LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:34 pm Well during the World Cup we will almost certainly be without Pollard and Steward, so Atkinson very much will be playing 10.

Players will need resting after, so I think a good 6/7 fixtures will see us pretty stretched.
Agreed, with it being a world cup year we will have Shillcock who will be our primary 15 and secondary 10, so if either him or Atkinson got injured 100% he'd be starting if he stayed. If not starting he still makes the 23 for me.

For me if it's between him and Kini, 100% I'd go Brown (Kini may also be in the Fiji squad)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The fact we've registered Brown for Europe confirms he's staying till post Edinburgh surely...

https://twitter.com/spkeene/status/1638 ... Q7GlA&s=19
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:21 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 pm https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 268Lw&s=19

So we're in discussions with Brown for a new deal according to today's press conference with Wigglesworth
That’s all well and good but where does he fit in next season? On the off chance Steward is away, Shillcock injured and Atkinson is playing 10?

If he’s happy with that then fair play but he’d be fighting for time on the pitch.
Next season will be a late start and a busy season, with the internationals not being back til around Christmas post the RWC and then disappearing to the 6N.

And I think Mike Brown isn't someone who would take his place for granted. He's had to fight for a lot over the years.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:06 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 pm https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 268Lw&s=19

So we're in discussions with Brown for a new deal according to today's press conference with Wigglesworth
That’s all well and good but where does he fit in next season? On the off chance Steward is away, Shillcock injured and Atkinson is playing 10?

If he’s happy with that then fair play but he’d be fighting for time on the pitch.
Next season will be a late start and a busy season, with the internationals not being back til around Christmas post the RWC and then disappearing to the 6N.

And I think Mike Brown isn't someone who would take his place for granted. He's had to fight for a lot over the years.
The only problem we'd get is that none of Steward, Shillcock or Brown really work as wingers. Ideally we'd want more positional versatility. Only Shillcock is comfortable at another position.

That being said there might not be a better option in the market place so Brown or Shillcock might just have to do some pre season training time on the wing in case if emergency.

If you look at someone like Kini though who covers most the backline and flanker. That's a great squad option though he might be heading to the world cup.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of wing McKellar prefers. Wigglesworth has tended towards to quick, hard working options. Borthwick preferred one quick, work horse and then one power option/strike runner.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 am

The only problem we'd get is that none of Steward, Shillcock or Brown really work as wingers. Ideally we'd want more positional versatility. Only Shillcock is comfortable at another position.

That being said there might not be a better option in the market place so Brown or Shillcock might just have to do some pre season training time on the wing in case if emergency.

If you look at someone like Kini though who covers most the backline and flanker. That's a great squad option though he might be heading to the world cup.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of wing McKellar prefers. Wigglesworth has tended towards to quick, hard working options. Borthwick preferred one quick, work horse and then one power option/strike runner.
Whilst versatility is a good thing.

Steward has played wing a number of times and as you say Shillcock plays 10, that is "enough" versatility for me.

Kini, for all his good points, he doesn't quite have the kicking game for how we play at fullback (Fiji & La Rochelle use fullbacks differently). Outside the PRC, for Tigers he's only started once (back in Feb 2021) anywhere other than wing. At centre he's not defensively tight enough positionally.

Flanker he isn't quite one, during an availability crisis we had him provide bench cover, but people like Van Wyk, Whitcombe & Dolly have all played more minutes there than him.

I love Kini as a guy and a player but for me if the choice was him or Brown I'd want Brown.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Steward should be fine at prem level on the wing if needed

Especially at home games with a narrower pitch
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 am It'll be interesting to see what kind of wing McKellar prefers. Wigglesworth has tended towards to quick, hard working options. Borthwick preferred one quick, work horse and then one power option/strike runner.
I've never enjoyed watching Tigers more than when we've had a colossus on one wing, running over people for fun - Alesana was the best, but also Rabeni, Goneva, Nadolo.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:08 am
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 am

Whilst versatility is a good thing.

