Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by RagingBull »

Would be a good upgrade on Hegarty
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:15 am TRP saying we have begun talks with Jamie Shillcock
Logical signing, he's looked handy at Wuss and his ability at 10 is both handy backup and means he's got the kicking game that Borthwick likes. Might put us in a position to let Hegarty leave earlier if that's what he would prefer as well.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If Hegerty doesn't play at all before he leaves, we will have all his "cap" to spend, so a bit if room for manoeuvre there.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 am If Hegerty doesn't play at all before he leaves, we will have all his "cap" to spend, so a bit if room for manoeuvre there.
The cynic in me is thinking that we might not see him play so we can bring in a Shilcock or a Lawrence type signing.

IMO Shilcock would be the perfect fit and would see plenty of game time! Good age profile, talent, hardworking and EQP.

I know nothing relatively speaking compared to coaches etc but I’d sign him up pronto!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Shillcock really would be a great addition to the 10s we already have. Already looking to next season I feel like we need the following.

Backup No.8 - if Jansen can’t cut it in the premiership then we really need a carrier who can fill in when Wiese is away. Liebenberg can’t be expected to play every minute.

Starting winger - assuming Watson and Ashton are going end of the season, Radwan or someone with real pace would be a game changer in our XV which can sometimes be lacking in speed.

Backup winger - don’t think Saumaki has the all round game for the premiership or fits our style of play. Hopefully Shelley can fill this spot, but want to see him in the premiership!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Would be very pleased with this. I've been impressed by Shillcock on a number of occasions and think this could be a great move for both club and player.

My one slight reservation is that arguably we're in greater need of a centre. We already have a few 10s and signing another 10/15 suggests we might be sticking with Gopperth at 12 for now.....that frightens me somewhat.

Hoping there is still some space in the cap to bring in another centre 🙏
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We are not short of centres just that we have 2 injured at present.
A2O
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:59 pm We are not short of centres just that we have 2 injured at present.
We're short of quality centres with Kelly and Porter injured, I would argue.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Depends how long they are both out for. Kelly has not played since June but no idea of the timescale. Don’t know what Porter’s injury is but doubt we could afford to bring someone in.
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:50 pm Depends how long they are both out for. Kelly has not played since June but no idea of the timescale. Don’t know what Porter’s injury is but doubt we could afford to bring someone in.
We were talking about Kelly on the terrace yesterday and that he has started training but not been seen in any training pictures yet
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 am If Hegerty doesn't play at all before he leaves, we will have all his "cap" to spend, so a bit if room for manoeuvre there.
What's the situation with the Nandolo salary cap?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess we are paying him per month.
So say he was on 200K a season it might now work out as 90K till end of december meaning we get 110K extra.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Does it then become a decision based on quality, eg we could spend the £110k balance on a centre now, so October to May, therefore £14k per month, or wait till January and spend on a player worth £22k per month?

Also, with Kelly being out so long so far, could we not have applied for a dispensation signing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:37 pm Does it then become a decision based on quality, eg we could spend the £110k balance on a centre now, so October to May, therefore £14k per month, or wait till January and spend on a player worth £22k per month?

Also, with Kelly being out so long so far, could we not have applied for a dispensation signing.
I think they have to be out for 3 months from when the season starts.
So Kelly would have to be out till December I THINK
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:26 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:59 pm We are not short of centres just that we have 2 injured at present.
We're short of quality centres with Kelly and Porter injured, I would argue.
We're short of defensive leaders in the midfield would be my pedantic take. Last season we had Moroni, Kelly and Scott who are all very good defensive organisers. Porter is a good individual defender but given he was playing alongside those three even Porter won't have much experience running the defensive line at Prem level.

Good availability (whilst S&C, rotation, planning, etc is a pig component there luck is inevitably a part of it too) last season meant we had those defensive organisers available. With Moroni gone, Kelly injured and Scott not looking at his best (perhaps a bit rushed in due to other injuries?) the organisation of the defense in the back line has been really poor.

Hence I really like the idea of targeting Francois Venter as that's where he thrives from both 12 and 13.

With the attack I think we are simply using last seasons tactics without the same personnel. The game plan needs adapting. We are picking playmakers at 10 and 12 then using tactics that require carriers in midfield. The kicking game without Ford is nowhere near as accurate. With the personnel currently available in the backs, i.e. playmakers and pace out wide but less hard carriers in midfield, we probably need to be playing a wider game. That's a big departure to make whilst under pressure though.