LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by mol2 »

Not sure what the talk of Gopperth for next season is about? What we have seen is that Father Time has caught up with him. Great for a man of his age but well sort of Premiership level.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Well he signed a two year deal so unless we are prepared to pay him off he’s going nowhere.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:00 pm Well he signed a two year deal so unless we are prepared to pay him off he’s going nowhere.
It’s a one year plus one deal so depending on Wigglesworth he could well move into coaching next season.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:08 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am Not seen this posted but thought i would add it in here. On last week's Rolling Maul podcast we said it is our understanding that both Dan Kelly and Dan Cole have signed new contracts, which is excellent news. We also said a few weeks back that it is our understanding that Jasper Wiese has signed a new deal as well, which is great news. All three are fantastic players so to get them tied down is a superb achievement by the club. Not so long ago we were losing quality players left right and centre.

On the new signing front, we also believe that OHC will be joining the club next season. Again, a fantastic bit of business and a top quality player in a position we need.

I think one of Steve's finest achievements is the squad he leaves behind, if/when he does go. It is genuinely one of the best in the league and is full of talented players in all positions. It is also full of young, top drawer talent who have built up a strong amount of experience already - Steward, Martin, JVP to name just 3 of so many. Legacy is a dangerous word, but i think that is what being built here, and what Steve deserves a huge amount of credit for. Whoever the replacement is, does not need to do much, just more clever additions and smart squad management.
Excellent post. I would add another name to that of Chessum who continues to impress more and more both on and off the pitch.
Average age of the team v Ospreys was 26 so as you say looking good for the future.
You could make a fairly interesting side made out of under 25's.

Whitcombe, Oghre, Heyes, Chessum, Henderson, Martin, Reffell, Jansen, JvP, Atkinson, Simmons, Kelly, Porter, Potter, Steward.

I'd back that side to do well!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:14 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am Not seen this posted but thought i would add it in here. On last week's Rolling Maul podcast we said it is our understanding that both Dan Kelly and Dan Cole have signed new contracts, which is excellent news. We also said a few weeks back that it is our understanding that Jasper Wiese has signed a new deal as well, which is great news. All three are fantastic players so to get them tied down is a superb achievement by the club. Not so long ago we were losing quality players left right and centre.

On the new signing front, we also believe that OHC will be joining the club next season. Again, a fantastic bit of business and a top quality player in a position we need.

I think one of Steve's finest achievements is the squad he leaves behind, if/when he does go. It is genuinely one of the best in the league and is full of talented players in all positions. It is also full of young, top drawer talent who have built up a strong amount of experience already - Steward, Martin, JVP to name just 3 of so many. Legacy is a dangerous word, but i think that is what being built here, and what Steve deserves a huge amount of credit for. Whoever the replacement is, does not need to do much, just more clever additions and smart squad management.
Excellent post. I would add another name to that of Chessum who continues to impress more and more both on and off the pitch.
Average age of the team v Ospreys was 26 so as you say looking good for the future.

Whitcombe, Oghre, Heyes, Chessum, Henderson, Martin, Reffell, Jansen, JvP, Atkinson, Simmons, Kelly, Porter, Potter, Steward.

Bench of
Dolly
Crane (Richardson if you up the allowable age by a year)
Hurd
Manz
Ilione
Edwards
Meredith
Cokanasiga
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:14 pm

If we put that out in the premiership I can’t see anybody complaining. If Borthwick has a legacy then this has to be it. And before any of the Crumblies post I know some started their journey under Geordan
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:57 am Not sure what the talk of Gopperth for next season is about? What we have seen is that Father Time has caught up with him. Great for a man of his age but well sort of Premiership level.
Yes,one of our the rare times we’ve got our recruitment wrong!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Horton and Shelley have now left the club,thanks to both and good luck for the upcoming season!

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ent-221216
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
bendy

Post by bendy »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:51 am Horton and Shelley have now left the club,thanks to both and good luck for the upcoming season!

Tom Horton scored 4 tries... wow, my memory really is going!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

bendy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:28 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:51 am Horton and Shelley have now left the club,thanks to both and good luck for the upcoming season!

Tom Horton scored 4 tries... wow, my memory really is going!
All in the PRC and if memory serves at least 3 of them off driving mauls.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Horton was onlyever short term cover till the Oz season started & Dolly recovered.

Shelly I had hoped we may keep but seems he's gone back also. Guessing he's had slightly less match time than he wanted &/or just missed being around family etc.

Both promising prospects and sad to see them go, wish them well and maybe we'll see them come back again.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I would also say that I think us letting Shelley go early means that the rest of our backs are probably all fit and ready to go.

Since the start of the season we've now let 3 backs leave and only replaced 1.

Hegarty -> Atkinson
Nadolo
Shelley

So either our remainder are all fit and firing or we have found that with Shelley's salary freed up we can afford to bring another back in (previously linked to Shilcock who is no longer at Bath)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

With PRC now done and dusted that puts less of a strain on numbers too, though if we loose both Watson and Steward to England we may get a little thin on the ground.
Maybe Falcons are prepared to let Radwan go early after releasing Mcguigan
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:29 am With PRC now done and dusted that puts less of a strain on numbers too, though if we loose both Watson and Steward to England we may get a little thin on the ground.
With Pollard back fit I'm not seeing us too thin on the ground

Our 15 options minus Steward & Watson are

Burns
Atkinson
Ashton
Simmons
Potter

Plus Walsh in the Dev squad

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we squeeze an extra back 3 player in.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:32 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:29 am With PRC now done and dusted that puts less of a strain on numbers too, though if we loose both Watson and Steward to England we may get a little thin on the ground.
With Pollard back fit I'm not seeing us too thin on the ground

Our 15 options minus Steward & Watson are

Burns
Atkinson
Ashton
Simmons
Potter

Plus Walsh in the Dev squad

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we squeeze an extra back 3 player in.
I was forgetting Simmons who for them to chuck straight in via Ospreys they must have confidence in him.
Worse case scenario for 6 nations we loose in the back JVP Youngs Kelly Porter Watson and Steward.
Personally I would be surprised if Porter went and feel whoever the England coach is will want to look at other faces than Youngs with both him and JVP still going to the World Cup.