Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:39 pm Don't know if it was confirmed but there were rumours that Dingwall had a rolled his ankle and Marchant had a knock.
Ah that would make a lot of sense, cheers!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:38 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:27 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm This will be a very unpopular opinion but I'm not sure JVP is ready to start for England just yet. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fabulous talent and he will definitely go on to be an England regular (injury permitting), I just personally feel it's a bit soon for him to be starting a high-pressure test match.

I genuinely hope he makes me look an idiot with his performance on Saturday and I will happily eat humble pie. I just think he's still a bit of a rough diamond.
JVP having a stormer so far :smt005
Thanks Postiger2 for jinxing JVP, can you do it again next week?

His box kicks were spot on, and the speed of his passes looked better than Care.
JVP looked entirely at home at international level didn't he. Care added good tempo off the bench as per usual for him at this level.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

MrG2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 am Not a big fan of Hill but he’s like. Man possessed out there. Think he may have been given a rocket up his
2 good games in 2 weeks now. Haven’t been impressed with J Hill previously, but maybe now we’re seeing why Gatland took him to South Africa?
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:42 pm
MrG2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 am Not a big fan of Hill but he’s like. Man possessed out there. Think he may have been given a rocket up his
2 good games in 2 weeks now. Haven’t been impressed with J Hill previously, but maybe now we’re seeing why Gatland took him to South Africa?
That said, we shouldn’t be losing that many lineouts when we have 3 options to hit.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

JVP gave England much quicker ruck ball but Care really helped wrestle back control in the second half.

Not convinced by Lawes as a captain. He doesn’t communicate well with his team or the ref. Not sure he has the smarts to be a top notch leader. One player I think must start next week is Ludlum. His impact has been excellent- I know he’s a saint but I rate him.

Smith still doesn’t convince me. He has ability but his kicking is off and defensively he is a liability. Of the two half backs JVP appears to have better basics.

The set piece was better but I’m still not sure it would stand up to the best in the world.

Biggest concern is our defence. We missed twice as many tackles as them and look very porous in our 22.
England have the worst defence of the top 6 teams in the world. We won’t win anything as it currently stands.

A step forward for England but lots of work on. Captaincy still not sorted, Underhill ineffective, Smith unconvincing and poor defensively.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

From a tigers point, JVP looked like a test veteran. Absolutely fearless, ran round like he’d been playing at this level for years. Played with his head up and provided real urgency at the breakdown.
Porter, nothing flash, but didn’t look out of his depth either. Didn’t get much opportunity going forward, but shored up the midfield, thought Kerevi and Paisami were well marshalled. Steward just looks imperious, unflappable. Heyes came and played his part, nothing outstanding, but decent set piece and good workrate. Chessum the same, came on for Itoje and just got about his business, growing nicely. Genge, definitely thought he had the upper hand in the much hyped clash with Tupou. His carry over the top of Hooper early on set the tone.

Away from Tigers, I think Billy V looks reborn. Looks fitter and more dynamic than ever, mixing his game up, putting some footwork on to get at outside shoulders rather than straight crash. Nowell is an absolute dynamo, always looking for work and punches way above his weight in contact, carrying and tackling. Lawes, immense over the ball, some great turnovers. Ludlum adds some tempo and dynamism off the bench.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

So Reffell stole the show last week in his first cap for Wales and the best player on the opposition was Weise. While Montoya led the Pumas to a convincing win. And this week JVP builds on his storming try last week by having a brilliant first start for England with Steward sublime and the rest of our white shirted Tigers all rock solid. Porter demonstrating he’s also a shoe in to be our new Moroni.

I think I’ll put that down as a not too bad couple of days at the office for our international Tiger contingent.

I’d also second FRUM that it’s great to see Billy V back to his former bulldozing self. Also have to give some credit to Farrell; Smith was the little boy lost today.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 pm So Reffell stole the show last week in his first cap for Wales and the best player on the opposition was Weise. While Montoya led the Pumas to a convincing win. And this week JVP builds on his storming try last week by having a brilliant first start for England with Steward sublime and the rest of our white shirted Tigers all rock solid. Porter demonstrating he’s also a shoe in to be our new Moroni.

