Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by ay2oh »

Agree with some of that. Billy V was very unfit after injury and as he’s got fitter has been much more effective . Marchant is a good player but playing alongside Farrell is difficult as he hardly ever passes. Injuries to key players such as Watson, May, Tuilagi , Launchbury , Joseph, Sinckler would hamper any side.
Think Chessum, JVP, and obviously Steward will be in the squad long term. Bit early to say regarding Heyes and Porter.
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

For me Marchant lacks the ball carrying power to be a top level international centre.

May seemed to have begun to slow down prior to his lnjury and to be fair this was noticeable even when he was still at Tigers.
Launchbury has been a top league player but hasn’t translated that to the international scene.

Manu, world class but you cannot build your side and tactics around a unique player with his injury record.
When he is fit, play him but don’t pick your squad and base game around him and seem surprised it doesn’t work when he isn’t there in the way Jones seems to.

A fit Sinckler is important but the replacements have done pretty well.

The defensive structure looks vulnerable.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Launchbury is better than hill in my opinion. Alternatively move Lawes back into 2nd row and have Billy V, Curry and Ludlam/Underhill in the back row.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 am Launchbury is better than hill in my opinion. Alternatively move Lawes back into 2nd row and have Billy V, Curry and Ludlam/Underhill in the back row.
Curry back in uk
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Underhill for me is England’s best flanker when fit and firing on all cylinders. But presently he doesn’t even deserve to be touring. Earl has been on fire all season and would’ve been great starting against Australia.

I know Eddie been getting loads of stick but how many players are missing from the backline. Youngs, Tuilagi, Slade, May and Watson would be nailed on first choice.

Some of the younger backs like Smith, Marchant, Randall, Cokanasiga have hardly taken their chance.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Curry is by a distance England's best flanker with all fully fit in my opinion. Underhill is a fantastic player though.

I doubt Slade would be starting XV with all fit either. Most likely 10.Smith 12.Farrell 13.Tuilagi.

Unpopular opinion to share here so will probably get pelted but much as I love him Lenny has had some very poor England performances in the last two years. If JvP and Quirke stay fit I wouldn't be surprised if they are England's scrum-halves in the very near future.

May and Watson would improve the side a lot. Very strong all round games these days but offer more in attack than the alternatives seen. I also think they will suit the game plan England are moving to very well given both run excellent support lines. Watching Watson and Steward hopefully develop a partnership at Tigers will be great fun. If England can move towards Steward, Watson, May, Arundell, Freeman and Nowell as a group of back three players I'd be very happy.

Earl being dumped is an odd one to me though. He seems to fit how England play very well and his form for Sarries has been excellent. His pace (he's genuinely quicker than many backs) is a point of difference England haven't had in the forwards for a while as well.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Earle is a bit underpowered for an international back row and presumably this is why he hasn’t been picked. Either that or for being profoundly annoying.