Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:25 pm
Scuttle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:12 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:02 pm https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 79t4Q&s=19

Sounds like Wigglesworth dead bat to Watson's future...
Good. That means he might be staying
It seems hard to believe that we'd sign OHC, Bassett and Shilcock, keep Brown AND re-sign Watson. That's a lot of salary cap in the back three. Although, we don't appear to have academy grads that are ready to step up in those positions.
Watson took a pay cut to join us. He isn't on the stellar salary that Bath paid. Bassett and Shillcock will not be on large salaries, Brown will be on less given his lack of options. We know Ashton is out the door and then both Hegarty and Nadolo won't be with us. It's not looking like a particularly large expense.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:29 pm Watson took a pay cut to join us. He isn't on the stellar salary that Bath paid. Bassett and Shillcock will not be on large salaries, Brown will be on less given his lack of options. We know Ashton is out the door and then both Hegarty and Nadolo won't be with us. It's not looking like a particularly large expense.
You're right, we've lost a few back three players this season, which should have made some headroom. Though Watson has come back from serious injury and established himself in the England XV, so you'd expect he might want his employers to re-evaluate his worth now!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm my overall point is this, part of the reason we fell away for so long was the academy pipeline was shut off, part of the reason we re-emerged was it was re-opened spectacularly, we should be looking for ways to keep that going, if we have injuries we should trust the development players to fill in instead of going for someone from outside to come in for a few short weeks.

Unless of course the difference in quality is the same as Mike Brown to the development squad at full back. But I doubt we would find a lock of that quality on the open market at this stage of the season as Brown is clearly still good enough to start for a top side
I get what you're saying, but we're talking about injury dispensation. We have a "Ollie Chessum" sized chunk of salary cap which given he last signed after he got capped is an International wage.

Realistically we know Lewis Chessum and Tom Manz will have the opportunity in the World cup to stake their claims and nothing will stop that.

We are in the knockouts of the Champions Cup and the 2 matches off the semifinal of the league. Not really when we want to be testing our youngsters.

I think we'd be remiss not to have a look about to see if there were any options of a International or club first team lock if all of Chessum, Wells & Green are out. Just because we're looking doesn’t mean we'll get anyone but certainly worth a quick check IMO.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I’d be very surprised, given recent interviews, if we weren’t constantly looking for personnel
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:44 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm my overall point is this, part of the reason we fell away for so long was the academy pipeline was shut off, part of the reason we re-emerged was it was re-opened spectacularly, we should be looking for ways to keep that going, if we have injuries we should trust the development players to fill in instead of going for someone from outside to come in for a few short weeks.

Unless of course the difference in quality is the same as Mike Brown to the development squad at full back. But I doubt we would find a lock of that quality on the open market at this stage of the season as Brown is clearly still good enough to start for a top side
I get what you're saying, but we're talking about injury dispensation. We have a "Ollie Chessum" sized chunk of salary cap which given he last signed after he got capped is an International wage.

Realistically we know Lewis Chessum and Tom Manz will have the opportunity in the World cup to stake their claims and nothing will stop that.

We are in the knockouts of the Champions Cup and the 2 matches off the semifinal of the league. Not really when we want to be testing our youngsters.

I think we'd be remiss not to have a look about to see if there were any options of a International or club first team lock if all of Chessum, Wells & Green are out. Just because we're looking doesn’t mean we'll get anyone but certainly worth a quick check IMO.
I don't think if we signed someone they would be allowed to play in Europe, but I'm not overly sure on registration rules
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:56 pm [quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=850873 time=<a href="tel:1680025447">1680025447</a> user_id=34255]
[quote="Jimmy Skitz" post_id=850866 time=<a href="tel:1680022097">1680022097</a> user_id=7880]
my overall point is this, part of the reason we fell away for so long was the academy pipeline was shut off, part of the reason we re-emerged was it was re-opened spectacularly, we should be looking for ways to keep that going, if we have injuries we should trust the development players to fill in instead of going for someone from outside to come in for a few short weeks.

[/quote]

I don't think if we signed someone they would be allowed to play in Europe, but I'm not overly sure on registration rules
[/quote]

If they are registered by end of tomorrow they can

But even then if it was start of the season I may agree with not bringing anyone in yet.

But it’s the business end we have
Quins
Exeter
Then the playoffs if all goes well

all rivals
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:29 pm Watson took a pay cut to join us. He isn't on the stellar salary that Bath paid. Bassett and Shillcock will not be on large salaries, Brown will be on less given his lack of options. We know Ashton is out the door and then both Hegarty and Nadolo won't be with us. It's not looking like a particularly large expense.
You're right, we've lost a few back three players this season, which should have made some headroom. Though Watson has come back from serious injury and established himself in the England XV, so you'd expect he might want his employers to re-evaluate his worth now!
As he found last summer though, there isn't much market in the Prem for marquee level wingers. They aren't a luxury many DORs are going to go in for with a reducing salary cap. He can stay on a lower wage and then look to top up with England appearance bonuses or he can head off abroad and get more cash but miss out on England.

Can't be an easy decision to make and another one year deal probably isn't very appetising.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

What a brilliant capture OHC is! Gives us the raw pace out wide that we've needed for a while imho. Really excited to see him play for us.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:43 pm What a brilliant capture OHC is! Gives us the raw pace out wide that we've needed for a while imho. Really excited to see him play for us.
Totally agree. Word about Josh Bassett too, he is a proven performer at premiership level, and scored tries regularly at whatever club he has played for. Looking forward to seeing him in a tigers jersey.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:56 pm
Midday tomorrow is the deadline for European registrations. Here's the extract from the rules
Additional Player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Wednesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant Additional Players) during the pool stage.

Note once the knockouts have begun that's it no more registrations, so noon tomorrow is the hard deadline for Europe, and you can't register someone who's played for another club in Europe this season (although they can have been registered)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:52 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:43 pm What a brilliant capture OHC is! Gives us the raw pace out wide that we've needed for a while imho. Really excited to see him play for us.
Totally agree. Word about Josh Bassett too, he is a proven performer at premiership level, and scored tries regularly at whatever club he has played for. Looking forward to seeing him in a tigers jersey.
Completely agree. I've always been impressed by Bassett when he played for Wasps. Two great signings imho.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:25 pm
Completely agree. I've always been impressed by Bassett when he played for Wasps. Two great signings imho.
+1
As Good As It Gets
Tacticalbeard
Tiger Cub

Post by Tacticalbeard »

Agreed! im happy Josh is playing FOR us too, every time we played Wasps, he had a track record of scoring tries AGAINST us :smt003
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tacticalbeard wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:16 am
Agreed! im happy Josh is playing FOR us too, every time we played Wasps, he had a track record of scoring tries AGAINST us :smt003
Agree too.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:51 am I wonder if the OHC move might have been him preempting issues at LI.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -week.html

Seems there might be trouble at t'mill again.
They have been rumoured to be in trouble for a while. As lovely a stadium as that is they barely ever more than half fill it, no matter what Craig Doyle says, and it doesn’t belong to them. You also have to question the wisdom of locating half way between Quins and Sarries