LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by RagingBull »

I’m very excited about the signings tbh.

With us losing so many to England, these players could be massive for us.
Martin is going to be an England player next year I can feel it, Hatherell comes in as a pretty direct cover in terms of style.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If we can keep West, that is a huge plus. He’s been rock solid since he came in. West, Cronin and Whitcombe is a very good stable of LH’s, with Richardson tucked in behind. I do worry about TH with Cole and Heyes still both in the reckoning for England. Hurd does appear to have surpassed Leatigaga as next option, unless there’s an injury that I’ve missed. On the assumption both Leatigaga and Van Wyk will leave in the summer, West and an additional TH would be very solid depth.
Hooker and lock I think we’re in a good place, real mixture of internationals, experienced club level players, and promising developing talents. Hopefully Henderson stays as he’s really starting to take his chance, assuming Snyman is off.
Back row I do have slightly more concern about. Hatherall looks like a natural alternative to Liebenberg as the rangy hard working 6, taking into account Martin and Chessum can also fill that role. It’s 7 and 8 I’m more wary about our depth, Wiese, Cracknell and Reffell are quality options, but we don’t appear to have the same ready made depth behind them, Illone looks likes he’s gaining momentum, but with Janssen going, and Wiese and Reffell both internationals, we could be left short. Could do with one more addition there I’d say.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:32 pm Good interview with Pollard: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/handre-p ... dangerous/
Good that, thanks for flagging it up
coolbawn

Post by coolbawn »

Sean Jansen to join Connacht next season. See:
https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/03/10/ir ... -connacht/

Do you think it's a loss for Tigers and/or a good signing for Connacht ? Thanks
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

coolbawn wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 pm Sean Jansen to join Connacht next season. See:

Bit of both, but, he wants/needs to be playing more and with us signing Hatherall for next season I guess he figured he'd not feature much, except in the Cup. Good luck to him. He came as a project player and he's done more than I think we all expected.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Good for Tigers or for Connaught?
For me it's always what's best for the player.
He's on a journey in many ways and showing his abilities to many. Good for him.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

coolbawn wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 pm Sean Jansen to join Connacht next season. See:

From a Tigers perspective, he's a loss to our depth at 8, but he's not in our first 23.

At number 8, we have Wiese, Cracknell, Liebenberg all ahead of him, and bringing in Hatherell for next season too, plus a good youngster Illione coming through who plays 7/8.

From a Connacht perspective, they've got themselves a guy who loves carrying. He puts it in and if they don't have the depth that Tigers do in the back row he'll do well and get gametime. He's not going to let them down. He was working on a building site in New Zealand a little over a year ago, so he has potential to progress that's for sure, bit more gametime and he'll fulfil the potential more too, think it's a good move all.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Bit of both, but, he wants/needs to be playing more and with us signing Hatherall for next season I guess he figured he'd not feature much, except in the Cup. Good luck to him. He came as a project player and he's done more than I think we all expected.
Precisely my feelings. With Chessum, Reffell and Wiese almost certain to be at the RWC then Martin and Henderson possibilities I do feel we may need another back row, ideally a number 8 early in the season. The level of player we're looking for at that depth is someone like Jansen when he arrived rather than now though. He's improved a lot especially fitness wise but the strength of the back rowers we have means he's further down the pecking order than he will be at Connacht. Good move for player and both clubs IMO.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ABClub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Precisely my feelings. With Chessum, Reffell and Wiese almost certain to be at the RWC then Martin and Henderson possibilities I do feel we may need another back row, ideally a number 8 early in the season. The level of player we're looking for at that depth is someone like Jansen when he arrived rather than now though. He's improved a lot especially fitness wise but the strength of the back rowers we have means he's further down the pecking order than he will be at Connacht. Good move for player and both clubs IMO.
Disagree, even with the WC absentees we still have strength in depth. Hatherall is a massive carrier, who alongside Cracknell should allow Liebenberg a bit more freedom at no.8.

6. Hatherall 7. Cracknell 8. Liebenberg 20. Ilione

We’ve got a cap we need to stay in. At a push Wells can cover 6, Dolly 7. Always gonna be tough over the WC but players need to step up.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I don’t know if this is making a mountain out of a mole hill….

But Irish are making a lot of smoke over OHC making it to 100 appearances, would they really do this for a guy who is leaving at the end of the season?

Starting to hope we get an announcement soon - perhaps in this upcoming no game week?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:19 pm I don’t know if this is making a mountain out of a mole hill….

