive than when we went to HQ for the final a few weeks earlier. The loos were more pleasant too and it wasn't just all the concrete walls everywhere that you get at Twickenham. The stewards were professional and friendly and clearly had more experience than those employed at Twickenham - I guess being more used to regularly dealing with football fans makes dealing with rock music fans, most of whom were 40 upwards (albeit some taking kids along) and out for the music, an easier shift.

Yes we did, and according to the set lists, we had fewer songs!
Were you referring to the stewarding or the public transport issues that I made? Was the stewarding different and was the ground less full on Friday?
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Were you referring to the stewarding or the public transport issues that I made? Was the stewarding different and was the ground less full on Friday?
Neither, it was over 2 hours late opening, they had no external toilets for the people queueing and no water available externally
As for the food choice, have you tried the West fan village at Twickenham food from around the world in food trucks
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Oh and the sound, but the sound is terrible in any stadium they aren't made for concerts, but the artists like to use them because you can get so many in hence make more money