LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TTRITH »

Wolstenholme was always a temporary signing though.

I don't see us signing another scrum half. Ben won't feature for England post World Cup, and to be honest, who'd want to come in knowing they'd get very limited game time.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:23 am Wolstenholme was always a temporary signing though.

I don't see us signing another scrum half. Ben won't feature for England post World Cup, and to be honest, who'd want to come in knowing they'd get very limited game time.
This depends IMO, if we think Simmons can cover scrum half, I doubt we'll sign another, but I just can't see us putting all our eggs in the Whiteley & Edwards basket. We'd be one injury away from struggling for bench cover.

Now by now I fully expect the club have had enough discussions with Borthwick assesing if Youngs is going to be called up and where in the pecking order he is.

It may be at the moment he's 4th choice so likely to stay with Tigers barring injury, in which case essentially we'd need 2 injuries to leave us short, in which case we may wait for one to see about a short term signing.

I however think it most likely we'll sign someone, though it'll either be a young lad we'll plan to be putting on loan quite a bit or a experienced backup not expecting much gametime.

Now there's always the chance given Youngs hasn't signed a contract since July 2020 that he's out of contract and rather than the renewal we're all expecting, he could be looking elsewhere to wind down before retiring. In which case we may instead be looking for a number 9 who won't be in the international picture but is likely to challenge the 23 regularly.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:23 am Wolstenholme was always a temporary signing though.

Only question is whether you need an extra body during the WC period - 2 scrum halves (or 3 if you do still count Simmons) is risky if one gets a knock for example. Then you’d have to rush back one of Youngs or JVP from the WC. Big thing depends on wing cover we have. If Simmons is needed as a wing, we could do with an extra 9 for the WC period. If not, we might just be ok with the 2/3 mentioned above. Just.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would personally be very surprised if Lenny didn’t go to the World Cup. I think the will stick with the JVP / Mitchell combination, and having 120 caps worth of experience in the squad and ready to go should there be any injuries to those 2 would be invaluable
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:51 am

Only question is whether you need an extra body during the WC period - 2 scrum halves (or 3 if you do still count Simmons) is risky if one gets a knock for example.
I suspect we'll see another short term signing closer to the time and depending on who is available on the market (and depending on who SB takes to the RWC).

With JVP, YBY, Whiteley and Edwards on the books there's no point making a permanent signing.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Short term Aus or NZ 9 maybe...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:16 am Short term Aus or NZ 9 maybe...
Indeed. A similar sort of signing to Tom Horton perhaps. On the fringes of Super rugby selection, available pre-Super Rugby season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

This is where you’d hope McKellar with his knowledge of super rugby players, and maybe more importantly some promising players perhaps in that tier just below super rugby can work for us. Worked with Porter and Potter, not so much with Shelley, but probably a low cost punt.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:53 am I would personally be very surprised if Lenny didn’t go to the World Cup. I think the will stick with the JVP / Mitchell combination, and having 120 caps worth of experience in the squad and ready to go should there be any injuries to those 2 would be invaluable
I think that will depend on Quirke's fitness. If Quirke can get fit and play the warmups then I think he'll force his way into the 23 alongside JvP. Then it's a tactical question of whether they want Mitchell's pace as a means of changing the attack or Lenny's experience.

Against Gloucester particularly YBY was absolutely fantastic but even as someone who's adored watching him play for many years I find it hard to deny his international form fell off a cliff for a sustained period.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

On 9s to cover the RWC we could do worse than look at nabbing Will Chudley from Cov.

In more of the Brown or Ashton Moneyball type gamble Francois Hougaard is currently unattached. He could cover wing once the other 9s return.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:41 pm On 9s to cover the RWC we could do worse than look at nabbing Will Chudley from Cov.

In more of the Brown or Ashton Moneyball type gamble Francois Hougaard is currently unattached. He could cover wing once the other 9s return.
Isn't he going to Saracens next season?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:40 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:53 am I would personally be very surprised if Lenny didn’t go to the World Cup. I think the will stick with the JVP / Mitchell combination, and having 120 caps worth of experience in the squad and ready to go should there be any injuries to those 2 would be invaluable
I think that will depend on Quirke's fitness. If Quirke can get fit and play the warmups then I think he'll force his way into the 23 alongside JvP. Then it's a tactical question of whether they want Mitchell's pace as a means of changing the attack or Lenny's experience.

Against Gloucester particularly YBY was absolutely fantastic but even as someone who's adored watching him play for many years I find it hard to deny his international form fell off a cliff for a sustained period.
It will be interesting Quirke is struggling to get past Warr in the Sale team at present
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:48 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:41 pm On 9s to cover the RWC we could do worse than look at nabbing Will Chudley from Cov.

Isn't he going to Saracens next season?
He was with them short term this season just after Wasps folded. AFAIK he isn't there next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 pm

It will be interesting Quirke is struggling to get past Cliffe in the Sale team at present
Gus Warr is IMO not only capable of keeping Quirke out the England team, he's also got a shot at it himself...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 pm

It will be interesting Quirke is struggling to get past Cliffe in the Sale team at present
Gus Warr is IMO not only capable of keeping Quirke out the England team, he's also got a shot at it himself...
My apologies of course it’s Warr. No idea where I got Cliffe from. Bit early for Warr IMO