I think I’ll put that down as a not too bad couple of days at the office for our international Tiger contingent.

I’d also second FRUM that it’s great to see Billy V back to his former bulldozing self. Also have to give some credit to Farrell; Smith was the little boy lost today.
Pretty much agree with all of that
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:38 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:27 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm This will be a very unpopular opinion but I'm not sure JVP is ready to start for England just yet. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fabulous talent and he will definitely go on to be an England regular (injury permitting), I just personally feel it's a bit soon for him to be starting a high-pressure test match.

I genuinely hope he makes me look an idiot with his performance on Saturday and I will happily eat humble pie. I just think he's still a bit of a rough diamond.
JVP having a stormer so far :smt005
Thanks Postiger2 for jinxing JVP, can you do it again next week?

His box kicks were spot on, and the speed of his passes looked better than Care.
He was brilliant. Shows how much I know!

I'm sure it was a one-off though and he'll be terrible next week :smt003
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:43 pm I thought Farrel was very good today,credit to him!
Agreed, I thought he was excellent. Thought it was interesting that, in the second half when we were up against it, the team seemed to play with Farrell at 10 and Smith at 12 when attacking and then switch back when defending. I think Smith is a great talent and well-worth persisting with but I thought it was interesting that the team turned to OF when it got a bit hairy and he guided them through. Last week it was always Smith at 10 and we lost our way completely (not all his fault, obviously).
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:45 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:43 pm I thought Farrel was very good today,credit to him!
Agreed, I thought he was excellent. Thought it was interesting that, in the second half when we were up against it, the team seemed to play with Farrell at 10 and Smith at 12 when attacking and then switch back when defending. I think Smith is a great talent and well-worth persisting with but I thought it was interesting that the team turned to OF when it got a bit hairy and he guided them through. Last week it was always Smith at 10 and we lost our way completely (not all his fault, obviously).
For me Smith hardly contributed today apart from a couple of ropey kicks and some speed bump tackles. He is undoubtedly a special talent but is a waste of a shirt if England are going to adapt a more pragmatic approach
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

From a Tigers perspective got to be happy with how our players did. I know Chessum has cemented a starting spot but wouldn’t be surprised now to see Heyes and JVP making the first XV next season. One of the best games I’ve seen from JVP, great talent.

I’ve no doubt Kelly would’ve been in the mix too if fit. Borthwick stuck him straight back at 12 for the semi and centre is a problem position for England. Seems to be very highly regarded.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:53 pm From a Tigers perspective got to be happy with how our players did. I know Chessum has cemented a starting spot but wouldn’t be surprised now to see Heyes and JVP making the first XV next season. One of the best games I’ve seen from JVP, great talent.

I’ve no doubt Kelly would’ve been in the mix too if fit. Borthwick stuck him straight back at 12 for the semi and centre is a problem position for England. Seems to be very highly regarded.
A meteoric rise for him considering he was signed as a relative unknown to most of us and started tearing it up almost straight away. He's been a helluva find for us.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Robrugbycheshire wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:35 pm Arundell on Ford to 10 porter 12 nowell 13!! Yet again Smith showing he isn’t good enough at test level!!
Ford ??? are we watching the same game?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What we learned:
The Tigers contingent showed that our youngsters are test quality.
Can the same be said of Quins’s players. Smith anonymous and frankly Marchant missing made the centres look better.
Billy V looks fit and as such demonstrates the error of Jones picking Sarries players when they were in the Championship. (Same applied to Farrell, Macko and Itoje)
Underhill looks a player who’s star shone brightly but briefly and to be honest if he wasn’t a Bath player would he be near the squad on his for in recent years?

England would probably have won by a bigger margin but for the scrum penalty awarded in error to Australia that led to their first try. Had that been awarded to England and been put into the corner and us scored there would have been no way back.