Steward has played wing a number of times and as you say Shillcock plays 10, that is "enough" versatility for me.

Kini, for all his good points, he doesn't quite have the kicking game for how we play at fullback (Fiji & La Rochelle use fullbacks differently). Outside the PRC, for Tigers he's only started once (back in Feb 2021) anywhere other than wing. At centre he's not defensively tight enough positionally.

Flanker he isn't quite one, during an availability crisis we had him provide bench cover, but people like Van Wyk, Whitcombe & Dolly have all played more minutes there than him.

I love Kini as a guy and a player but for me if the choice was him or Brown I'd want Brown.
Like you I think Kini is a great guy and brilliant for morale, but he has had his day at the very top level, he has slowed, he is not great under the high ball and his defence is pretty poor.

Brown would play and give 100% at prop if you asked him to play there for me he is quite away ahead of Kini
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:34 am Steward should be fine at prem level on the wing if needed

I've not liked any of his appearances on the wing for us so far. However, I think they were all on the right wing in the Borthwick regime whereby he hugged the touchline and generally did the Potter workhorse job. I'd prefer to see him on the left wing and given the Nadolo role where he can come looking for work more. That could work, as you say at Prem level on the narrow pitch.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 am
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 am It'll be interesting to see what kind of wing McKellar prefers. Wigglesworth has tended towards to quick, hard working options. Borthwick preferred one quick, work horse and then one power option/strike runner.
I've never enjoyed watching Tigers more than when we've had a colossus on one wing, running over people for fun - Alesana was the best, but also Rabeni, Goneva, Nadolo.
Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. The Alessana spell was a joy to watch. Goneva slightly different, but equally as destructive. I’d love to see us go after someone similar.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:26 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:34 am Steward should be fine at prem level on the wing if needed

I've not liked any of his appearances on the wing for us so far. However, I think they were all on the right wing in the Borthwick regime whereby he hugged the touchline and generally did the Potter workhorse job. I'd prefer to see him on the left wing and given the Nadolo role where he can come looking for work more. That could work, as you say at Prem level on the narrow pitch.
Unfortunately if you put him on the left wing you basically negate the skillset you've put him on the right wing for - ie chasing high balls and putting attacking aerial pressure on the opposition 11 and 15.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Fissler reporting we are looking for an injury replacement for Chessum
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 am Fissler reporting we are looking for an injury replacement for Chessum
Just for this season or into next?

We have potentially some really big games coming, Green also out, Wells was absent from the 23 yesterday so if we want a title & European push we need to not destroy Martin & Henderson.

If it's into next it may be a suggestion on how serious the injury is...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

:
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 am Fissler reporting we are looking for an injury replacement for Chessum
That would only make sense if two of the locks were injured. Realistically best case scenario is we have six games left (2 European and 4 Prem if you include semi and final).

Manz and Chessum Jnr getting some experience wouldn't be a bad thing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:30 am :
That would only make sense if two of the locks were injured. Realistically best case scenario is we have six games left (2 European and 4 Prem if you include semi and final).

Manz and Chessum Jnr getting some experience wouldn't be a bad thing.
I'd say our lock options are tier'ed like this

T1:
O.Chessum (inj), Green (probably inj), Wells (possibly injured), Martin & Henderson

T2:
Snyman

T3:
T.Manz & L.Chessum

Earlier in the season, Henderson & Martin may have been 2nd tier, but they are both well in our first choice of options...

Green we've not seen hide nor hair of for a long time, however we probably didn't think it worthwhile to get an injury replacement because of how well Martin & Henderson had stepped up into our top tier of locks.

Wells was an unusual player to leave out vs Bristol, it's not like he needs the rest, could him coming off a bit early vs Gloucester have been a slight knock? Or maybe he's picked up one since?

IMO we've got 2 or 3 of our main locks injured. We have possibly quite a few games left, we need to see if there's a lock of sufficient quality IMO we should grab them, if not leave it to the lads we have... Certainly if we don't get one I could see either Tom Manz or Lewis Chessum in the 23 vs Edinburgh.