LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:54 am Shilcock is primarily a 15 who covers 10. That said I think most of the Shilcock rumours were prior to Wasps players being available, so signing Atkinson may have been instead of Shilcock
Thought that too, then Bath tweeted he was leaving them today so 2+2=5? :smt002
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:11 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:54 am Shilcock is primarily a 15 who covers 10. That said I think most of the Shilcock rumours were prior to Wasps players being available, so signing Atkinson may have been instead of Shilcock
Thought that too, then Bath tweeted he was leaving them today so 2+2=5? :smt002
True I do think having thought on it that it may not be a bad shout... ok he may have to wait till thw 6N till he gets gametime, but with Watson playing the way he is I reckon he'll be back in the England set up so what does that leave us Atkinson or Burns at 15?

Also with rumors circulating of Burns and Watson leaving after this season going forwards that's two of our primary options at 15 gone.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Watson has started to look very good in the last few games. He is clearly still an international-level player. I'd love to see us keep him beyond this season.

Kini and Saumaki have only played 380 Premiership mins between them in the past two seasons. Both good players, but we wouldn't be losing many minutes if they left. Could that money help fund Watson staying on?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:55 pm Watson has started to look very good in the last few games. He is clearly still an international-level player. I'd love to see us keep him beyond this season.

Kini and Saumaki have only played 380 Premiership mins between them in the past two seasons. Both good players, but we wouldn't be losing many minutes if they left. Could that money help fund Watson staying on?
I guess much of it is down to balance. Watson looks likely to be another player away for all of the international breaks and I am not sure that our back line needs another absentee. Then again, pretyt much killed my own argument if we are bringing in OHC as his replacement as surely England cannot keep ignoring him.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The thing about rumours is some are right and some are wrong. I really hope that we do everything we can to keep Watson. Burns at 33 next season and Watson at 29 to me is a no-brainer as to which one we need to keep and Freddie has one or 2 more payday seasons to go and Watson has 3 or 4 assuming they stay fit. We have Atkinson who as yet has not been given a starting role at stand-off and Pollard to return to fitness to fight over the 10 shirt. A bigger question is what do we do regarding some of our older or 2nd string players - Gopperth, Ashton, Kini, Ladygaga, Saumaki? Wiggie seems to be settling in as a coach but JG has been a disappointment for me and I would let go, contract permitting. Could see a case for keeping Ashton as long as his speed is not waning but if we are signing either Loader or OHC he has to be let go. Kini, I am not sure about and can say the same for Ladyaga and Saumaki, They are all back-up players who should not really be needed in the prem 23 but will be needed in the prem cup.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Shillcock would be perfect option considering we have a International 10 and 15.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:09 pm Shillcock would be perfect option considering we have a International 10 and 15.
Very much so. Second choice 15 and third/fourth choice 10. He's got plenty of Prem experience as well which always helps.

I suspect with Bath having two good fullbacks under contract for next season and two flyhalfs currently (one definitely staying the other unsure) plus actively looking for a starting 10 they don't want to commit cap to him.

Odd he's left so soon unless de Glanville is fit again as Shillcock was a stand out against us. Unless of course Shillcock was something more substantial to move to for at least the rest of the season.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Has Atkinson played much rugby at 15? Him and Shilcock feel like quite similar players.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:29 am Has Atkinson played much rugby at 15? Him and Shilcock feel like quite similar players.
As me above the feeling is Shilcock is a 15 who can play 10. Atkinson is the other way round.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

A backline of Steward; Watson, Porter, Kelly, Hassel-Collins; Pollard, JvP seems almost perfectly balanced.

Backed up by: Shillcock; Potter, Cokanasinga, Scott, A. N. Other; Atkinson, Youngs.

Futures bright. But that might just be the sun in the dream world I'm currently living in.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:32 pm A backline of Steward; Watson, Porter, Kelly, Hassel-Collins; Pollard, JvP seems almost perfectly balanced.

Backed up by: Shillcock; Potter, Cokanasinga, Scott, A. N. Other; Atkinson, Youngs.

Futures bright. But that might just be the sun in the dream world I'm currently living in.
The upside of the first backline is that it is international quality. The downside is that it is international quality so would be taken away from us regularly! Who'd be a head coach?!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I've just read on Eurosport/Rugbrama that Gabriel Oghre is to join Bordeaux/Bègles as medical joker from January 1st!

Was he signed on a sort term basis? If so, maybe this is no surprise, but nonetheless Tigers will lose a very promising young hooker.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:00 pm I've just read on Eurosport/Rugbrama that Gabriel Oghre is to join Bordeaux/Bègles as medical joker from January 1st!

Was he signed on a sort term basis? If so, maybe this is no surprise, but nonetheless Tigers will lose a very promising young hooker.
Article on November 21st says short term deal.
Fair enough I would expect both Dolly and Taufetee to be back in the new year and we won’t be losing Montoya again, this season
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Montoya only just turned 28 hopefully fitness willing we keep him for another 5-7 years
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:13 pm Montoya only just turned 28 hopefully fitness willing we keep him for another 5-7 years
I would have thought that Oghre would have been a far better back-up for Montoya than Dolly, Clare & co.
Semper in excretia