longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:40 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:37 pm

1 - we very publically with the drop in salaries got all players to immediately drop salaries. The salary cap came into force then, but had exemptions for any contract signed previously. This is why the clubs who kept salaries high have only reached an issue with the cap this year when that exemption on earlier signed contracts comes into force.

2 - 5 leavers, isn't strictly correct, the following have left: Ford, Genge, Moroni, Youngs, Van Staden, Taute, Socino, Aspland-Robinson, Law, Olowofela & Rowntree.
Plus the following left mid season: K Van Wyk, Brink & Lancashire
Lancaster I think you mean :smt048 :smt003
Fixed it, plus added a bit more cheers
:smt023 Also Ollie Robinson as well, albeit that he was a loanee
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Interview with Lenny in the Telegraph. Very good and worth talking about elsewhere on the forum. Some comments at the end re Steward;

Borthwick also addressed speculation regarding the future of Freddie Steward, the England full-back. Steward is out of contract next year and it is thought that negotiations over an extension between the club and the 21-year-old’s representatives had reached an impasse earlier this summer.

“I think he would be one that would want to stay and be part of a squad that is building with a young core of players,” Borthwick said.

“He’s an important part of this squad and, as ever, there is a balance,” added Borthwick. “You know the situation with the salary cap in terms of having a young group of players coming through together.

“They’re very good friends. They enjoy training with each other and enjoy playing rugby with each other. The young group of players we’ve got here is a very tight group.”
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... zrIQA&s=19

Borthwick's quotes on Steward seem pretty confident
I think he’ll be one that wants to stay and be part of a squad that’s building with a young core of players. He’s an important part of this squad. There’s always a balance especially with the salary cap.”
For Borthwick to be publically saying that, I think he probably has some extra behind the scenes info, it's not like he's normally free flowing with public comments unless he has something to back it up with, so 100% IMO we're still favourites for him to be with us next season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:44 pm https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... zrIQA&s=19

Borthwick's quotes on Steward seem pretty confident
I think he’ll be one that wants to stay and be part of a squad that’s building with a young core of players. He’s an important part of this squad. There’s always a balance especially with the salary cap.”
For Borthwick to be publically saying that, I think he probably has some extra behind the scenes info, it's not like he's normally free flowing with public comments unless he has something to back it up with, so 100% IMO we're still favourites for him to be with us next season.
I dunno, my take on that is Steward has (or expects will have) higher offers from elsewhere but Borthwick is hopeful he will sign an extension at Leicester rather than somewhere else to stay with his friends. Suggesting Tigers won’t be matching the offers from elsewhere.

Before Ford signed at Sale Borthwick came out and said how great a player he is and how important he is to Leicester

I know reading a lot into a small quote but hey that’s what this forum is for!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Great article on use of stats and analysis in rugby.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/playe ... nalyst-20/

Some interesting stats on kick retention for Pollard, since the world cup he has the joint highest kick retention stats of Tier 1 Internationals. That suggests the likes of Potter, Steward and gang will have some good kick chases coming up!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I get the feeling that we are never going to be the highest offer on the table. I think that we will make a fair and reasonable offer but I also think that there are going to be clubs that will break the bank to get his signature. I think that we have to be realistic on that and, so long as we remain the best place for him to develop and remain in contention for the big competitions then we stand a good chance of keeping him

Personally, if I were a player and there was a decent offer on the table from a stable club, I would get pen to paper. I think the last few weeks have been a wake up call and I really do think that the days of £500000.00 contracts in this league are soon to be over. Without some form of growth in revenue, I think that clubs are going to have to start cutting their cloth according to their income and perhaps that could be a way forward with salaries only allowed to be a percentage of total income with an overall cap above that. I think that value is going to be play a big part of a player's worth and the benefit of having international players with the amount of absence will be looked at by a number of clubs, especially in a world cup year.

