Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm
TTRITH wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm OHC would be our first choice winger, followed by Potter, Bassett and then either another new signing or one or two of Murimurivelu, Saumaki or Ashton.
Yes,if he signed our back 3 would be OHC,Steward,Potter
Depends if Watson stays. Obviously with Bassett and OHC it's unlikely but that's a nice headache
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:49 pm
TTRITH wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm OHC would be our first choice winger, followed by Potter, Bassett and then either another new signing or one or two of Murimurivelu, Saumaki or Ashton.
Depends if Watson stays. Obviously with Bassett and OHC it's unlikely but that's a nice headache
Yes ,forgot about Watson! But Potter is too good to leave out ,great headache though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:04 pm

Yes ,forgot about Watson! But Potter is too good to leave out ,great headache though!
Recently I think that Potter has been a bit blinkered/selfish with the ball. One of the things OHC has really worked on is being a provider as well as a finisher.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think recently Potter has not had much room to work with getting the ball close to the touch online with a drift defence coming at him that have not been pinned in to defend and straight running in midfield. He then runs back infield a bit and can get tackled, if he does not score. No one inside him has any more space so keeping the ball, going to ground and letting the other players come in to secure it at the ruck is probably the best option. Quick wide passes can be good but they do not pin defences. We need some more midfield moves to provide space. Welford road narrow pitch does make things a bit harder to find space for running play without some midfield deception or inside shoulder running lines.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 am

Recently I think that Potter has been a bit blinkered/selfish with the ball. One of the things OHC has really worked on is being a provider as well as a finisher.
He’s also provided some of our rare bits of joy too iirc
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:12 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:03 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 am

Ashton almost definitely. We've also lost Nadolo which should cover the recruitment of OHC.

Saumaki, will depend on what he's like at training and what offers he has on the table. I suspect he's fairly cheap and seems a quiet and humble bloke. Could be a good squad man to retain as we don't have wingers coming through the academy. Ditto Murimurivalu, though he also brings a shedload of experience and has been mentioned as bringing a feel good factor in camp.
As opposed to squad slots and money, it's the fact you're be trying to recruit two players who almost exclusively play in the same position and are used to starting for their current (Premiership) clubs.
OHC is an out and out starter, not sure you can say the same for Bassett, certainly behind Lynaugh & Murley
Bassett was nailed on starter before Wasps went bust... last season he either started every PR match (23 of them) or wasn't selected at all.

Since arriving at Quins he's missed two PR matches (debuting in R8 but missing R9 and R10m, but ever present since) and missed the away trip to Racing. Yes they've got injuries, but Quins like him in the 11 shirt, and tend to fill the 14 and 15 shirt around him.

As for Lynagh, he was one of the injuries that meant Quins recruited Bassett and hasn't played at all this season.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:38 am
I think Potter is very good. Sometimes I just wish he would pin his ears back and go for the corner. On occasion he cuts back in when there would appear to be space to run an outside line and score. I know that's easy to say from the stands where I get a wider picture of space but , I would still like him to back his pace more.
As Good As It Gets
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:10 am

I think Potter is very good. Sometimes I just wish he would pin his ears back and go for the corner. On occasion he cuts back in when there would appear to be space to run an outside line and score. I know that's easy to say from the stands where I get a wider picture of space but , I would still like him to back his pace more.
Not much between Potter and Bassett in my opinion but Hassell-Collins is another level.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 am
Scuttle wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:10 am
Not much between Potter and Bassett in my opinion but Hassell-Collins is another level.
Crazy talk imo! If I'm picking my XV Potter is in over Bassett every day and twice on a Sunday!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Bassett is a good club player. I don’t see him as a first choice pick when selecting from a full fit squad but injuries and England means he will likely get lots of starts!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 am Bassett is a good club player. I don’t see him as a first choice pick when selecting from a full fit squad but injuries and England means he will likely get lots of starts!
And from what I've seen, he won't let us down
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 am Bassett is a good club player. I don’t see him as a first choice pick when selecting from a full fit squad but injuries and England means he will likely get lots of starts!
Great Post,very good squad player!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

While we've not got a game I've updated my guesses at those to be leaving. Focusing on the main movers in this list from the last one I pulled together.

Confirmed leaving:

Likely leaving:
Hosea Saumaki
Chris Ashton (retiring)
Joe Taufete'e
Sam Wolstenholme
Mike Brown

50:50 leaving:
Cam Henderson
Francois Van Wyk
Anthony Watson
Eli Snyman
Nephi Leatigaga

Possibly leaving, but unlikely:
Tommy Reffell
Jasper Wiese
Jimmy Gopperth (retiring to coach)

Sam Wolstenholme has moved up as Whiteley was announced as long term.

Mike Brown wasn't on the list before, was announced as short term, with the likes of Shilcock coming in I doubt he'll stay past this season (he may not even stay past the 6N if both Watson & Steward come back unscathed)

With some extensions announced and no Cam Henderson in that list it concerns me... He last joined us 3 years ago. The below article says he joined on a 3 year contract (although Tigers don't announce contract lengths) Hatherell joining too suggests probably him or Snyman are off, personally I'd love to see him stay with us and really hope we keep him!
https://www.theoffsideline.com/cameron- ... er-tigers/

All of the bottom 3 I'd now say are highly unlikely to leave not just unlikely.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wiese said that he was signed up till June 2024….so here next season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wigglesworth said Reffell and Wiese didn’t need extensions this season.

If Reffell got a contract change with no announcement, nothing to say Henderson hasn’t either