But Irish are making a lot of smoke over OHC making it to 100 appearances, would they really do this for a guy who is leaving at the end of the season?

Starting to hope we get an announcement soon - perhaps in this upcoming no game week?
Well if we are extending Brown for the remainder of the season it probably will be announced soon, gap week sounds like a good time to announce. Not too many other rumoured signings floating about, but likes of West, Henderson etc with OHC signing could be a good few names in there
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:21 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Disagree, even with the WC absentees we still have strength in depth. Hatherall is a massive carrier, who alongside Cracknell should allow Liebenberg a bit more freedom at no.8.

6. Hatherall 7. Cracknell 8. Liebenberg 20. Ilione

We’ve got a cap we need to stay in. At a push Wells can cover 6, Dolly 7. Always gonna be tough over the WC but players need to step up.
We've got two backrow and two locks in the England under 20s plus the ability to loan from Notts if we need to. Not ideal but should injuries strike during the world cup period we should be covered. Might also see us pilfer the Championship for some cheap cover the way we did with hooker and TCD.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:19 pm I don’t know if this is making a mountain out of a mole hill….

Another thought is that OHC is prob one of two rugby player they have with a bit of stardust name wise.
So this is PR milking.

Also they don’t get many players reaching 100 caps
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:03 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm After watching the last 3 games without the internationals, really hope we see these announcements soon.

Tom West - him alongside Montoya and Heyes has been rock solid and a cornerstone of the pack in recent weeks. Quality prop and hope he stays. Imagine Leatigaga and Van Wyk will make way.

Henderson - really showing what he can do with a run of games. Going to be difficult fitting all the locks under the cap. Gotta assume we maybe not seen Green again with injuries. Even then Snyman never lets anyone down.

OHC - guy is class and probably like-for-like replacement with Watson rumoured back to London Irish.

Two unpopular opinions….

Yes Brown has been great but with Shillcock coming in do we really need him. Would love for him to stay but is there really the room in the back three?

Reffell, if he really wants to play for Wales then will we see him move? He’s a great defensive player but lacks the all round game of MVS and in some ways Cracknell. I’d be happy with Cracknell and Illione as our openside options.
West 100% we could do with signing him. Definitely if either Leatigaga or Van Wyk is off we should be trying to keep him.

Henderson, massive if we can sign him. I do think that if Scotland have all their locks fit we may even keep him for the world cup which would be huge.

Do we need Brown, in a WC year when we'll be without Steward plus probably OHC, I'd say ideally yes. Question is can we afford him now he's increased his value with us...

Reffell, yes he's a point of difference. Cracknell is great, but Reffell is a point of difference in a big game.
Has it been confirmed we are getting OHC?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:03 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm After watching the last 3 games without the internationals, really hope we see these announcements soon.

Tom West - him alongside Montoya and Heyes has been rock solid and a cornerstone of the pack in recent weeks. Quality prop and hope he stays. Imagine Leatigaga and Van Wyk will make way.

Henderson - really showing what he can do with a run of games. Going to be difficult fitting all the locks under the cap. Gotta assume we maybe not seen Green again with injuries. Even then Snyman never lets anyone down.

OHC - guy is class and probably like-for-like replacement with Watson rumoured back to London Irish.

Two unpopular opinions….

Yes Brown has been great but with Shillcock coming in do we really need him. Would love for him to stay but is there really the room in the back three?

Reffell, if he really wants to play for Wales then will we see him move? He’s a great defensive player but lacks the all round game of MVS and in some ways Cracknell. I’d be happy with Cracknell and Illione as our openside options.
West 100% we could do with signing him. Definitely if either Leatigaga or Van Wyk is off we should be trying to keep him.

Henderson, massive if we can sign him. I do think that if Scotland have all their locks fit we may even keep him for the world cup which would be huge.

Do we need Brown, in a WC year when we'll be without Steward plus probably OHC, I'd say ideally yes. Question is can we afford him now he's increased his value with us...

Reffell, yes he's a point of difference. Cracknell is great, but Reffell is a point of difference in a big game.
Has it been confirmed we are getting OHC?
No, but a LOT of sources are saying it's a done deal all paperwork signed, so unless there's some break clause in it or he's asking to be let out of it since Borthwick has left, then I'd say it's virtually assured he'll be joining us.

What's most likely is that he is one of, if not the main, headline signing so it could well be saving it up for a big announcement.