LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:38 pm Pre Christmas Montoya was unavailable due to time with Argentina and carrying an injury. Dolly of course was also injured and is still not available. Clare played but was not always fully fit, Horton was short term as was Cowan Dickie.
Horton was also well on his way by mid December and wasn't trusted anywhere near the first 23 squad for either Prem or European matches in his short time here.
CharlieTheTiger

Post by CharlieTheTiger »

I know its Ruck but a back row of Reffell and Willis tasty
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Think we have been linked with all of them in some form over the past 5-6 years, just Ruck making a story out of nothing!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:39 am
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:38 pm Pre Christmas Montoya was unavailable due to time with Argentina and carrying an injury. Dolly of course was also injured and is still not available. Clare played but was not always fully fit, Horton was short term as was Cowan Dickie.
Horton was also well on his way by mid December and wasn't trusted anywhere near the first 23 squad for either Prem or European matches in his short time here.
Which was a shame because he was good in the PRC games. I suspect it was always known to be a short term deal so there wasn't much point bedding him into the first team but there was giving our younger props and locks in the PRC an experienced hooker.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:49 am
Which was a shame because he was good in the PRC games. I suspect it was always known to be a short term deal so there wasn't much point bedding him into the first team but there was giving our younger props and locks in the PRC an experienced hooker.
Which was also odd given the reluctance to play Taufete'e even before his injury.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:49 am
I think one of the reasons we've only seen Montoya and Clare in the 23 recently is that he's not quite rated as highly as was considered when we signed him. I think we'll only see Clare or Montoya rested once Dolly is back fit.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/GregMannion86/statu ... HAN6g&s=19

Greg Mannion one of the Academy coaches is leaving to go to Hull KR
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

Just seen on Facebook that Mike brown only here till the Edinburgh game and also that Harry wells might be off at the end of season. Anyone else heard anything about Harry being off?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:44 pm Just seen on Facebook that Mike brown only here till the Edinburgh game and also that Harry wells might be off at the end of season. Anyone else heard anything about Harry being off?
All the stuff I heard on Brown is that he was for just the duration of the 6N to cover Steward and Watson. We may not have cap space to extend him beyond.

With Wells he signed an extension announced in August, so this season (1st July new contracts run from). So unless a early release has been agreed he was originally under contract next season.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Shouldn’t there be space in the cap with Freddie leaving early or has Charlie A used up all of that?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:19 pm Shouldn’t there be space in the cap with Freddie leaving early or has Charlie A used up all of that?
Don't think that was Atkinson, more West, Whiteley & Brown who have been signed post Burns leaving.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Can’t see Wells going tbh.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Will West and Brown not most likely be injury dispensation? Cronin and Kini out long term in the same positions. Likewise Taufete'e for Dolly.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

This season has been a bit all over the place with the three mid season leavers.

For next season it'll probably roll out to be;

Atkinson for Burns
Shillcock for Hegarty
Hassell-Collins for Nadolo

We might well have made some savings across the three deals there. Might be enough to keep Brown. There could be some good back three deals to be had with the Regions suffering and some of the Wasps and Wuss guys still struggling to find new jobs. Harri Doel from Wuss is playing semi pro rugby for instance. Could be a steal for a club in the summer.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm Will West and Brown not most likely be injury dispensation? Cronin and Kini out long term in the same positions. Likewise Taufete'e for Dolly.
So there's a few things that make me unsure we could be doing that.

1. Kini has been in quite a few training pics since he got injured in the AI's (Jan time I think we started seeing him in pics) I don't think he's been unavailable since we had Brown certainly.

2. With Cronin back in training, signing West as injury dispensation would be a strange one, see below quote from the regs. You can't play a player you sign an injury dispensation which means we wouldn't be able to pick him till April.
Where dispensation has been granted in respect of an Injured Player, that Injured Player may not play rugby in any Competition or any other fixture for his Club, or for any other club, until:

(a) where the injury is in a single Salary Cap Year, a period of twelve weeks has elapsed from the date on which the player was certified as having been injured as set out in the Injury Certificate;
Based on that I think we essentially allowed Burns to go a bit early to help us get depth we ideally wanted e.g. an extra Scrum Half & Prop as we were tight on depth given England were taking two props and two scrum halves.

England also took our two best fullbacks so I think we put Brown on trial and possibly said we only have this much left, is this enough for you to cover the 6N.