LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

Very few props carry as well or as much as Sinckler. The only other comparable one in the UK left us in the summer. Sinckler has suffered a bit at Bristol where he's struggled for fitness and where the tighthead has often had to carry the scrum.

Borthwick knows him well from England and if he thinks Sinckler would be a valuable addition then I'd back him. Heyes and Hurd are both 23 and Hoyt 19. Where Cole to retire next summer then we'd have three tightheads all under 25, that's a very young selection of tightheads. I'm not sure Cole would retire this might just be part of early conversations.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:58 am We also had Franck Tournaire for a year.

Definitely NO to Sinkler .. not a fan of his on several counts.

I agree I would like to see Heyes step right up to the fore and Hurd and Hoyt following behind

We also have the US guy who may be useful.

I think Hurd could develop in something very useful from the little bits I’ve seen so far .. I hope he gets an extended run especially in the Prem cup .. then we’ll see what he’s made of
Joe Taufete'e, the US guy, is a hooker (and from the run out he had on Friday eve looks promising if he can improve throwing in)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:10 pm
mightymouse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:58 am We also had Franck Tournaire for a year.

I agree I would like to see Heyes step right up to the fore and Hurd and Hoyt following behind

I think Hurd could develop in something very useful from the little bits I’ve seen so far .. I hope he gets an extended run especially in the Prem cup .. then we’ll see what he’s made of
Joe Taufete'e, the US guy, is a hooker (and from the run out he had on Friday eve looks promising if he can improve throwing in)
He plays TH too mate,I believe his most recent games for USA have been at prop
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:16 pm

So this last season he's played more at TH than hooker, all 5 of his starts at 3 have come in the last 12 months. May explain why his throwing is rusty. Definitely fits the Borthwick mould of wanting versatile players and building depth that way.

https://all.rugby/player/joe-taufete-e# ... 014%25%20)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:16 pm

thanks - I didn't know that - Tigers only mentioned hooker in their press release.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

He certainly looks a big enough unit to play TH .. weighs in at 19st if I remember correctly and does indeed play both 2 and 3.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:40 pm He certainly looks a big enough unit to play TH .. weighs in at 19st if I remember correctly and does indeed play both 2 and 3.
I thought the TH thing was pretty recent and an experiment by USA Rugby to try and increase patchy depth at prop. I have heard a couple of people elsewhere describe it as not the best use of the player.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The Sinckler rumour doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for the following reasons.

Cole was in great form last season, but I suppose you never know what a player is thinking for retirement and Cole has had a tough decade at prop for Tigers and England - doesn't get much more physically demanding than that.

Heyes seems ready to take the number one spot.

Sinckler's big fat pay cheque and limited availability.

We'd be much better off signing one of these world class Georgian or Argentinian props that no one else has ever heard of. Don't know why we haven't already signed at least two of them. And while we're on it, why havent we snapped up a handful of those 20 stone, 10-second-100m, Pacific Island wingers who, inexplicably, no one else wants and are desperate to play in England for buttons? :smt017
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I don't see Cole retiring after this season, unless he has either a) injury issues, b) very poor form or c) personal off field issues.

Let's face it last season he was arguably the best English TH in the Prem. EJ may not have him in his plans for the WC, but if two out of Sinkler, Stuart or Heyes are injured. I reckon he'll be in the squad, even if players like Collier are having another great season. He won't go without someone with experience at test level unless he really has to.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

In his under the stripes film Taufetee says he’s a hooker
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have one or two concerns about the article in the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gal ... 59836.html - which goes through the incomers and the leavers for each club and according to the article, we are the only club who has really expanded the size of our squad. I know it is not about the number of players but it is about what they are paid and which players are outside the cap, but when 11 of the other clubs have had to reduce in order to be inside the cap, I hope we have done our sums correctly. I am sure that RB will have a view/explanation about this. IBWT

---------- IN ---- OUT - Net change
Tigers 9 ----- 5 ----- +4
Bath 11 ----- 10 ----- +1
Bristol 5 ----- 8 ----- - 3
Exeter 5 ----- 9 ----- - 4
Glaws 1 ----- 7 ----- - 6
Quins 2 ----- 5 ----- - 3
Irish 5 ----- 9 ------ - 4
New 3 ----- 8 ----- - 5
Saints 5 ----- 7 ----- - 3
Sharks 5 ----- 8 ---- - 3
Sarries 4 ----- 5 ----- - 1
Wasps 5 ----- 10 ----- - 5
Worcs 7 ------ 8 ---- - 1
Hehehehehehehehe
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Don;t forget that we let a few go during last season and so our squad was down a few in numbers and we have 2 more leaving in December so I am not sure that we are that different, just that out leavers cannot be easily pidgenholed into those who left when the whistle blew to end last season. Also have to look at the fact that, of our leavers, we had at least 2, and maybe 3 of the highest earners at the club.

Also not sure how we had only 5 leavers. Without thinking I can name Ford, Genge, VS, Moroni, Aspland-Robinson and I think Olowofala left on a permanent deal and I would assume that Tom Youngs would could as a leaver from the end of last season. Maybe 5 solid first team players left but more than that overall.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:56 am I have one or two concerns about the article in the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gal ... 59836.html - which goes through the incomers and the leavers for each club and according to the article, we are the only club who has really expanded the size of our squad. I know it is not about the number of players but it is about what they are paid and which players are outside the cap, but when 11 of the other clubs have had to reduce in order to be inside the cap, I hope we have done our sums correctly. I am sure that RB will have a view/explanation about this. IBWT

New 3 ----- 8 ----- - 5
1 - we very publically with the drop in salaries got all players to immediately drop salaries. The salary cap came into force then, but had exemptions for any contract signed previously. This is why the clubs who kept salaries high have only reached an issue with the cap this year when that exemption on earlier signed contracts comes into force.

2 - 5 leavers, isn't strictly correct, the following have left: Ford, Genge, Moroni, Youngs, Van Staden, Taute, Socino, Aspland-Robinson, Law, Olowofela & Rowntree.
Plus the following left mid season: K Van Wyk, Brink & Lancaster.
Though the article is only listing senior squad leavers, that though is still 7, plus 2 mid season (missed out Youngs and Socino)

3 - One of those signed is a short term injury replacement for Dolly
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:37 pm
trendylfj wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:56 am I have one or two concerns about the article in the Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gal ... 59836.html - which goes through the incomers and the leavers for each club and according to the article, we are the only club who has really expanded the size of our squad. I know it is not about the number of players but it is about what they are paid and which players are outside the cap, but when 11 of the other clubs have had to reduce in order to be inside the cap, I hope we have done our sums correctly. I am sure that RB will have a view/explanation about this. IBWT

New 3 ----- 8 ----- - 5
1 - we very publically with the drop in salaries got all players to immediately drop salaries. The salary cap came into force then, but had exemptions for any contract signed previously. This is why the clubs who kept salaries high have only reached an issue with the cap this year when that exemption on earlier signed contracts comes into force.

2 - 5 leavers, isn't strictly correct, the following have left: Ford, Genge, Moroni, Youngs, Van Staden, Taute, Socino, Aspland-Robinson, Law, Olowofela & Rowntree.
Plus the following left mid season: K Van Wyk, Brink & Lancashire
Lancaster I think you mean :smt048 :smt003
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:40 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:37 pm

New 3 ----- 8 ----- - 5

Plus the following left mid season: K Van Wyk, Brink & Lancashire
Lancaster I think you mean :smt048 :smt003
Fixed it, plus added a bit more cheers