LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:16 pm Re the backrow Candruff showed up well in the u20s. Is the consensus he isn’t quite ready.
He looked solid in the U20's but i'm not sure he's physically ready for senior rugby yet
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Kalaveti Ravouvou looks like a quality player for the Fijian Drua, would be a good pickup but I'm not sure we need any centres at the moment
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:46 pm Kalaveti Ravouvou looks like a quality player for the Fijian Drua, would be a good pickup but I'm not sure we need any centres at the moment
Ravouvou has signed for Bristol to replace Radradra.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:46 pm Kalaveti Ravouvou looks like a quality player for the Fijian Drua, would be a good pickup but I'm not sure we need any centres at the moment
I'd guess the centre situation hinges on whether Gopperth's +1 is enacted. On recent form he's justified it. In a RWC year the additional goal kicker as cover for Pollard wouldn't go amiss either.

Then whatever's going on with Cokanasiga of course.

There's a few crackers in that Drua squad. Ravouvou is one of the standouts. I thought his partnership with Nayacalevu in the AIs looked really good. Presumably for the RWC they'll look to pair Radrada and Ravouvou together with the skipper shifting out to the wing. Then the small matter of picking between Tuisova and Tuicuvu. That's with Habosi's situation in the air. Their outside back situation is ludicrous as always basically.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:43 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:16 pm Re the backrow Candruff showed up well in the u20s. Is the consensus he isn’t quite ready.
He looked solid in the U20's but i'm not sure he's physically ready for senior rugby yet
He's only 19 so has another year at that age group. He played well and had a lot to like about his game but looked like one who needed to develop his physicality a bit, that will come with physical development. Manz Jnr and Carnduff both look good prospects.

Just a short term signing to cover the world cup season is what we need.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel that generally Forwards really benefit from time in the championship first even just a game or 2.
Helps them to see the level of physicality.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Richardson is going to Tighthead now the Jersey LH and former Tiger Sam Grahamslaw has been in fine form this season.
Pushing for team of the season position.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:46 am I do think we could maybe do with another back rower especially with Martin looking so good in the row.
Currently we have
6. Hanro, Hatherall,
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione
8. Wiese,

Granted Chessum and Martin cover 6 and Martin covers 8.
But when you factor that Chessum, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese have all been picked in International squads the past 12 months and Martin must be close to a call up. We are either going to be tight at lock or back row.

Just wonder if we might see us picking up a ringer style 8 somewhere like a Jansen type signing.
I think if you have Henderson, Chessum and Martin all fit and available, you have to play them all. As ridiculous as it sounds (see my previous post) I don't think Hanro gets into our best XV anymore.

We do need one or two bods in the back row. Candruff (does he stand Head and Shoulders above the rest...) could see some game time in pre-season and then dual registration perhaps? Would save some cap space.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:48 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:46 am I do think we could maybe do with another back rower especially with Martin looking so good in the row.
Currently we have
6. Hanro, Hatherall,
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione
8. Wiese,

Granted Chessum and Martin cover 6 and Martin covers 8.
But when you factor that Chessum, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese have all been picked in International squads the past 12 months and Martin must be close to a call up. We are either going to be tight at lock or back row.

Just wonder if we might see us picking up a ringer style 8 somewhere like a Jansen type signing.
I think if you have Henderson, Chessum and Martin all fit and available, you have to play them all. As ridiculous as it sounds (see my previous post) I don't think Hanro gets into our best XV anymore.

We do need one or two bods in the back row. Candruff (does he stand Head and Shoulders above the rest...) could see some game time in pre-season and then dual registration perhaps? Would save some cap space.
Going to disagree slightly. Hanro forms part of our best backrow, and I honestly believe that the 3 names you have mentioned all play better in the 2nd row and serve the teams best interests there. Rotating the 3 of them with one on the bench won’t be the worse thing in the world and help maintain fitness
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Having Henderson, Martin or Chessum off the bench from a rotation POV would be crazy really.
Imagine having say
Dolly, Cronin, Heyes, Henderson, Cracknell as a pack bench so much impact.
Granted the odds of all our pack being fit are slim so that luxury is also slim.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:05 pm Having Henderson, Martin or Chessum off the bench from a rotation POV would be crazy really.
Imagine having say
Dolly, Cronin, Heyes, Henderson, Cracknell as a pack bench so much impact.
Granted the odds of all our pack being fit are slim so that luxury is also slim.
The other thing is that all 3 are going to be pushing for International call ups. Last night Henderson stood up well against 2 current internationals
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

This is very much a punt as I don’t know the contract situation. Just watched the Cardiff highlights and Thomas Young had an excellent game off the bench. Given he’s some way down the Welsh pecking order, and Cardiffs financial troubles I wouldn’t mind seeing him back in the Midlands
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It is staggering to think that we look at a 1st 23 with so much skill and power in the forwards and there is no room for Wells (or Green for that matter) who has been such a great Tigers servant for so long!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:57 pm It is staggering to think that we look at a 1st 23 with so much skill and power in the forwards and there is no room for Wells (or Green for that matter) who has been such a great Tigers servant for so long!
Wells could still a job imo but 4th choice. The key I suppose is your statement for so long with these young pups now making the breakthrough
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

For a few seasons the consistent view was we were underpowered at lock, Lavanini perhaps the exception, but rather than buy our way out, we have take the time to develop our own, and now have 3x locks developed within who are internationals or right on the brink of such. Chessum was arguably one of England’s best forwards recently, and yet some (not necessarily me) think he’ll be lucky to unseat the partnership of Martin and Henderson.
Then looking at what’s behind them, development wise, two England U20 locks, both even bigger than the three aforementioned locks.