That said, looking at reports, that 10 week period for rest that our players are currently subject to need not be concurrent as Genge is available for Bristol on Friday on that basis.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Steward wont be able to go to another Premieship Club as the Marquee player….therefore his salary is going to have to be included in the cap and that could be a stumbling block for some clubs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:39 am Steward wont be able to go to another Premieship Club as the Marquee player….therefore his salary is going to have to be included in the cap and that could be a stumbling block for some clubs.
Furthermore AFAIK as a Tigers acadamy graduate, Tigers have 50k taken from the cap, meaning other teams would have to pay 50k more just to match us capwise. Unless I am mistaken of course!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:13 am So of our real big young talent that's come through our juniors, there's probably 5/6 that are out of contract this year that we haven't heard about

Cam Henderson
George Martin
Jack Van Poortvliet
Freddie Steward
Dan Kelly
Tommy Reffell (quite possibly already on a rolling contract)

Of those IMO we want to keep them all. The fact we let White go suggests we're backing JVP so think we'll work out his package.

Kelly is likely to stay too, especially on the back of an injury I doubt other clubs will see his value as much as we do.

Steward, yeah he'll be chased by many, but think he's likely to stay on.

Martin, well I think he'll stay, but he at the moment isn't 1st choice in any position which may depending on the season he has mean he wants to look elsewhere. However with so much international rugby coming up and just his progression means he'll stay.

Henderson, IMO if he has a full season he'll be valued and stay, if he has a period on the sidelines he may be let go. A year ago he was ahead in the pecking order of Chessum. If he has a good year and plays lot well retain him.

Where do we get the money to afford this. Well cap is increasing and big money departures will I think cover it without too much hassle, especially given the credits we can use.
Admire your optimism here but it’s all guesswork. When is the cap increasing?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With multiple clubs now publically struggling financially, you do wonder if that's going to adjust player values and mean retention of players may become more likely.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

In terms of replacing Genge I think we have done well with Cronin. The more I see the happier I am.

Is he the same carrying threat as Genge... no but few are. What he's proved is he EARNT his Ireland caps and he truly is an International class player, maybe not world class like Genge but he does the main sections of the game right.

He has the added advantage over Genge of full season availability, plus will be on less money than Genge. No he doesn't replace his carrying or leadership, but he is still good in the loose and nice over the ball for turnovers.

All in all I think we're showing that our recruitment has more hits than misses and we've managed to have one of the best Looseheads in the world leave and it's not significantly weakened us which is a statement.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Am I right in thinking Watson only signed a one year deal?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:11 am Am I right in thinking Watson only signed a one year deal?
You are right but he seems to have gone AWOL since his 5 minutes in the pre season game. At least with Pollard and Kelly they have been seen around.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:59 pm In terms of replacing Genge I think we have done well with Cronin. The more I see the happier I am.

Is he the same carrying threat as Genge... no but few are. What he's proved is he EARNT his Ireland caps and he truly is an International class player, maybe not world class like Genge but he does the main sections of the game right.

He has the added advantage over Genge of full season availability, plus will be on less money than Genge. No he doesn't replace his carrying or leadership, but he is still good in the loose and nice over the ball for turnovers.

All in all I think we're showing that our recruitment has more hits than misses and we've managed to have one of the best Looseheads in the world leave and it's not significantly weakened us which is a statement.
Totally agree TFS. At the moment the only one with slight question marks for me is Watson. I know we haven’t seen Pollard yet but he is world class imo. All the others, Cronin, Cracknell, Gopperth, Cocanasinga have already shown what good signings they are.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

From what I think players out of contract next season are
Clare, Cowan-dickie, Taufete'e
Leatigaga, Richardson, Cole (50/50), Van Wyk,
Snyman, Henderson,
Reffell
Simmons, Wigglesworth
Burns
Watson, Saumaki,

Nadolo and Hegarty going.

I think we will see
Cowan-Dickie
Leatigaga
Snyman
Wigglesworth
Watson
Nadolo
Hegarty
Off and suspect they would not be replaced outside of Watson
Vanes for TCD
Lewis Chessum for Snyman
Edwards for Wigglesworth
Walsh for Hegarty

Honestly that would in theory save a bunch of cap.