LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Scott1 »

Tigermattters wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am Gregor Townsend will be a real statement appointment when confirmed as Head Coach after the Six Nations.
Oh please be true! Straight after would be a huge lift after this seasons low
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be very surprised if Townsend joined us.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:02 am Would be very surprised if Townsend joined us.
I can see it tbf,The Scotsman has him definitely leaving Scotland after the RWC. And that was before our interest ,he was linked with a French club though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

No chance it’s Gregor Townsend next
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

IF (and I'm not sure about it all atm) we announce Townsend after the 6N. I'm assuming we announce him as the next permanent HC or DOR, but he stays in the Scotland job till then.

1. Where does that leave Wigglesworth? Hopefully he has his next step sorted if that's under Townsend or Borthwick or wherever we don't want him to almost give up on the remainder of the season.

2. How much influence will Townsend have on preseason and the early part of the season if he's still in the Scotland. If he is able to have some key influence in it then we could hit the ground running, if not a ⅓ of the season could be a holding pattern.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Martin looked good at lock I thought.

Def need some investment at tighthead, wing and centre
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:31 am Martin looked good at lock I thought.

Was hoping we might be able to bring someone in mid-season whilst the internationals are away. Tight head priority for me.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:31 am Martin looked good at lock I thought.

I agree about TH,Cole won’t last forever. But Heyes and Hurd are definitely good enough for second and third choice players for me. Can Richardson be the guy who covers both sides then if Ladygaga leaves? I’m still of the opinion we should use 10.Atkinson 12. Pollard when we need to. Definitely could do with a player who could cover the back 3 though. What’s going on with Phil?
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:23 am IF (and I'm not sure about it all atm) we announce Townsend after the 6N. I'm assuming we announce him as the next permanent HC or DOR, but he stays in the Scotland job till then.

1. Where does that leave Wigglesworth? Hopefully he has his next step sorted if that's under Townsend or Borthwick or wherever we don't want him to almost give up on the remainder of the season.

2. How much influence will Townsend have on preseason and the early part of the season if he's still in the Scotland. If he is able to have some key influence in it then we could hit the ground running, if not a ⅓ of the season could be a holding pattern.
1) That would be extremely detrimental to his future prospects so I think a low chance. Personally I'd be looking to bring someone else in now above him in any case. This is not working and we need to address the slide before it becomes too big.

2) Is a great question, definitely the biggest one against Townsend as an option. Learning from Loffreda I'd say two things: Needs to spend at least two fortnights (as in two spells of a fortnight) in Leicester getting the lay of the land and planning his ideas. Needs at least one but not more than 2 lieutenants in the coaching team that join at the beginning of pre-season so that we don't fall into the issue you identify.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Agreed, just checked his stats and he’s an inch taller than Wells but 4lbs lighter. Now he’s made the transition to senior rugby (and IMO is currently our best 6) he can put on a bit more weight to lock out the scrum.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:56 am
Agreed, just checked his stats and he’s an inch taller than Wells but 4lbs lighter. Now he’s made the transition to senior rugby (and IMO is currently our best 6) he can put on a bit more weight to lock out the scrum.
Agree with the thoughts regarding George Martin at lock, noted Calum Henderson was involved pre match but not named in the matchday 23, not sure of the status of Calum Green ? Appreciate it was bad day at the office for most yesterday but was disappointed with the contribution of Eli Snyman, for such a big unit think we should be getting more from him
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TheCat wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm
Agree with the thoughts regarding George Martin at lock, noted Calum Henderson was involved pre match but not named in the matchday 23, not sure of the status of Calum Green ? Appreciate it was bad day at the office for most yesterday but was disappointed with the contribution of Eli Snyman, for such a big unit think we should be getting more from him
*Cameron
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me Snyman has not been a great signing and has done nothing to earn another contract
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm For me Snyman has not been a great signing and has done nothing to earn another contract
Especially with the young locks coming through. I saw an article somewhere about Rob Carmichael being 6’ 10”, him and Lewis Chessum in at lock and we wouldn’t need lifters!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

He wasn't having a brilliant game but he took a knock about 5-10min before he came off and was clearly struggling.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.