LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bge3095

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Bge3095 »

Was speaking to Dan Richardson a few weeks ago and he mentioned he was swapping sides of the scrum 👍
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Bge3095 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:04 pm Was speaking to Dan Richardson a few weeks ago and he mentioned he was swapping sides of the scrum 👍
Makes sense. I think at his age an maybe it's worth a try as he'd hoping to be cutting it and a fixture in the matchdays squad at LH by now.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can we keep the rest of our youngsters?

Post by Ian Cant »

I’m hoping we can somehow keep Freddie Steward, George Martin, JVP and Dan Kelly?
It is a testament to the coaches at Tigers that we now have these problems: trying to keep players with the salary cap in place.
However, agents too must now be more realistic in what they demand otherwise there will be more than Worcester and Wasps having serious financial problems!
I don’t think either club won’t continue in the Premiership but they might have to think carefully about how much they pay players!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Can we keep the rest of our youngsters?

Post by anz3001 »

If we can’t, it’ll be our own choice. The cap is the same for every club and we have credits. If they go it’ll be down to us/mutual
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Whilst those players contracts will be going up you would imagine that the flip side is the likes of
Nadolo and Hegarty are going.
Cole and Youngs are at the stage where the contracts start going downwards.
Question Marks prob over the likes of Leatigaga, Van Wyk, Wigglesworth, Cowan-dickie, Snyman, Saumaki, Murimurivalu, Ashton, Watson

Gopperth is a 1 year + option I believe.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:33 pm If we can’t, it’ll be our own choice. The cap is the same for every club and we have credits. If they go it’ll be down to us/mutual
Mutual is the key. The club will have their value the player theirs, it’s about making the gap between the 2 as narrow as possible. As others have mentioned players need to accept that contract sizes have reduced
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We might have got to the point where longer contracts might be more valuable than actual monetary rewards.
Whilst agents are involved, the chances of reality in contract size are limited.
The issue with England Internationals & their availability for the clubs is becoming the elephant in the room.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Regarding Steward he is now one of the first names on the England team sheet and so is guaranteed around £200 k per season. If Tigers offer him say £250k this gives him a salary of £450 k. I doubt if the amount he signed his last contract 3 years ago would have been more than £50-75 k bearing in mind he wasn’t even a first team regular then. Would be very surprised if he is even considering leaving our set up when you look at the quality of the squad and coaching.
A2O
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

I actually talked with Freddie after the Jersey game & he told me he has no intentions of leaving stating “why would anybody leave with what Steve’s building at Tigers.”
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:16 pm I’m hoping we can somehow keep Freddie Steward, George Martin, JVP and Dan Kelly?
Seeing how close Kelly is to Ford, I'd worry about losing him back home to Sale.
Super User
Super User

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:59 am
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:16 pm I’m hoping we can somehow keep Freddie Steward, George Martin, JVP and Dan Kelly?
Seeing how close Kelly is to Ford, I'd worry about losing him back home to Sale.
Depends how he feels about not "making" it there originally.
There is also I would I guess a big difference between playing your home games at WR & by a Sewage Plant.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think it’s more Fords brother who isn’t involved with Sale

A 21 year old isn’t going to move to a club because it’s close to his family or a friend is there.

Ford and Genge are both at the age where they are thinking more about family, kids and grandparents etc.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:23 am
There is also I would I guess a big difference between playing your home games at WR & by a Sewage Plant.
He ought to feel at home if he goes as he trains by one every day of the week. :smt046
Super User
Super User

LE18 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:31 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:23 am

He ought to feel at home if he goes as he trains by one every day of the week. :smt046
I always thought the smell of the tip & the mucky ditch was worse.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:29 am
I think it’s more Fords brother who isn’t involved with Sale

A 21 year old isn’t going to move to a club because it’s close to his family or a friend is there.
Or the cash offered to them. It's just as likely as it is unlikely. And I don't think friendship necessarily would be the key; more that he knows his game has flourished outside GF. If, at the end of his contract, Sale offered the right money and a chance to play alongside Ford, who knows, he might be tempted.