LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

We already have SEVEN hookers on the books: Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Taufete'e, Horton, Cowan-Dickie and Vanes.

Do we really need more cover?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:00 pm We already have SEVEN hookers on the books: Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Taufete'e, Horton, Cowan-Dickie and Vanes.

For what it is worth I believe he is better than both Dolly and Clare
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:00 pm We already have SEVEN hookers on the books: Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Taufete'e, Horton, Cowan-Dickie and Vanes.

A 23 needs 2 hookers in there

Dolly is still out injured
Taufete'e appears to be out injured.
Montoya has barely had a week off in 18 months, when he had he's been injured, so we need him to have a break now

So that gives us the following

Clare - Fit, played nearly 80 min every match for us this season we can't just keep doing that and not expect to injure him too.

Horton - Good player yet to make a prem debut, but he's only on a short term deal to cover Dolly's injury.

Cowan-Dickie - was only a depth signing last year, not sure he'll appear much more for us.

Vanes - A dev squad player who possibly may also be injured as you'd think he'd have been in the Prem cup squad the other day otherwise, either way he's not a prem starter just yet...

So does he have a role to play. Yes in fact I think he'll be on the bench vs London Irish this weekend.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:02 pm

For what it is worth I believe he is better than both Dolly and Clare
Agreed would be brilliant if we could sign him long term
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:41 pm

A 23 needs 2 hookers in there

Dolly is still out injured
Taufete'e appears to be out injured.
Montoya has barely had a week off in 18 months, when he had he's been injured, so we need him to have a break now

So that gives us the following

Clare - Fit, played nearly 80 min every match for us this season we can't just keep doing that and not expect to injure him too.

Horton - Good player yet to make a prem debut, but he's only on a short term deal to cover Dolly's injury.

Cowan-Dickie - was only a depth signing last year, not sure he'll appear much more for us.

Vanes - A dev squad player who possibly may also be injured as you'd think he'd have been in the Prem cup squad the other day otherwise, either way he's not a prem starter just yet...

So does he have a role to play. Yes in fact I think he'll be on the bench vs London Irish this weekend.
Excellent summary Steve. Only proviso I would add is Montoya has rarely played more than 60 and he just loves it. Ideally Oghre on the bench v Irish to give Julian some time but wouldn’t surprise me to see Montoya on the bench.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Happy with Oghre, like what I’ve seen of him around the park. Basics need sharpening, but he’ll get that with SB and team. Clare’s contract coming to an end at the end of the season? Cowan-Dickie you’d expect to see move on, Horton too in the New Year.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Western Sydney two blues announce that Nadolo joining them as his nominated Shute Shield club
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

@TigerFeetSteve, I agree with your assessment of the other hookers. Oghre vs. Clare (who's underrated, IMO) is a good competition for back-up to Montoya.

But why use up cap on the likes of Horton and Cowan-Dickie if they're so far down the depth chart?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:54 am @TigerFeetSteve, I agree with your assessment of the other hookers. Oghre vs. Clare (who's underrated, IMO) is a good competition for back-up to Montoya.

But why use up cap on the likes of Horton and Cowan-Dickie if they're so far down the depth chart?
I’m guessing that while the PRC was running you needed 6 hookers, 3 for each squad. I think that is now over the numbers can drop but would still be sensible to have 5 in such a physical position given Vanes time with Nottingham and Dolly still injured.

Looking at our hooker stocks at the moment you have Montoya- just coming back from international duty, Oghre - just joined the club, Horton - returning to Australia, Claire, Dolly and Taufetee- both injured, Vanes and TCD not premiership quality yet.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Hooker and front row positions are not easy to bring new people in for replacements. Backs have the ability for play centre, wing, fullback and the skills are more easily transferable.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:54 am @TigerFeetSteve, I agree with your assessment of the other hookers. Oghre vs. Clare (who's underrated, IMO) is a good competition for back-up to Montoya.

I don't think Horton is that far down the depth chart tbh we signed him as injury dispensation for Dolly knowing we had midweek games in the PRC to cover.

As it is all of our hookers got used in the start of the season so we needed them all. The only one not to get too much game time is Taufete'e who is injured now.

Personally once Dolly & Taufete'e are back fit. Horton leaves back to Super Rugby. That leaves us

Montoya
Dolly
Oghre
Taufete'e
Cowan-Dickie
Vanes

I think 4 senior hookers & 1 Dev squad hooker (especially given 2 are in and around international squads) is about right...

I think we probably only retained Cowan-Dickie as he was cheap and we hadn't sorted cover for Dolly at the time. As it stands I can imagine we may end up seeing if he'd be willing to leave early so we can extend Oghre...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:26 am

I don't think Horton is that far down the depth chart tbh we signed him as injury dispensation for Dolly knowing we had midweek games in the PRC to cover.

As it is all of our hookers got used in the start of the season so we needed them all. The only one not to get too much game time is Taufete'e who is injured now.

Personally once Dolly & Taufete'e are back fit. Horton leaves back to Super Rugby. That leaves us

Montoya
Dolly
Oghre
Taufete'e
Cowan-Dickie
Vanes

I think 4 senior hookers & 1 Dev squad hooker (especially given 2 are in and around international squads) is about right...

I think we probably only retained Cowan-Dickie as he was cheap and we hadn't sorted cover for Dolly at the time. As it stands I can imagine we may end up seeing if he'd be willing to leave early so we can extend Oghre...
You missed off Clare in that list TFS 👍🏻
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Also got to allow for the fact Oghre came available unexpectedly, same as Atkinson, maybe we liked them and just decided to move for them whilst we could, never planned into the squad balancing, so there may well be some re-jigging.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:18 am Also got to allow for the fact Oghre came available unexpectedly, same as Atkinson, maybe we liked them and just decided to move for them whilst we could, never planned into the squad balancing, so there may well be some re-jigging.
And the harsh reality is if a potentially better option becomes available, you've got to take the opportunity whilst it's there, however harsh it may seem to your current players.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I think it's pretty clear TCD will be leaving come the summer with this signing and Vanes coming through, he'll probably be on loan at Notts or somewhere else after Christmas with Julian's international commitments over, the use of Taufete'e is the odd think Clare would play the full 80 and he'd go unused unless he came on as back row emergency cover