TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:12 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 pm

It will be interesting Quirke is struggling to get past Cliffe in the Sale team at present
Gus Warr is IMO not only capable of keeping Quirke out the England team, he's also got a shot at it himself...
My apologies of course it’s Warr. No idea where I got Cliffe from. Bit early for Warr IMO
Possibly a bit too early but I wouldn't be shocked. Borthwick's of the mentality you're good enough you're old enough. One or two knocks and he's certainly in the reckoning
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

After tonight, keeping Tom West is top priority. He (and Heyes) were massive in that second half.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:59 pm After tonight, keeping Tom West is top priority. He (and Heyes) were massive in that second half.
Agreed. He's a quality prop, I've said it before, I was amazed no one went in for him before we did. He needs to be playing in a Tigers shirt next season. At 26 he's in his peak years and will be for a while.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:31 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:59 pm After tonight, keeping Tom West is top priority. He (and Heyes) were massive in that second half.
Agreed. He's a quality prop, I've said it before, I was amazed no one went in for him before we did. He needs to be playing in a Tigers shirt next season. At 26 he's in his peak years and will be for a while.
Couldn’t agree more. Having Cronin at 31 (I think), West at 26 and Whitcombe at 22/23 (I think) is properly strong at LH. Then Miell coming through learning at 18/19.

Having props of:

Cole, Heyes, Hurd
Cronin, West, Whitcombe

With Richardson able to play both sides and Hoyt the next one coming through I think we’re almost set. Maybe keeping one of Nephi and Francois but only if cap allows for me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 am
Couldn’t agree more. Having Cronin at 31 (I think), West at 26 and Whitcombe at 22/23 (I think) is properly strong at LH. Then Miell coming through learning at 18/19.

Having props of:

Cole, Heyes, Hurd
Cronin, West, Whitcombe

With Richardson able to play both sides and Hoyt the next one coming through I think we’re almost set. Maybe keeping one of Nephi and Francois but only if cap allows for me.
I don't see the point in keep van Wyk if West signs. None of the three LHs in front of him will get called up internationally. Richardson is more than capable of playing both sides which is great. If another prop spot is available then tighthead is the one we need given both Heyes and Cole could be called up by England and suddenly we'd be looking at Hurd, Richardson and Hoyt as our options.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:02 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 am

Having props of:

Cole, Heyes, Hurd
Cronin, West, Whitcombe

I don't see the point in keep van Wyk if West signs. None of the three LHs in front of him will get called up internationally. Richardson is more than capable of playing both sides which is great. If another prop spot is available then tighthead is the one we need given both Heyes and Cole could be called up by England and suddenly we'd be looking at Hurd, Richardson and Hoyt as our options.
Totally agree Sam if we can get West to sign a long term deal there is no need to keep Van Wyk or Lady Gaga who is rumoured to be on a fair old wedge.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Agree with the consensus, keeping Tom West should be a top priority. I'm sure we'd all be over the moon if that one was made permanent. Excellent player.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do think we could maybe do with another back rower especially with Martin looking so good in the row.
Currently we have
6. Hanro, Hatherall,
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione
8. Wiese,

Granted Chessum and Martin cover 6 and Martin covers 8.
But when you factor that Chessum, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese have all been picked in International squads the past 12 months and Martin must be close to a call up. We are either going to be tight at lock or back row.

Just wonder if we might see us picking up a ringer style 8 somewhere like a Jansen type signing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... -Aiow&s=19

Note the date watching this video...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:46 am I do think we could maybe do with another back rower especially with Martin looking so good in the row.
Currently we have
6. Hanro, Hatherall,
8. Wiese,

But when you factor that Chessum, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese have all been picked in International squads the past 12 months and Martin must be close to a call up. We are either going to be tight at lock or back row.

Just wonder if we might see us picking up a ringer style 8 somewhere like a Jansen type signing.
If Borthwick picks on form he has to be seriously looking at Martin even if Chessum is fit. Agree about back row at least 1 unit short.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:57 am https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... -Aiow&s=19

Note the date watching this video...
Nice try :smt044 :smt044
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I’ve heard from a very reliable source that we are signing Etzebeth and DuPont next season.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:39 am I’ve heard from a very reliable source that we are signing Etzebeth and DuPont next season.
Your source is rubbish, mainly because I've heard we're getting Pieter-Steph du Toit, Juan Martín Hernández alongg with Ox Nchè
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:46 am I do think we could maybe do with another back rower especially with Martin looking so good in the row.
Currently we have
6. Hanro, Hatherall,
8. Wiese,

Agreed. I think we need to secure a LH, TH, backrow and a utility back for next season. Maybe a 9 as well though maybe we could loan one from the Championship or sign a veteran Wiggy style.

Cracknell and Liebenburg being so versatile certainly helps with backrow recruitment but we will definitely need another body. Again the Championship could be our friend there. We've got some good backrow coming through so probably won't need a long term option.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re the backrow Candruff showed up well in the u20s. Is the consensus he isn’t quite ready.