LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There are a lot of incomings ahead of next season. Does the cap go up? Or are we likely to haemorrhage some players before then?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We have already lost
Hegarty
Nadolo
Wigglesworth

Tbf
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I suspect Bassett will be replacing Ashton who I fully expect to retire at the end of the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:20 pm I suspect Bassett will be replacing Ashton who I fully expect to retire at the end of the season.
Leicester Tigers can confirm the signing of Josh Bassett ahead of the 2023/24 season.

The 30-year-old will join Tigers from Harlequins, who he joined midway through the current campaign from Wasps.

Bassett played his junior rugby for Ampthill before moving to Bedford Blues ahead of the 2011/12 campaign.

The outside-back was selected for England Under-20s in 2012.

In 2013, he joined Wasps and made more than a century of appearances for the club before joining Harlequins in 2022.

Speaking about the addition of Bassett, Leicester Tigers Head Coach Richard Wigglesworth said: “We are really looking forward to welcoming Josh to Leicester Tigers next season.”

“He is a prolific try-scorer, hard-working player who offers plenty in defence out wide. He adds great competition to our outside-backs.

“Josh is a highly respected player and experienced in the game, which will be of great value to our young group.”

Discussing the move to Leicester Tigers, Bassett said: “The club has done such a good job of building strong foundations in recent seasons and I am excited about being a part of the next steps, continuing to develop on that.”

“I want to continue developing, individually, and reach my potential. I see Leicester Tigers as the place to do that.

“Mattioli Woods Welford Road is a special place. You know it is going to be loud, the atmosphere is going to be electric and so the opportunity to be on the right side of that was a hard one to turn down.

“There are some amazing players at the club, who have done so well in recent years and are going to continue pushing on. Knowing I will be a part of that gives me energy and makes me excited.”
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:19 pm We have already lost
Hegarty
Nadolo
Wigglesworth

Tbf
Hegarty -> Shillcock
Nadolo -> OHC?
Wigglesworth -> Whiteley
Ashton -> Bassett
Burns -> Atkinson
Snyman -> Hatherell
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 pm
Hegarty
Nadolo
Wigglesworth

Tbf

Hegarty -> Shillcock
Nadolo -> OHC?
Wigglesworth -> Whiteley
Ashton -> Bassett
Burns -> Atkinson
Snyman -> Hatherell
I like these replacements a lot and understand the signings but are we really getting a huge improvement on the squad this year with these players, much like the replacements last year: Cronin for Genge, Pollard for Ford,

Are these really improvements?

All of our signings have been made from clubs that went under this year, I’m not judging their quality and the cheap contracts we probably got them on but it just doesn’t fill me with hope

Sorry for sounding extremely negative of course excited to see how they get on
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

No OHC :smt022
A2O
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

If OHC has been secured, doesn't look like we're announcing him tonight.

BBC Sport Leicester have tweeted their round up of the signings.

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 2139266048
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:29 pm
TTRITH wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 pm
Hegarty
Nadolo
Wigglesworth

Tbf

Hegarty -> Shillcock
Nadolo -> OHC?
Wigglesworth -> Whiteley
Ashton -> Bassett
Burns -> Atkinson
Snyman -> Hatherell
I like these replacements a lot and understand the signings but are we really getting a huge improvement on the squad this year with these players, much like the replacements last year: Cronin for Genge, Pollard for Ford,

Are these really improvements?

All of our signings have been made from clubs that went under this year, I’m not judging their quality and the cheap contracts we probably got them on but it just doesn’t fill me with hope

Sorry for sounding extremely negative of course excited to see how they get on
In a World Cup year, these are good signings.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Happy about Shillcock he is quality.3 bargain basement Ex Worcester players plus the veteran Basset. Not impressed and what has happened to OHC I thought he was a banker? Must say I am worried about the state of our recruitment
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 pm Happy about Shillcock he is quality.3 bargain basement Ex Worcester players plus the veteran Basset. Not impressed and what has happened to OHC I thought he was a banker? Must say I am worried about the state of our recruitment
Why are you worried? It seems very sensible to me, very good value in tough times. Plus think about the bigger contracts we’ve had to give to all our new England players. You can’t give them the contracts they deserve but also recruit world class players, not with the current cap.

Only concern I have is OHC but we will have to see about that.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Do people not think we can spread out signings?

Looking at the current signings I think all are improvements imo
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 pm Happy about Shillcock he is quality.3 bargain basement Ex Worcester players plus the veteran Basset. Not impressed and what has happened to OHC I thought he was a banker? Must say I am worried about the state of our recruitment
Totally agree I feel like we’re not improving on our losses, I understand the need for depth going into a World Cup year but there doesn't seem to be the quality one might have hoped for, and not that it’s relevant but signing only players from teams that have gone into administration lacks imagination. Where are the project players we’ve had in recent years?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:53 pm Do people not think we can spread out signings?

Looking at the current signings I think all are improvements imo

Don’t care how they do it. I guess this way it makes it easier for those coming in with their current clubs etc.

As I said, these look very good pick ups. Shillcock covers Hegarty but is EQP. Hatherall is highly rated- should do well with us and suit our style. The young hooker is also an age grade England player, lots of potential. Bassett is a proven premiership try scorer, excellent signing to replace Ashton. All seems spot on really- they are not replacing first XV players. We need to remember that.

A game breaker such as OHC would be good but no reason why he still isn’t coming.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:55 pm
Totally agree I feel like we’re not improving on our losses, I understand the need for depth going into a World Cup year but there doesn't seem to be the quality one might have hoped for, and not that it’s relevant but signing only players from teams that have gone into administration lacks imagination. Where are the project players we’ve had in recent years?
Don’t see why some of these are not project players. Worth noting the response of those at previous clubs- very positive about them. Even Rugby Inside Line says they are very good and he’s a Saints fan!