LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by sam16111986 »

Green was subbed on 45 mins Vs Newcastle on 7th Jan and hasn't played since. If we are looking around it would suggest he and Wells have injuries that would put them out for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure who'd be available and who would be able to slot in on short notice.

Neither Henderson nor Martin have played that many games this season so thankfully there shouldn't be a big issue with needing the rest them. It's only if one of them had a niggling injury we were having to manage that we might have a problem.

Chessum Jnr would be a good option to switch in against Chiefs. Physical, good jumper and disrupts rolling mauls. That would allow us to rotate one of the starters if we needed to. Snyman also does a solid if unspectacular job when he plays, dependable player.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tempt Kruis out of retirement for a tilt at a last Prem title and a RWC place...? :smt030
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We do not know the extent of any injury to Wells or Green, we do have Martin, Henderson and Snyman available. Twenty two year old Tom Manz should be ready to play a part by now so could see him on the bench. Louis Chessum is young but really looks the part, he maybe needs another year before having significant time in the Premiership. An option if needed might be Liebenberg to lock with Illione or Jansen into the back row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Can't pick anyone who has played in Europe right? If we want them to be able to play any knock out games.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I noted that Wolstenholme was one of the bench reserves yesterday, despite Whitely seemingly being above in the pecking order previously, do we think that we may see Wolstenholme soon in a Tigers jersey?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:37 pm Can't pick anyone who has played in Europe right? If we want them to be able to play any knock out games.
Yep. I said Kruis tongue in cheek but would love it.

If Launchbury wants to make the RWC, realistically his last chance given the injury toll, then he'd be much better off playing the Prem run in that being in Japan. I do think Launchbury slowed after the injuries but he'd still be a very useful short term addition. His maul work is still some of the best around and with Hanro being such a strong jumper at 6 his relative weakness there shouldn't be an issue.

When Tigers are trying to sign a lock it's a legal requirement to mention Ruan Botha right?
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Can only presume Wells has taken an injury for us to be looking. Green has a pretty serious knee injury I believe, we obviously know about Chessum. We would have had Martin, Henderson, Snyman and Wells for the run-in, plus the young lads, which would have been sufficient. So my guess is a knock for Wells.

Launchbury would be a great shout, however i believe his team in Japan still have a chance of the play-offs, which would extend his time there and stop him from coming for a contract with us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rory Arnold’s team doesn’t have anything to play for now

Maybe ask Mckeller to put in a good word for us to his old mate
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

a few short weeks ago Martin would have been no ones first choice at lock, now it seems unthinkable to not pick him, we'll never know if Tom Manz or Lewis Chessum are ready until they play, I'd sooner give them game time then sign someone for a few weeks
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Difference is Martin isn’t making his pro debut in the tight end of the season pretty much
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 pm Difference is Martin isn’t making his pro debut in the tight end of the season pretty much
no but he was at some point, Manz or L. Chessum coming off the bench will not be the difference between making the playoffs or not
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:40 pm a few short weeks ago Martin would have been no ones first choice at lock, now it seems unthinkable to not pick him, we'll never know if Tom Manz or Lewis Chessum are ready until they play, I'd sooner give them game time then sign someone for a few weeks
I’ve been saying for months that with his engine Martin should have been playing lock. The difference with him and the 2 you mention is that he already had a good few premiership games behind him.
In saying that having seen his performances with the u20s I would say Lewis Chessum is more than ready
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Get Brad Thorn in!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 pm Difference is Martin isn’t making his pro debut in the tight end of the season pretty much
15 mins off the bench for Lewis Chessum wouldn't be make or break. Given his strengths and how the side plays it's only a matter of time before he comes in and finds himself at home at this level.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd argue there's a big difference between coming in at blindside then shifting to lock once comfortable compared to just being dropped in at lock. Chessum and Martin both started at 6 then transitioned into lock. Lewis looks a fantastic talent but I'm not sure he's one to play blindside so may well take a bit longer to come through.

If Chessum, Green and Wells are all out for the foreseeable then a signing such as Arnold that would immediately improve the 23 is worth it coming up to KO rugby.