Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by ads »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:15 pm Tigers confirm signing Mike Brown.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ent-230130
Watson and Porter called up makes this a necessity really
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Brown looked off the pace in his last few games for Falcons, but he's always been good under the high ball, which he'll be doing plenty of with our game plan!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Solid old head to drop in at full back, letting Atkinson cover at fly half. We really need Saumaki and Muri to come out of the wood work and get into the action.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

so Simmons, Potter & Brown back 3, who is the cover, Browning?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:02 pm Brown looked off the pace in his last few games for Falcons, but he's always been good under the high ball, which he'll be doing plenty of with our game plan!
I remember him being spiral bombed by Fordie at home last season with a number of knock ons much to the loud amusement of Tigers home fans. Hope he has forgot
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:41 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:02 pm Brown looked off the pace in his last few games for Falcons, but he's always been good under the high ball, which he'll be doing plenty of with our game plan!
I remember him being spiral bombed by Fordie at home last season with a number of knock ons much to the loud amusement of Tigers home fans. Hope he has forgot
Dropped more in that game than in his whole international career. At his best the worlds premier FB under the high ball,and I include Folau and Kearney in that too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Needs must. Agree with those who say it looked like he struggled at Falcons, but I've always admired his determination and I think from a personality point alone it will be good to have him here.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He's not going to be troubling the first team once we start getting players back but given the call ups and injury crisis it's a canny move.

What we need to do whilst he's here is get some of that rugby intelligence from him and use it to help the backline. He was never the quickest or the most skilful but he reads the game very well, timing his runs into the attack particularly.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:45 pm He's not going to be troubling the first team once we start getting players back but given the call ups and injury crisis it's a canny move.

What we need to do whilst he's here is get some of that rugby intelligence from him and use it to help the backline. He was never the quickest or the most skilful but he reads the game very well, timing his runs into the attack particularly.
His attacking play was almost none existent for England,he’s incredibly strong in contact and always made ground and I don’t recall him getting turned over but he was very blinkered. But ironically his attacking play came on leaps and bounds after he finished with England and I’ve seen some very good offloads and passing assists by him. But fundamentally at his best he was a superb FB,and for me was the home nations best. It was only through spite and favouritism that he never got a Lions cap
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Absolutely nothing to base this on other than gut feeling but I wonder if Mike Brown might end up with a coaching role IF Wigglesworth gets the gig permanently.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:28 pm Absolutely nothing to base this on other than gut feeling but I wonder if Mike Brown might end up with a coaching role IF Wigglesworth gets the gig permanently.
I had the same thought myself, equally devoid of any basis.
As Good As It Gets
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:28 pm Absolutely nothing to base this on other than gut feeling but I wonder if Mike Brown might end up with a coaching role IF Wigglesworth gets the gig permanently.
Well he certainly fits the criteria to be a Tigers coach............
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 pm Needs must. Agree with those who say it looked like he struggled at Falcons, but I've always admired his determination and I think from a personality point alone it will be good to have him here.
Different environment and personalities around him too. I suspect 95% of his trial was fitness based under Aled's close eye.

A really shrewed signing, particularly if we end up blooding some more academy talent in the couple of Prem matches in the period. We've seen Ilione and Edwards, I wonder if we may see Cusick or Woodward in the centres at some point.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:33 am
Well he certainly fits the criteria to be a Tigers coach............
Nah, he's not an ex-Tiger 😉