Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:57 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:53 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:31 pm

I'm not so sure TCD is ahead of Vanes
Has Vanes any GP appearances? I know TCD has. But that doesn’t mean anything tbf and for all we know Horton could hit the ground running and be our bench GP hooker.
not sure, I don't think he has but he was also on loan last season
Only PRC for Vanes so far and in those 4 PRC performances only one start. Genge said something on the podcast that Borthwick has done a lot of work with Vanes on his throwing and that Vanes struggled to hit a barn door before Borthwick came in. It's looked pretty good in his PRC appearances so far but Borthwick might have in his mind a full season at Nottingham just to try and turn it into a real strength before he comes into senior squad rotation.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:39 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:57 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Has Vanes any GP appearances? I know TCD has. But that doesn’t mean anything tbf and for all we know Horton could hit the ground running and be our bench GP hooker.
not sure, I don't think he has but he was also on loan last season
Only PRC for Vanes so far and in those 4 PRC performances only one start. Genge said something on the podcast that Borthwick has done a lot of work with Vanes on his throwing and that Vanes struggled to hit a barn door before Borthwick came in. It's looked pretty good in his PRC appearances so far but Borthwick might have in his mind a full season at Nottingham just to try and turn it into a real strength before he comes into senior squad rotation.
Then who is the 4th hooker if Montoya and Dolly are out? Be a big risk to go with just 3 with the PRC starting earlier this season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbf though Clare is an 80 minute player or close to so TCD and Horton might be enough. When are Dolly and Montoya back?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd expect Vanes to largely be starting for Notts this coming season. He'd claimed the starting shirt from Farnworth by the end of last season. Starting Championship games and playing PRC is a really good place for him to be development wise given his age and position.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:10 pm I'd expect Vanes to largely be starting for Notts this coming season. He'd claimed the starting shirt from Farnworth by the end of last season. Starting Championship games and playing PRC is a really good place for him to be development wise given his age and position.
So we are going with 3 hookers then to start the season? Or will we use Vanes in the PRC?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:27 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:10 pm I'd expect Vanes to largely be starting for Notts this coming season. He'd claimed the starting shirt from Farnworth by the end of last season. Starting Championship games and playing PRC is a really good place for him to be development wise given his age and position.
So we are going with 3 hookers then to start the season? Or will we use Vanes in the PRC?
Well we'll have four but one is on loan at Nottingham to keep match fit and be recalled if we need him.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:32 pm
Well we'll have four but one is on loan at Nottingham to keep match fit and be recalled if we need him.
Still doesn't answer my question! Do you think think we will use 3 or 4 hookers at the start of the season? IE 2 in the league and 2 in the PRC,or will we start with 3 rotating them between the 2 competitions and then just recall Vanes if we get a knock etc
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Its like pulling teeth 😂
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:33 pm

Still doesn't answer my question! Do you think think we will use 3 or 4 hookers at the start of the season? IE 2 in the league and 2 in the PRC,or will we start with 3 rotating them between the 2 competitions and then just recall Vanes if we get a knock etc
Scott, I don't think anyone can answer you. It depends on the fitness and form of Clare and TCD. If the new hooker is good, then I'd imagine a rotation of TCD and the new hooker (+ Vanes) through the GP and the Prem Cup. Clare to start in the GP and unlikely to play much, if at all, in the Prem Cup.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:33 pm

I'd assume we'd rotate the players round so the third and four choice players play in the PRC. Only exception might be if they feel the need to manage Vanes game time.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks guys!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I think that this may mean dual registration for Vanes may occur. That said I wouldn't be surprised if TCD also gets some loan time out. When Montoya and Dolly are back we'll have

Montoya
Dolly
Horton
Clare

As our clear first 4, plus Vanes & Smith in the Development squad.

If Vanes kicks on this season then even if he isn't ahead of TCD now (which he's close to being already) he'll be ahead by Christmas.

I can't see him staying as our 6th choice.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:17 pm Personally I think that this may mean dual registration for Vanes may occur. That said I wouldn't be surprised if TCD also gets some loan time out. When Montoya and Dolly are back we'll have

Montoya
Dolly
Horton
Clare

If Vanes kicks on this season then even if he isn't ahead of TCD now (which he's close to being already) he'll be ahead by Christmas.

How long is Horton here?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:21 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:17 pm Personally I think that this may mean dual registration for Vanes may occur. That said I wouldn't be surprised if TCD also gets some loan time out. When Montoya and Dolly are back we'll have

Montoya
Dolly
Horton
Clare

How long is Horton here?
Not sure, possibly signed as injury cover for Dolly (cap wise anyway) but either way to me Cowan-Dickie probably has reached a peak, a dual registration with Nottingham may mean he can help when we have injuries etc, but can't see him getting significant game time with us if I'm honest.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=828275 time=1659299614 user_id=34255]
[quote=Scott1 post_id=828274 time=1659298893 user_id=11569]
[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=828273 time=1659298650 user_id=34255]
Personally I think that this may mean dual registration for Vanes may occur. That said I wouldn't be surprised if TCD also gets some loan time out. When Montoya and Dolly are back we'll have

Montoya
Dolly
Horton
Clare

[/quote]

How long is Horton here?
[/quote]

Not sure, possibly signed as injury cover for Dolly (cap wise anyway) but either way to me Cowan-Dickie probably has reached a peak, a dual registration with Nottingham may mean he can help when we have injuries etc, but can't see him getting significant game time with us if I'm honest.
[/quote]

In the press report, it says he is on a short term deal, so it does seem like an injury cover signing.