LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:35 am https://twitter.com/RedLeics/status/162 ... k0tew&s=19

Wiese stopping to help out those in need of a hand
Lucky it wasn't a Northampton fan who spotted him, otherwise he'd have been accused of trying to maliciously rip the wheel off the car!
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 am Something that hasn't been discussed on here is just who is/has been having the key say on signings for next season? Shillcock, Bassett, Hatherall etc all announced seemingly without knowing who will be in charge, what their style of play will be, will that suit those individuals etc. When the latest batch of signings were announced I was convinced that would mean WW would be confirmed full time, and that he'd obviously had a say in recruitment, had spoken to the lads joining etc - obviously not. Wilks the decision maker on recruitment regardless of who the DOR is?
So most of the recruitment for next season is already done and would have been signed off when Steve was here. Under the new rules, clubs can talk to players with 12 months left on the contract, not the 6 months like before. All it means is that business is done earlier by clubs.

Our recruitment has got a bit more sophisticated in recent years. Steve would state that he needs players in certain positions and with specific skillsets and attributes, within a certain budget - the recruitment team then use Data Analytics to filter down the options to say a final 2-3. Then the club go and speak to those players and get a deal done. It means that whilst every signing is not a guaranteed success, you have a better chance of being successful using that method. As a result, the squad is set up to play a certain playing style and is fairly consistent with that style or way of thinking.

The club are then using the same Data Analytics to find our new HC. They are trying to bring in a HC that will play a pretty similar way to what we have been doing under Steve (forward dominated etc)- that way you match up a HC that suits our squad, and tries to avoid a heavy turnover of players. It should mean we get some continuity over the next few years. However it cannot allow for personality clashes, but that it hopefully means there are little issues over recruitment and the next HC can get to work pretty quickly rather than starting again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:41 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 am Something that hasn't been discussed on here is just who is/has been having the key say on signings for next season? Shillcock, Bassett, Hatherall etc all announced seemingly without knowing who will be in charge, what their style of play will be, will that suit those individuals etc. When the latest batch of signings were announced I was convinced that would mean WW would be confirmed full time, and that he'd obviously had a say in recruitment, had spoken to the lads joining etc - obviously not. Wilks the decision maker on recruitment regardless of who the DOR is?
So most of the recruitment for next season is already done and would have been signed off when Steve was here. Under the new rules, clubs can talk to players with 12 months left on the contract, not the 6 months like before. All it means is that business is done earlier by clubs.

Our recruitment has got a bit more sophisticated in recent years. Steve would state that he needs players in certain positions and with specific skillsets and attributes, within a certain budget - the recruitment team then use Data Analytics to filter down the options to say a final 2-3. Then the club go and speak to those players and get a deal done. It means that whilst every signing is not a guaranteed success, you have a better chance of being successful using that method. As a result, the squad is set up to play a certain playing style and is fairly consistent with that style or way of thinking.

The club are then using the same Data Analytics to find our new HC. They are trying to bring in a HC that will play a pretty similar way to what we have been doing under Steve (forward dominated etc)- that way you match up a HC that suits our squad, and tries to avoid a heavy turnover of players. It should mean we get some continuity over the next few years. However it cannot allow for personality clashes, but that it hopefully means there are little issues over recruitment and the next HC can get to work pretty quickly rather than starting again.
Presumably this is one of the reasons Pinchen is taking her time over the interview process. The data will find statistically good fits but the personality, ambitions and mentality are all things that are hard to attribute numbers to.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Are we still expecting OHC?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:05 pm Are we still expecting OHC?
Yes I believe so
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don’t get me wrong,I havnt seen every LI game but the ones I have seen coupled with his England games I don’t see all the fuss. But then having seen his stats he’s got an incredible strike rate so I must watch some more of him
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:17 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:05 pm Are we still expecting OHC?
Yes I believe so
Irish haven't announced he's renewing and he is apparently out of contract this summer. You'd have thought they would have announced him having re-signed sharpish if he had put pen to paper on a new Irish deal.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

If Brown keeps up these performances (and stays for next season) then we are well set at fullback.

1. Steward
2. Shillcock
3. Brown

Has got to be the best depth in the Premiership. I’m a big advocate of Steward downloading all of Brown’s experience and learning from it.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm If Brown keeps up these performances (and stays for next season) then we are well set at fullback.

1. Steward
2. Shillcock
3. Brown

Has got to be the best depth in the Premiership. I’m a big advocate of Steward downloading all of Brown’s experience and learning from it.
Plus possibly Watson? Probably not but still possible...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm If Brown keeps up these performances (and stays for next season) then we are well set at fullback.

1. Steward
2. Shillcock
3. Brown

I'd be surprised if we kept him for next season. Steward and Shillcock are great options plus Atkinson can cover. Then Watson if he stays or his replacement.

Brown will be using this period to show he's still got it. Wasps will need to build a squad up from nowhere, he'd be an amazing option for them. I'm not sure he'd want to be third choice in the one position he can operate at. If he keeps playing like he did today he'll have options.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:19 pm Don’t get me wrong,I havnt seen every LI game but the ones I have seen coupled with his England games I don’t see all the fuss. But then having seen his stats he’s got an incredible strike rate so I must watch some more of him
Someone looking at the stats to modify their view :smt018
That will never catch on :smt044
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Apparently Wales are scraping the 60 cap rule
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

5 year deal for Tommy turnover then!!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

ads wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am 5 year deal for Tommy turnover then!!
Tommy would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to want to get involved in that mess with the Taffia over at the WRU.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

wigworth wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:13 am
ads wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am 5 year deal for Tommy turnover then!!
Tommy would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to want to get involved in that mess with the Taffia over at the WRU.
Let's be honest it's not that much better this side of the Severn.
To win is not as important as playing with style!