LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I do wonder how many of the new signings were already teed up and signed up prior to SB leaving? Not saying that they are not WW's type of player, but could be interesting if they were all SB picks.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 am Shocked by some of the negative comments.

Shillcock - arguably Bath’s best player this season at 15 and a quality addition. Great backup to Steward and for me an upgrade on Burns.

Hatherell - we’ve all been moaning about the physicality in the backrow when Wiese is away. Can also cover lock and rumours England were looking at him.
Agree, I think all the signings are good ones and probably upgrades...

1. Hathrell, I'd like to know if he's replacing anyone, we don't know leavers but if say Snyman leaves as Henderson is stepping up, it's an upgrade, if it's a Reffell replacement then a different matter. Either way though he's a good guy in the squad and an upgrade on MOST who he could be replacing.

2. Shillcock, for me he's the long term replacement for Hegarty (I consider Atkinson the Burns replacement), ok if it ends up he's a replacement for Watson (2nd Fullback), he is a step down in player quality, but that is offset by full availability through the season, if Watson is fit he's at the World Cup.

3. Bassett, likely replacement for Ashton or Saumaki IMO, upgrade on both IMO.

4. Theobald-Thomas is a dev squad player who's an England U20's player, another good pickup.

4 good bits of business IMO, all moneyball-esq
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:31 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 am Shocked by some of the negative comments.

Shillcock - arguably Bath’s best player this season at 15 and a quality addition. Great backup to Steward and for me an upgrade on Burns.

Hatherell - we’ve all been moaning about the physicality in the backrow when Wiese is away. Can also cover lock and rumours England were looking at him.
Agree, I think all the signings are good ones and probably upgrades...

1. Hathrell, I'd like to know if he's replacing anyone, we don't know leavers but if say Snyman leaves as Henderson is stepping up, it's an upgrade, if it's a Reffell replacement then a different matter. Either way though he's a good guy in the squad and an upgrade on MOST who he could be replacing.

2. Shillcock, for me he's the long term replacement for Hegarty (I consider Atkinson the Burns replacement), ok if it ends up he's a replacement for Watson (2nd Fullback), he is a step down in player quality, but that is offset by full availability through the season, if Watson is fit he's at the World Cup.

3. Bassett, likely replacement for Ashton or Saumaki IMO, upgrade on both IMO.

4. Theobald-Thomas is a dev squad player who's an England U20's player, another good pickup.

4 good bits of business IMO, all moneyball-esq
Spot on - excellent analysis......
Less is more....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Add these players to our already very good squad and we look in good shape especially with more possible additions.
A2O
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Happy with the announcements last night, all add to the squad and all likely to have more availability. I can see this being something noticeable across the clubs this year, the attraction of expensive, talented but unavalable internationals may be decreasing and I can see quite a few players in that category looking abroad post world cup.

As for OHC, I still hope that he has signed and it is certainly not unusual for announcements to be delayed whilst players are on internatiional duty or even at the request of their current club so hopeful that will come later in the season.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Do we know who's got final say on the signings at the moment?

I presume, perhaps incorrectly, it's not Wiggy, but I don't know who's responsible for the 'DOR' type role currently.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

bendy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:48 am Do we know who's got final say on the signings at the moment?

I presume, perhaps incorrectly, it's not Wiggy, but I don't know who's responsible for the 'DOR' type role currently.
I assume somewhere between Leigh Jones (General Manager), Andrea Pinchen (CEO) & Richard Wilkes (Head of Senior Recruitment).

I suspect they are getting views from any of the candidates shortlisted (who are still in the running), but doubt the final decision lies with them
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If we can get OHC and West over the line then we’ll have a great squad for next season!
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

So all of these signings were made when Steve was at the club, they are his signings in effect. I'd imagine most of the recruitment for next year is already done, which is what we're seeing come through atm, and which are Steve signings. If there are any spaces to fill for next year, then it becomes slightly more tricky. Depends if we have made a decision on who our next HC will be or not. If we have made that call then we will be liaising with them. For the rest of this season, then Wiggy will have final say on who comes into the club.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

You wouldn't expect any of those signings to be starting XV players, so we're talking squad depth. I wouldn't disagree with @ TigerFeetSteve's view that they're mostly upgrades, but I think we're talking slim margins here, nothing game-changing.

We've become very churny in recent seasons and it feels like a bit more of that.

Transfers last season was quite low-key across the whole Prem for obvious reasons, but this year we've already got some big signings... F.Russell (Bath), Malins (Bristol), Mercer (Glos), Launchbury (Quins). Let's hope we're keeping pace!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 pm You wouldn't expect any of those signings to be starting XV players, so we're talking squad depth. I wouldn't disagree with @ TigerFeetSteve's view that they're mostly upgrades, but I think we're talking slim margins here, nothing game-changing.

We've become very churny in recent seasons and it feels like a bit more of that.

Transfers last season was quite low-key across the whole Prem for obvious reasons, but this year we've already got some big signings... F.Russell (Bath), Malins (Bristol), Mercer (Glos), Launchbury (Quins). Let's hope we're keeping pace!
Next season we’ll still have 10/15 and 16/23 of the players that started the 2022 final so I think the squad has still got plenty of quality and therefore we don’t necessarily need any big signings.

OHC would be a massive addition too and a great Nadolo replacement. If the squad movement is as expected then we’ll have a stronger squad next season than this.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:33 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 pm You wouldn't expect any of those signings to be starting XV players, so we're talking squad depth. I wouldn't disagree with @ TigerFeetSteve's view that they're mostly upgrades, but I think we're talking slim margins here, nothing game-changing.

Next season we’ll still have 10/15 and 16/23 of the players that started the 2022 final so I think the squad has still got plenty of quality and therefore we don’t necessarily need any big signings.

OHC would be a massive addition too and a great Nadolo replacement. If the squad movement is as expected then we’ll have a stronger squad next season than this.
It would be interesting to know the 'team' behind accounts and contracts. As important as coaches, s&c trainers, DORs, are, as has been said, the financial implications facing clubs, preparedness for future challenges, wage cap movement, players availability etc etc, is all huge in forming squads that can provide consistent and high quality rugby. Perhaps the 'grey suits' are the unsung heroes and heroines.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

But do big signings win the league?

Or does the overall squad quality win it?
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:43 pm But do big signings win the league?

Or does the overall squad quality win it?
The latter for me. Yes, big signings might get you over the line in finals, if they are gelled with the rest of the team and have had that time to bed in, but it's the overall squad that get you there.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think that the sqaud did need to be looked at for next season and this is exactly the sort of recruitment we needed. In a world cup year, to just England alone we could lose (from the current squad) Cole, Heyes, Martin, Chessum, JVP, Youngs, Kelly, Porter, Watson and Steward. That means that we have to walk the very thin line between being very good players but not likely to be in consideration for international selection. We do not need any more stellar names in the squad as we simply cannot, I suspect, afford to recruit more players who will be away for half of they year. I suspect quite a few clubs will be looking for similar in the same way that I suspect that the value of international players will diminish and the more senior internationals will be looking for contracts abroad post world cup.