Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:36 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:10 pm One position that's not been discussed, which I think should be looked at for us is if one of the scrum halves from Wasps or Worcester are available.

Simmons I think got injured in preseason after featuring heavily in training pics. He had just reappeared in training pics about a month ago, he's vanished from those pics again and I was surprised he wasn't even given a run off the bench in the PRC game. So I'm making an assumption he's injured.

Both our top two scrum halves are in the England squad, quite possibly going to be 9 & 21 not released to us either now or the 6N (or we can't bank on it)

That leaves our scrum half ranks bare...

Wigglesworth & Edwards, plus Simmons hopefully fit in the 6N.

So I'd definitely have a scrum half as an option. We have plenty of experience at scrum half so I'd go with Porter or Wolstenholme from Wasps or Simpson from Worcester. Opportunities to play but the likes of Wigglesworth & Youngs to learn from may make us a quite attractive place for a younger scrum half
Edwards looks a very good prospect, I'd much rather he played during the AIs alongside Wigglesworth as opposed to signing someone a couple of years older who will just stop him gaining experience.
True, but we're one injury away from a loanee playing from the championship. With Wigglesworth's age it would be a case of probably limiting his gametime to ensure Edwards, Simmons and A N other get gametime
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:13 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:10 pm One position that's not been discussed, which I think should be looked at for us is if one of the scrum halves from Wasps or Worcester are available.

Simmons I think got injured in preseason after featuring heavily in training pics. He had just reappeared in training pics about a month ago, he's vanished from those pics again and I was surprised he wasn't even given a run off the bench in the PRC game. So I'm making an assumption he's injured.

Both our top two scrum halves are in the England squad, quite possibly going to be 9 & 21 not released to us either now or the 6N (or we can't bank on it)

That leaves our scrum half ranks bare...

Wigglesworth & Edwards, plus Simmons hopefully fit in the 6N.

So I'd definitely have a scrum half as an option. We have plenty of experience at scrum half so I'd go with Porter or Wolstenholme from Wasps or Simpson from Worcester. Opportunities to play but the likes of Wigglesworth & Youngs to learn from may make us a quite attractive place for a younger scrum half
Edwards looks a very good prospect, I'd much rather he played during the AIs alongside Wigglesworth as opposed to signing someone a couple of years older who will just stop him gaining experience.
True, but we're one injury away from a loanee playing from the championship. With Wigglesworth's age it would be a case of probably limiting his gametime to ensure Edwards, Simmons and A N other get gametime
So rather than a loanee sitting on the bench in case of an injury we should try and squeeze another scrum half into the squad so that Wigglesworth doesn't play?

In not sure I agree with that logic. If Simmons has a long term injury then I'd explore the option but otherwise I'd just use a Notts or Loughborough University player as traveling reserve until Simmons is fit again.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:16 pm

So rather than a loanee sitting on the bench in case of an injury we should try and squeeze another scrum half into the squad so that Wigglesworth doesn't play?

In not sure I agree with that logic. If Simmons has a long term injury then I'd explore the option but otherwise I'd just use a Notts or Loughborough University player as traveling reserve until Simmons is fit again.
I'd rather get a short term deal for a Prem standard scrum half than have a Championship or N1 standard player on the bench. If it can mean we can get one for longer and further help player development that's great.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:52 pm

I'd rather get a short term deal for a Prem standard scrum half than have a Championship or N1 standard player on the bench. If it can mean we can get one for longer and further help player development that's great.
Someone like Joe Simpson would be ideal.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Will Porter just signed for Bristol to cover Randall's injury. That means it's between Simpson & Wolstenholme for me if we do want a scrum half
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:32 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Someone like Joe Simpson would be ideal.
I'd hope we don't need to sign anybody because Simmons is nearly fit. Joe Simpson would not be if interest as I don't think he fits how we play, ditto Dan Robson. We've got two fit scrum halfs, possibly three. Still don't want to use up spare cap in that area unless we are very much stuck.

Spare cap used on a short term scrum half is likely to impact our ability to get someone like Atkinson or Willis in an area where we could really use an extra bit of quality.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

really hope so see the young lad or Simmons start, Wiggy should be on the bench for me during the AIs
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:56 pm really hope so see the young lad or Simmons start, Wiggy should be on the bench for me during the AIs
In 2 potential 5 point win games you don’t start with someone who no or practically no premiership experience
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

Our scrum half at Notts, Liam Slatem is excellent and is a capped international. I hope Tigers don’t think they have the right to help themselves for him to just warm the bench when we need him. Happened too many times in the past!!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TheChild wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:04 pm Our scrum half at Notts, Liam Slatem is excellent and is a capped international. I hope Tigers don’t think they have the right to help themselves for him to just warm the bench when we need him. Happened too many times in the past!!
Do you mean like Notts having 5 or 6 Tigers players most of the season.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TheChild wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:04 pm Our scrum half at Notts, Liam Slatem is excellent and is a capped international. I hope Tigers don’t think they have the right to help themselves for him to just warm the bench when we need him. Happened too many times in the past!!
He’s played for Hong Kong which is about the same level as The Championship
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:08 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:56 pm really hope so see the young lad or Simmons start, Wiggy should be on the bench for me during the AIs
In 2 potential 5 point win games you don’t start with someone who no or practically no premiership experience
if they are good enough you do, otherwise how else will they get the experience? Wiggy slowing everything down to a snails pace won't help either, I think he was stayed on a year too long
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:37 pm
if they are good enough you do, otherwise how else will they get the experience? Wiggy slowing everything down to a snails pace won't help either, I think he was stayed on a year too long
I’m sorry but that re Wigglesworth is a misconception. You get experience coming off the bench.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:42 pm

I’m sorry but that re Wigglesworth is a misconception. You get experience coming off the bench.
tell that to Freddie Steward. If they are good enough play them, unless JVP or Youngs are around, Wiggy needs to concentrate on coaching so our attack actually looks like we have a plan other than box kick and chase
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:44 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:42 pm
tell that to Freddie Steward. If they are good enough play them, unless JVP or Youngs are around, Wiggy needs to concentrate on coaching so our attack actually looks like we have a plan other than box kick and chase
What has Freddie Steward got to do with it. Are you saying that because he was good enough at 20 everybody is.
I can imagine the comments on here if a youngster does start at Bath on what is likely to be a cold Friday night and they make mistakes that cost the game. You and others would be all over them like a rash