LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by westwinds31 »

I really struggle with this forum sometimes. It’s a reduced cap, we’ve got several young players who demand, quite rightly, a higher pay deal, and we want to keep our top players like Montoya etc. So you can understand why we look at players who fit the mould, have potential to grow etc, rather than an Eztebeth or a Kolbe. It seems whoever we bring in, it won’t satisfy some people.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:43 pm I really struggle with this forum sometimes. It’s a reduced cap, we’ve got several young players who demand, quite rightly, a higher pay deal, and we want to keep our top players like Montoya etc. So you can understand why we look at players who fit the mould, have potential to grow etc, rather than an Eztebeth or a Kolbe. It seems whoever we bring in, it won’t satisfy some people.
Cap goes up next season
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:58 am
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:43 pm I really struggle with this forum sometimes. It’s a reduced cap, we’ve got several young players who demand, quite rightly, a higher pay deal, and we want to keep our top players like Montoya etc. So you can understand why we look at players who fit the mould, have potential to grow etc, rather than an Eztebeth or a Kolbe. It seems whoever we bring in, it won’t satisfy some people.
Cap goes up next season
Pretty sure it’s the 2024/25 season
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Cap goes up next season
And that’s if it goes up at all. Andrea widely quoted as saying the league’s financial state means it can’t afford for the cap to rise - and then there’s the very odd email this week from the club saying it needs to ‘lean’ into STHs in these difficult times…
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

To sign an Etzebeth or Kolbe type profile would be insanity, both from a playing and financial point of view.

When was the last time a Prem team made a signing like that and went on to win stuff? Honestly, I'd rather have Shillcock and Atkinson than Piutau and Finn Russell.

Rugby is a team game, it's about building a team.

Just ask Toulon fans what they think of the signing of Kolbe...
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We face a start to the season without our international players so we need depth. During the last World Cup few on this board extended any understanding or sympathy to Geordan Murphy as our team with 12 first teamers away struggled against less affected sides. For next season's event we appear to preparing with suitable recruitment, there has to be guess work as to just who will be away so I suspect the cap increase will mean a few extra players as well as salary rises to keep improving young players on our books. Budget balancing could be tricky!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Grimlish wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 am
Cap goes up next season
And that’s if it goes up at all. Andrea widely quoted as saying the league’s financial state means it can’t afford for the cap to rise - and then there’s the very odd email this week from the club saying it needs to ‘lean’ into STHs in these difficult times…
I'm fairly sure it's agreed and set in stone. And Tigers will spend up to it as there's a commercial necessity to remain competitive.

And I don't think the email was odd, it was honest.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I'm pretty sure that it's been pointed out by someone (Cockers?) that, when the cap goes up, you end up paying the same players more. It's by no means guaranteed that you get more/better players.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... ended.html

It was agreed to increase in 2024, but a lot can happen before then.

If clubs are spending 98% of revenue on wages with a £5m cap, when the cap goes up we might as well all go and find another sport to watch because it'll be the clubs with sugar daddies at the top and the rest will be bankrupt or woefully uncompetitive.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

loretta wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 am I'm pretty sure that it's been pointed out by someone (Cockers?) that, when the cap goes up, you end up paying the same players more. It's by no means guaranteed that you get more/better players.
A very good point. How much more expensive has our wage bill for our existing players become since JVP, Kelly, Steward, Chessum, Martin etc appeared on the England radar. Depending on their previous contracts, which may have been relatively small having just gained promotiion to the first team, you could be looking at a million pounds in cap used up just to retain out existing internationals.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 am
loretta wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 am I'm pretty sure that it's been pointed out by someone (Cockers?) that, when the cap goes up, you end up paying the same players more. It's by no means guaranteed that you get more/better players.
A very good point. How much more expensive has our wage bill for our existing players become since JVP, Kelly, Steward, Chessum, Martin etc appeared on the England radar. Depending on their previous contracts, which may have been relatively small having just gained promotiion to the first team, you could be looking at a million pounds in cap used up just to retain out existing internationals.
This is my point ^^ - and I suspect that some (I don't know who) who's contract will be coming up for renewal will also be looking for an increase, based on selection into international squads (Kelly maybe as an example ?). What we do have in place is a culture, built by Steve and Sir Kev, bought into across the club at all age grades (ish) that "Dickie Wiggle" is continuing...so it's more about the character of player that we bring in - players who aren't afraid of hard work, buy into the culture and give 100% on the field. Snyman is a good example of this. Whilst he hasn't necessarily pulled up trees or been able to cement a spot in the 23 every week, I'll put money on the fact that he's a key cog in the "possibles" that batter into the "probables" at Oval Park and get them ready for the weekend. Plus, if there's an injury, he can slot in and do a job, which he did when called upon last season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Equally when we announced Potter, Porter, Kelly, Cronin, Cracknell, Wiese, did we all stand back in awe at these world class additions….. haven’t turned out too bad so far have they, all regulars in the 23 if not the starting 15 in most cases.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Before our rather barren spell of recruitment a few years ago, I used to love looking at our list of incoming players and having a game of 'Who's The Next Geoff Parling?', where you'd try and pick the relatively unknown signing that we'd shape into an international player.

From what I've read, Kyle Hatherell could be that guy.
Tigermattters

Post by Tigermattters »

Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
🤔