Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:25 am Don't think the balance on the bench is too much of a concern. Getting Smith + Farrell to work is more significant, as is JVP having a good game. TBH if this was always the plan for game 2, I'd have liked to see him get more playing time in game 1. I am also wondering what has become of Randall?
Paying the price for an awful performance Vs the Baabaas? Perhaps in camp JVP has looked hungrier and Eddie likes his attitude.

I agree with HC, Eddie needs to widen his pool of potential players so he's got to introduce fresh blood at some point. There's much go on a out his favourites and no new chances one minute and then when we takes a chance on some younger players there's the assumption we aren't picking a team to win. I'm not an Eddie fan but it looks like people will put the boot in whatever he does, well unless he starts winning.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Randall and Smith together makes for a lightweight half back pairing. At international level you could play one or the other. Play them together and the big lads will run over them. You can manage a smaller back if their tackle technique is good (like George Ford) but if their technique is suspect or there are 2 lightweights it is difficult to manage. Compound that with Farrell at centre tackling high it is hard for the back rows to get in and support at the tackle- are they joining 8n to make the tackle or competing for the ball?
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Iam still not sure if Farrell is the best in the centre, nor do I feel playing Smith & Farrell will encourage the ball to go along the line with two kickers. I hope Porter gets the ball a few times.
My biggest concern is the terrible officials in the less than dynamic duo of Referee Andrew Brace (Ire.) and his regular TMO Joy Neville also of Ireland who we have seen regularly interrupting and referees from the cabin. Assistants Paul Williams of NZ and Craig Evans of Wales..
If I recall Gengie was not impressed with Brace on previous occasions. But we shall see, if they allow a free flowing game free of high tackles and cards. :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

This will be a very unpopular opinion but I'm not sure JVP is ready to start for England just yet. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fabulous talent and he will definitely go on to be an England regular (injury permitting), I just personally feel it's a bit soon for him to be starting a high-pressure test match.

I genuinely hope he makes me look an idiot with his performance on Saturday and I will happily eat humble pie. I just think he's still a bit of a rough diamond.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm This will be a very unpopular opinion but I'm not sure JVP is ready to start for England just yet. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fabulous talent and he will definitely go on to be an England regular (injury permitting), I just personally feel it's a bit soon for him to be starting a high-pressure test match.

I genuinely hope he makes me look an idiot with his performance on Saturday and I will happily eat humble pie. I just think he's still a bit of a rough diamond.
I suspect there's a chance EJ agrees with you.

Thing is he doesn't give two hoots about a test match vs Aus, or a 6Nations match. All he cares about it the World Cup, so he may be trying to see if JVP can be made ready by the 2023 WC
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:13 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm This will be a very unpopular opinion but I'm not sure JVP is ready to start for England just yet. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fabulous talent and he will definitely go on to be an England regular (injury permitting), I just personally feel it's a bit soon for him to be starting a high-pressure test match.

I suspect there's a chance EJ agrees with you.

Thing is he doesn't give two hoots about a test match vs Aus, or a 6Nations match. All he cares about it the World Cup, so he may be trying to see if JVP can be made ready by the 2023 WC
Yes, that's a fair point. I guess I have a slight concern that this is perhaps not the best thing for JVP in terms of his development at this precise moment but I hope I'm wrong. I look at the handling of someone like Harry Randall and it makes me a fear a little for our Jack.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

He’ll be OK
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I was annoyed JVP wasn't playing in the prem final. I was of course completely wrong to doubt SB but I think he'll be reet. It's not a high pressure test match really, it's a summer tour with trials in mind.

I think he's got a good head on him, SB has made him captain a few times so he must have something about him.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

ads wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:02 pm I was annoyed JVP wasn't playing in the prem final. I was of course completely wrong to doubt SB but I think he'll be reet. It's not a high pressure test match really, it's a summer tour with trials in mind.

I think he's got a good head on him, SB has made him captain a few times so he must have something about him.
Delighted for JVP to get an England start. Audition time!!

That said, and hope EJ proves me wrong, but I’m still baffled why EJ insists playing Farrell at 12? It’s like nothing has been learnt in 12 months. For me, Farrell is still an excellent 10 but a poor 12 as he can’t help himself trying to do the 10s job. So for me you play Smith OR Farrell at 10. This then allows England to employ a “proper” hard hitting / defending 12. Instead, it’s pretty obvious where Australia are going to target! As a result, Porter risks being put in a dreadful position.

Personally, I don’t see the “wonder” yet in Smith that others see at International level. Then again, EJ seems too much of a control freak to give him the chance. It seems EJ is unwilling to trust his team to play the free flowing Quins way and is slowly going back to a Tigers/Sarries way, which suits Farrell at 10. So for this test I’d have Farrell at 10 and leave Smith on the bench for when the game inevitably opens up.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Japan currently 15-7 ahead of France
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If i see Itoje screaming at the first lineout I might just switch off!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:05 am
ads wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:02 pm I was annoyed JVP wasn't playing in the prem final. I was of course completely wrong to doubt SB but I think he'll be reet. It's not a high pressure test match really, it's a summer tour with trials in mind.

Delighted for JVP to get an England start. Audition time!!

That said, and hope EJ proves me wrong, but I’m still baffled why EJ insists playing Farrell at 12? It’s like nothing has been learnt in 12 months. For me, Farrell is still an excellent 10 but a poor 12 as he can’t help himself trying to do the 10s job. So for me you play Smith OR Farrell at 10. This then allows England to employ a “proper” hard hitting / defending 12. Instead, it’s pretty obvious where Australia are going to target! As a result, Porter risks being put in a dreadful position.

Personally, I don’t see the “wonder” yet in Smith that others see at International level. Then again, EJ seems too much of a control freak to give him the chance. It seems EJ is unwilling to trust his team to play the free flowing Quins way and is slowly going back to a Tigers/Sarries way, which suits Farrell at 10. So for this test I’d have Farrell at 10 and leave Smith on the bench for when the game inevitably opens up.
Smith hasn’t done anything starting at test level. When Eng are at their best, the bench ups the intensity in the last quarter. Wouldn’t he be better off the bench at this stage when a game opens up?

This is by no means a vintage Aussie side. Eng need to step up and Lawes show some captaincy.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Eddie loses this he should take the train and get out of dodge!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Australia getting away with murder at the breakdown.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Difference between JVP and Cares speed in getting it away already!