LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

If Cronin broke his arm he might not be eligible to play again until April. Being in training and being available to play are not necessarily the same thing.

Brown was out of work and desperate for a contract, I suspect he was paid very little as you suggest. He wanted to prove himself as much as anything else.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:10 pm This season has been a bit all over the place with the three mid season leavers.

For next season it'll probably roll out to be;

Atkinson for Burns
Shillcock for Hegarty
Hassell-Collins for Nadolo

We might well have made some savings across the three deals there. Might be enough to keep Brown. There could be some good back three deals to be had with the Regions suffering and some of the Wasps and Wuss guys still struggling to find new jobs. Harri Doel from Wuss is playing semi pro rugby for instance. Could be a steal for a club in the summer.
Doel would be a great signing :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Aside from Hassel-Collins, are there any rumours out there regarding signings or assistant coaches? I fully appreciate there are 6 months between now and the new season start, but seems eerily quiet.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am Aside from Hassel-Collins, are there any rumours out there regarding signings or assistant coaches? I fully appreciate there are 6 months between now and the new season start, but seems eerily quiet.
I heard it from a friend of friend of a friend's auties budgie that juan martin hernandez was in an estate agents in Syston :smt019
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:20 am
TTRITH wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am :smt023
Aside from Hassel-Collins, are there any rumours out there regarding signings or assistant coaches? I fully appreciate there are 6 months between now and the new season start, but seems eerily quiet.
I heard it from a friend of friend of a friend's auties budgie that juan martin hernandez was in an estate agents in Syston :smt019
I’d heard Marika Vunibaka has also finally had his paperwork through :smt002 :smt023
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am Aside from Hassel-Collins, are there any rumours out there regarding signings or assistant coaches? I fully appreciate there are 6 months between now and the new season start, but seems eerily quiet.
I haven't yet but there aren't usually that many rumours about assistant coaches or strength and conditioning coaches as they are less sexy.

Just a personal feeling but I'm not going to worry about that until end of April/early May time.

Working on the basis of Harrison, Everard, Deacon & Smith being retained we're looking for one additional backs focused coach and possibly a general lieutenant to McKellar. As well as an S&C head which is generally a backroom appointment other than Walters!

I read a history of the Pumas recently that had a good section on Loffreda at Leicester. He said the main mistake he felt he made was not having an right hand man with him from Argentina to be a sounding board, additional set of eyes and ears, someone to speak to in Spanish to help him articulate his thoughts. Learning from that (although not the last part!) I think it's important McKellar has at least one person who he has worked with before to act as that support and sounding board. Equally I wouldn't him to clear out everyone and just be given a carte blanche either.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I don't think there's many rumours because we probably aren't expecting many more notable players. Some back three and tighthead cover. Ideally West is staying. Maybe another centre if we think Porter or Kelly will go to the world cup.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Sean Jansen has signed for Connacht

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/031 ... eir-ranks/
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm Sean Jansen has signed for Connacht

Wow! Wasn't expecting that. While he's been a squad player with us he's been a decent one. That said, I don't recall if any of the new players coming in over the summer can play 8 so maybe he saw his time as being up?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Wow! Wasn't expecting that. While he's been a squad player with us he's been a decent one. That said, I don't recall if any of the new players coming in over the summer can play 8 so maybe he saw his time as being up?
I don't think there would be a new 8 but a rejig of current personnel in the pecking order of each position like this;

2022/23

6. Leibenburg, Martin
7. Reffell, Cracknell
8. Weise, Jansen

2023/24
6. Leibenburg, Hatherell
7. Reffell, Illione
8. Weise, Cracknell
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I wonder when you have more versatile players who can cover 8 (Liebenberg, Cracknell) then a player like Jansen becomes a bit of a luxury.

Connacht majoring on his Irish heritage too.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Maybe the new HC making room in the cap?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

No news from the club on it.

But I had my feelings since Hatherall was announced tbh
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:04 pm No news from the club on it.

But I had my feelings since Hatherall was announced tbh
This is my thoughts on it. He's been good for the club but he deserves a chance to get more regular game time. For me going into a World cup year this is a big statement of faith in Ilione!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

It seems unlikely, but I'd been hoping that Jack Willis would come to Tigers after his adventure with Toulouse.
Semper in excretia