LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by johnthegriff »

I am at a loss to understand why so many are suggesting the return of Oghre to our hooked position. Whilst he was with us he got little game time and little chance to impress. The loss of Montoya to the World Cup leaves us with Clare, Dolly, Vanes and Finn Theobald Thomas, plus of course Seb Smith. I am assuming that Taufette is leaving but have no knowledge that that is so.but I would have thought that the number and quality hookers is sufficient for our needs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Quite. A very good player but not necessarily in a position we need (unless someone leaves).
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Unless I've missed something none of our current squad have been announced as signing elsewhere yet. Given a number of them would be decent signings for other clubs at various levels that bodes quite well.

Watson is the only one I've even heard a proper rumour about.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LtPigeon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LtPigeon »

According to several London Irish fans, Watson going home is a done-deal, as is OHC
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The bit that interests me most is it's says McKellar consulted on Hassel-Collins, if that's true, given it was Jan this was supposedly signed and sealed, if not December (can't exactly remember) it means we have had a real plan since the Jones sacking and have been implementing it well.

However it is the ruck so salt well pinched...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

LtPigeon wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:02 am According to several London Irish fans, Watson going home is a done-deal, as is OHC
Indeed, he is the only one with even a rumour floating about.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hmmm no disrespect to London Irish but would have thought if he was leaving it would be a higher profile team maybe in France.
A2O
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:52 am Hmmm no disrespect to London Irish but would have thought if he was leaving it would be a higher profile team maybe in France.
London Irish have been throwing some decent money around, I believe Coleman and Simmons are supposed to be very highly paid particularly. Added in that it would essentially be moving home like Ford did I could see it happening.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:25 am I am at a loss to understand why so many are suggesting the return of Oghre to our hooked position. Whilst he was with us he got little game time and little chance to impress. The loss of Montoya to the World Cup leaves us with Clare, Dolly, Vanes and Finn Theobald Thomas, plus of course Seb Smith. I am assuming that Taufette is leaving but have no knowledge that that is so.but I would have thought that the number and quality hookers is sufficient for our needs.
This is my thinking on it, and why I think it's a possibility:

1. You say we may lose Montoya to the World Cup, however Dolly is also well in the picture for this. England will take 3 Hookers, it seems Borthwick is unconvinced of any but George and Cowan-Dickie. If Dolly comes back and plays well Borthwick knows him and what he can do.
Clare, Vanes, Theobald-Thomas is a lot lighter option during the world Cup with Dolly removed. (I don't see Seb Smith as a valid Prem option as yet)

2. Our gameplan relies on a strong hooker, and you always need a minimum of 2 in a 23, we will lose at least 1 for Internationals. So 3 frontline hookers plus 2 young guns is not too excessive, especially in a World Cup year.

3. OK so he didn't impact much this season, what he is though is the only hooker to make the 23 in the prem and Europe when we had both Montoya & Clare fit. So he was felt good enough to give them a break. That has not bee the case for Taufete'e.

4. Montoya and Clare were both available, why sign him in the first place? He was never going to get much gametime, we had Horton & Cowan-Dickie when he signed even if Taufete'e was injured, so surely they can cover in case of injury? Seems weird signing a bloke for 6 weeks if they're not needed. Unless it was Tigers thinking we may need to sign a decent hooker next season, why not have an extended trial, see how he fits in with the squad.

5. Like you say we're ok for hookers, we're also ok for back rows, but if we lose some of the people like Dolly & Martin on top of those we're losing already we will be tighter, maybe not enough to warrant an extra out and out hooker or an extra out and out back row, but what about one player who covers both if we pick up injuries?

6. Like I say he covers back row. Montoya is an 80 min world class player at times. By having a replacement hooker capable of back row play we allow Montoya to maybe play 80 while not tying up a bench spot. Dolly has done this a couple of times, but it's not really a role Clare can do.

This is though entirely me putting 2 & 2 together, I ended up with 6 points so it probably ain't true, but that's my thinking behind it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:58 am
ay2oh wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:52 am Hmmm no disrespect to London Irish but would have thought if he was leaving it would be a higher profile team maybe in France.
London Irish have been throwing some decent money around, I believe Coleman and Simmons are supposed to be very highly paid particularly. Added in that it would essentially be moving home like Ford did I could see it happening.
Sounds plausible to me - they play a style of rugby that would suit Watson perfectly
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Pre Christmas Montoya was unavailable due to time with Argentina and carrying an injury. Dolly of course was also injured and is still not available. Clare played but was not always fully fit, Horton was short term as was Cowan Dickie. Vanes had missed out on development rugby due to the pandemic, game time at Nottingham will have helped him, signing Theobald Thomas judging be Under 20's performance looks to be a good move. Seb Smith may well not be Premiership ready but with three possibly four ahead of him even with Montoya's absence I think it unlikely he will be called upon. Dolly is a fine player but he is not yet back from injury and it is most unlikely that he will have time to prove himself for the World Cup as there are only a few games left and Montoya will if fit be starting, he first hast to establish himself ahead of Clare.
Tiger's budget is tight, we cannot spend big on unneeded players.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

End of season, players leaving. OMG, Ruck hitting the peak of journalism again!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:44 am
LtPigeon wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:02 am According to several London Irish fans, Watson going home is a done-deal, as is OHC
Indeed, he is the only one with even a rumour floating about.
Yep, I've heard this from a couple of usually well informed LI fans over on another forum.

Makes sense as well really. Rumours were that Tigers got him at an absolute steal as he needed a club for one year going into the RWC. Watson's one of my favourite players at his peak so will be a shame to see him go if so but on the upside we're likely to get more games from OHC given when Watson's fit his class will mean he's rapidly back in the England XV.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Guess there’s a reciprocal agreement regarding announcements too if that’s the case.