LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:53 pm Do people not think we can spread out signings?

Looking at the current signings I think all are improvements imo
I think the hype around OHC, and the suggestion that hes nailed on and signed up, led a lot of people, me included to expect him in this batch.

There is undoubtedly more to come, but you do start to think that maybe OHC isnt such a foregone conclusion.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kyle Hatherell has been playing rugby for La Rochelle scored a try in their win v Toulouse 2 weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7w-s_y06JQ
Actually most La Rochelle fans where hoping to keep him.
Hardly bargin basement
Jamie Shillcock was massive for Bath in their win v us earlier

and FTT is literally a 19 year old project signing...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:12 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:53 pm Do people not think we can spread out signings?

Looking at the current signings I think all are improvements imo
I think the hype around OHC, and the suggestion that hes nailed on and signed up, led a lot of people, me included to expect him in this batch.

There is undoubtedly more to come, but you do start to think that maybe OHC isnt such a foregone conclusion.
Well you look at the signings we announced all have 1 thing in common.
All signed mid season short term contracts with their clubs
Shillcock in Japan
FTT with Gloucester
Hatherall with La Rochelle
Bassett with Quins

Edit 2 things in common all EQP as well
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

These are all players that had to take new contracts midseason. Odd that they’re grouped together, and none of our recruits announced today are players coming off standard contracts. Can only assume that’s a different batch of announcements.
Suppose with Theobald Thomas signing, that puts to bed the theory of Oghre coming back also.
Hatherall looks dynamic and abrasive, if he’s a squad swap for Snyman, not too bad.
Shillcock for Hegarty is a very decent swap too.
Bassett for Ashton or maybe Saumaki.

Van Wyk - West (hopefully)
Taufete - Theobald-Thomas
Leatigaga - ?
Snyman - Hatherall
Wigglesworth - Whitely
Burns - Atkinson
Nadolo - OHC?
Saumaki - ?
Ashton - Bassett
Murimurivalu - ?
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Looks like pretty good business to me.

Wouldn't have said hooker was an area of interest, but it's a good opportunity to pick up a promising talent.

Shillcock and Hatherall are strong, versatile squad men, who should be available for large portions of the season. Same with Bassett, who is a proven tryscorer.

I don't see them being downgrades on the players they're likely to replace. Also doesn't mean OHC isn't also joining, or there isn't more to come.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

When Hatherall was at Worcester his best position seemed to be 6, allowing him the freedom to carry more often. This means we now have 3 players who, in my opinion, their best position is 6.

Edit: this might be forward planning for Martin’s call up next season!
Last edited by No6_Flanker on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Wouldn't have said hooker was an area of interest, but it's a good opportunity to pick up a promising talent.
Yes but he's 19 isn't he so you'd say he'd be in the Development squad, where it's not so much variation in position we look for till we promote them.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 pm When Hatherall was at Worcester his best position seemed to be 6, allowing him the freedom to carry more often. This means we now have 3 players who, in my opinion, their best position is 6.
Which IMO is about right. The backrow is one of the most abrasive positions, one of those (Martin) may well be in the World Cup thoughts too, the fact all 3 of them can do a top level job in at least one other position means it gives us flexibility too.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Good signings and all solid players who will add something to the mix, the Berg, Wiese, JVP, Montoya, Steward and Kelly are the core players of this team, all in the class act bracket!! I would also throw in Reffell as he has something special. Build a squad around these and will be up there!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 pm When Hatherall was at Worcester his best position seemed to be 6, allowing him the freedom to carry more often. This means we now have 3 players who, in my opinion, their best position is 6.
Which IMO is about right. The backrow is one of the most abrasive positions, one of those (Martin) may well be in the World Cup thoughts too, the fact all 3 of them can do a top level job in at least one other position means it gives us flexibility too.
Weise and Reffell will still be regular call ups. Chessum as well. Having an extra body that can play flank and lock is definitely a help. Hatherall was very good for Worcester last season, a really physical player who got through a ton of work. He should fit in well with us.

Shillcock is a great option at 15, can also cover 10 in an emergency and as shown against us for Bath is a real quality option.

Bassett for Ashton is good business. One experienced try scoring winger that suits our style of player for another with a good age difference in our favour.

Then an England under 20s hooker, never a bad area to strengthen.
RichG
Tiger Cub

Post by RichG »

Interesting wording on the Facebook post ‘We are excited to confirm 4 of the additions to the #TigersFamily from next season!’ Implies there’s more to come - ‘4 of the 5 / 6 / 7….additions’.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Since going to Japan Shillcock has only played 10 since joining the Dynaboars, I'm guessing Matt To'omua is injured? (As he's not featured at all)

However I certainly think he's a 15 first and foremost
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

4 solid signings in my opinion.

Kyle Hatherall and Jamie Shillcock were always consistent performers for Worcester. The comments from Quins fans (albeit on Twitter) suggest Josh Bassett has been a real asset to them in his short time there and imho always looked a very good finisher when playing for Wasps.

Very much hoping that OHC is still to be revealed but a good day's work for the club imho.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Monday - Immediate temp signing & Academy extensions
Tuesday - Senior Squad Extensions
Wednesday - Ex Wasps & Worcester signings

Friday - Derby team announcements

While I'm pretty certain that we're signing more than those announced today. We may say tommorow is the day for it. Quite possibly, it won't be Friday, but tomorrow is the press day for Tigers so a few of our comms team will be busy, but that will be the morning, these have all been evening announcements so of everything is prepped we could have the signed from other clubs players tommorow?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Shocked by some of the negative comments.

Shillcock - arguably Bath’s best player this season at 15 and a quality addition. Great backup to Steward and for me an upgrade on Burns.

Hatherell - we’ve all been moaning about the physicality in the backrow when Wiese is away. Can also cover lock and rumours England were looking at him.