LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

Some promising backs coming through the ranks too, so that may mean a replacement isn’t required.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Some real talent in the NPC but judging at level it's at is not easy.
On semi related matters saw a ref reverse a Penalty in the NPC for patting the original offenders head, long overdue if that's a new directive.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:53 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 am All that said I still think Rob Miller or Ahsee Tuala (somewhat underrated player now back in NPC in NZ) could have been good moneyball style punts at fullback.
They might still be. I think there's still lots of shenanigans yet to be had with no-one rushing to sign anyone before they have to (such as Woodward to Sale - that's a month or so's salary they didn't have to pay).
Mike Brown is still unattached too. He was average last season in a poor Falcons side but if he's in shape he represents a more similar skill set to Steward than our current backups.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:33 pm Some real talent in the NPC but judging at level it's at is not easy.
On semi related matters saw a ref reverse a Penalty in the NPC for patting the original offenders head, long overdue if that's a new directive.
Good to hear I’ve also been pleased to see backs penalised for encroaching inside 5/10 metres at scrum /line out and lifting the leg at maul time being penalised
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:33 pm Some real talent in the NPC but judging at level it's at is not easy.
Tuala is proven at the top level in fairness. He's a quality player and such a powerful runner. My one concern there might be him filling a similar role that Kini already covers. Also Saumaki as a winger.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:37 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:53 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 am All that said I still think Rob Miller or Ahsee Tuala (somewhat underrated player now back in NPC in NZ) could have been good moneyball style punts at fullback.
They might still be. I think there's still lots of shenanigans yet to be had with no-one rushing to sign anyone before they have to (such as Woodward to Sale - that's a month or so's salary they didn't have to pay).
Mike Brown is still unattached too. He was average last season in a poor Falcons side but if he's in shape he represents a more similar skill set to Steward than our current backups.
Personally I wouldn’t, way past his best and some real discipline issues
peteD

Post by peteD »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am The other advantage is if we budgeted for Hegarty & Nadolo for the season it may be we have a gap in salary cap to bring in a late season signings.

e.g. bringing in Ashton last season was a big boost. Who knows where we may want the cover.
Makes sense. I don’t expect us to bring anyone else in now, but the as you say, maybe it adds the flex to add someone later on if they became available mid season due losing Nadolo and Hegarty off the budget in December.
Who knows, there might be some wasp players available later on in the season!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

peteD wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am The other advantage is if we budgeted for Hegarty & Nadolo for the season it may be we have a gap in salary cap to bring in a late season signings.

e.g. bringing in Ashton last season was a big boost. Who knows where we may want the cover.
Makes sense. I don’t expect us to bring anyone else in now, but the as you say, maybe it adds the flex to add someone later on if they became available mid season due losing Nadolo and Hegarty off the budget in December.
There's a former Wasps winger who's back in the UK still looking for a contract.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:31 pm
peteD wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 pm

There's a former Wasps winger who's back in the UK still looking for a contract.
I think after all the rumours and whispers surrounding it, how he suggested it was coming very soon then there has been silence. I am drawing some bits of info, it may be 2+2=5 but it may well be right.

1. He was planning on signing a contract, so likely had an offer in front of him.

2. The fact nothing has been announced, suggests he's had a snag.

3. Wasps are rumoured to have frozen player transfers.

4. If 2 & 3 are linked it's bad news for Wasps as withdrawing contract offers which may have been made is a bad scenario.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ey-7474005?

Intresting article on Shelly interviewing his old club.

Given all the talk about him was a fullback who covers wing, that they're saying in their full strength team he was a winger.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:50 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ey-7474005?

Given all the talk about him was a fullback who covers wing, that they're saying in their full strength team he was a winger.
Also confirmation on his EQP status :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:50 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ey-7474005?

Thanks for sharing. He does say he's equally comfortable in both shirts, I suppose it depends who they have at 15 down there.

Sounds similar to the write ups we had with Potter and Porter, fingers crossed he's got the same work ethic and commitment as they have. Glad we've managed to bring in a speedster, extra pace in the back three never hurts.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Hanro gets the captaincy, quite rightly I say!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 pm Hanro gets the captaincy, quite rightly I say!
👏👏👏
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 pm Hanro gets the captaincy, quite rightly I say!
Interesting that there's not any 'official' VC's announced. From memory, Hanro was announced as VC last year when Gengey was unveiled.