LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by johnthegriff »

Illeoni could be an option at 8, he has played there before and looked good to me.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:47 pm Illeoni could be an option at 8, he has played there before and looked good to me.
Definitely looked good there in last season’s U20 6N!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With Jansen going it seems like it may be Hatherell coming in as his replacement.

Bonuses of that
1. Means that Hatherell isn't a direct replacement for Martin moving to the 2nd row, if that's the case it makes retaining Henderson a bit more likely.

2. Hatherell is EQP so a bonus

3. Ok a bit older than Jansen, but he is a step up IMO
TigerLT
Tiger Cub

Post by TigerLT »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:47 pm Illeoni could be an option at 8, he has played there before and looked good to me.
Different gravy to Wiese though. Don’t think he packs the punch, considering the size of him.

Saying that, Wiese would be hard to replace as Hanro is a similar weight but carries a lot differently
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerLT wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:43 pm
Different gravy to Wiese though. Don’t think he packs the punch, considering the size of him.

Saying that, Wiese would be hard to replace as Hanro is a similar weight but carries a lot differently
If we were to lose Wiese I would love to see us go after Lorenzo Cannone the Italian no.8, I have been pretty impressed with him so far this 6 nations.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Illione seemed to be behind Jansen in the picking order for a bench spot earlier in the season but Illione seems to have got the spot a couple of weeks ago and this week. This could explain the change. Was Jansen EQP too? He had brut force but maybe less skill than Illione.

It is good that he has moved on to a good club. A good example of why it is worth coming to Tigers as a player.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Offside wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:06 pm Illione seemed to be behind Jansen in the picking order for a bench spot earlier in the season but Illione seems to have got the spot a couple of weeks ago and this week. This could explain the change. Was Jansen EQP too? He had brut force but maybe less skill than Illione.

It is good that he has moved on to a good club. A good example of why it is worth coming to Tigers as a player.
Don't think he is EQP
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Have been really impressed by Jansen this season. He will do well in Ireland and with his Irish heritage could be a great move.
Makes the move for Hatherall very sensible, Cracknell at 8 has looked excellent so we have plenty of cover there.

Good luck to Jansen. Came from NZ to Leicester as a complete unknown, he’s going to better his career with more game time, hope he does well.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

After watching the last 3 games without the internationals, really hope we see these announcements soon.

Tom West - him alongside Montoya and Heyes has been rock solid and a cornerstone of the pack in recent weeks. Quality prop and hope he stays. Imagine Leatigaga and Van Wyk will make way.

Henderson - really showing what he can do with a run of games. Going to be difficult fitting all the locks under the cap. Gotta assume we maybe not seen Green again with injuries. Even then Snyman never lets anyone down.

OHC - guy is class and probably like-for-like replacement with Watson rumoured back to London Irish.

Two unpopular opinions….

Yes Brown has been great but with Shillcock coming in do we really need him. Would love for him to stay but is there really the room in the back three?

Reffell, if he really wants to play for Wales then will we see him move? He’s a great defensive player but lacks the all round game of MVS and in some ways Cracknell. I’d be happy with Cracknell and Illione as our openside options.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm After watching the last 3 games without the internationals, really hope we see these announcements soon.

Tom West - him alongside Montoya and Heyes has been rock solid and a cornerstone of the pack in recent weeks. Quality prop and hope he stays. Imagine Leatigaga and Van Wyk will make way.

Henderson - really showing what he can do with a run of games. Going to be difficult fitting all the locks under the cap. Gotta assume we maybe not seen Green again with injuries. Even then Snyman never lets anyone down.

OHC - guy is class and probably like-for-like replacement with Watson rumoured back to London Irish.

Two unpopular opinions….

Yes Brown has been great but with Shillcock coming in do we really need him. Would love for him to stay but is there really the room in the back three?

Reffell, if he really wants to play for Wales then will we see him move? He’s a great defensive player but lacks the all round game of MVS and in some ways Cracknell. I’d be happy with Cracknell and Illione as our openside options.
West 100% we could do with signing him. Definitely if either Leatigaga or Van Wyk is off we should be trying to keep him.

Henderson, massive if we can sign him. I do think that if Scotland have all their locks fit we may even keep him for the world cup which would be huge.

Do we need Brown, in a WC year when we'll be without Steward plus probably OHC, I'd say ideally yes. Question is can we afford him now he's increased his value with us...

Reffell, yes he's a point of difference. Cracknell is great, but Reffell is a point of difference in a big game.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’d argue that Reffell is our best player - key to linking defence and attack as all good 7s should but he does everything better than most.

Him & Ilione are real openside stars in the making for Tigers
BG01

Post by BG01 »

West and Henderson are quality and we should move heaven and earth to keep them. That might mean losing Van Wyk and Green, but that's probably the right call given their respective ages. I would like to keep Nephi and Snyman but with Whitcombe and Lewis Chessum there is a bit of quality still coming through.

Reffell is brilliant, and is offers us the most balanced backrow - I don't think Liebenberg/Wiese/Cracknell has enough variety for when you're playing Saracens/Toulouse/etc.

If we manage to keep those players then the only areas we feel a bit light are tighthead and possibly back three.

I would try to keep Brown till Christmas if possible. We shouldn't need him over the second half of next season but we may when Steward is away.
Never believe generalisations
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Green re-signed just last season. Has something come out in an interview, podcast, etc to suggest that he's out of contract as it seems to be the general view held?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

This is the latest from Wiki on the 2023 / 24 transfers with Tigers showing sean Jansen to Connaught but we are getting Josh Bassett, Kyle Hatherell, Jamie Shillcock, and Finn Theobald-Thomas ( now that is a task for the shirt printers! )

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... _transfers :smt001