LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Moroni

Post by Chobbsy »

Simple and genuine question, why did we let him go?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Moroni

Post by baz1664 »

Must have been financial as he is a class act and wanted to stay!! We really are missing his marshalling ability in the midfield right now.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 pm Simple and genuine question, why did we let him go?
Salary cap.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Guessing salary cap coupled with Porter and Kelly looking to be in England contention and so we could not justify having another player in the back line who would not be with us for half a season. Now more than ever you need to balance quality internationals with players who are maybe a level below but cost less and are available more.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 pm Guessing salary cap coupled with Porter and Kelly looking to be in England contention and so we could not justify having another player in the back line who would not be with us for half a season. Now more than ever you need to balance quality internationals with players who are maybe a level below but cost less and are available more.
Tell that to Sarries
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not sure why we need another thread for something that has been discussed widely on a number of other occasions, but each to their own
As for Sarries they only have Farrell and Tompkins that could be considered current internationals, though there are a number of recent internationals
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:54 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 pm Guessing salary cap coupled with Porter and Kelly looking to be in England contention and so we could not justify having another player in the back line who would not be with us for half a season. Now more than ever you need to balance quality internationals with players who are maybe a level below but cost less and are available more.
Tell that to Sarries
Sarries could realistically have no centres called up in the Autumn. Tompkins is the most likely but Lozowski, Taylor and Morris aren't going to be threatening their international sides.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Since Moroni signed for us

Porter and Kelly have been capped by England and both have been re-signed on significant pay increases one would assume.

With two centres in international contention we also need more players to cover them. So brought in Gopperth (primarily to cover 10 with Hegarty leaving and Lancaster left) & Cokanasiga.

So it probably was a choice between Scott and Moroni who to extend. Now one is likely on significantly more than the other. So it may well be that we signed the cheaper option, but who wouldn't (or extremely unlikely) be in international squads.

Say we signed Moroni not Scott in the AIs we would if Kelly, Porter and Moroni are missing we would really be on the bare bones of a squad. Scott probably is better value for money if not a better player
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:11 pm
Tell that to Sarries
Sarries could realistically have no centres called up in the Autumn. Tompkins is the most likely but Lozowski, Taylor and Morris aren't going to be threatening their international sides.
Yep. Sarries squad doesn't look suspicious to me anymore. I said that before Tigers recent sanctions as well.

They have their international stars that have been there years but they are no longer backed up in the same way. It's no longer Koch backed up by Lamositele and Figallo. Or Itoje, Kruis and Skelton all in one position. George, Singleton and Tolofua at hooker. Etc etc.

George backed up by Woolstencroft and Pifeleti. Mako V followed by Adams-Hale and Mawi. Billy V backed by Wray - a very good back row and underrated but wont break the bank. Farrell backed by Manu Vunipola or Goode/Lozowski out of position. I don't think the depth raises an eyebrow anymore.

The backs are packed with quality but it's also a small squad in their backs and the former internationals in Goode, Maitland, Taylor and Davies wont be on massive deals these days.

Even somewhere like blindside which is very strong with Isiekwe and McFarland isn't suspicious at all to me. McFarland is a massive talent but signing from Dallas wont have cost much. Just good recruitment and a punt on a talented player paying off with good coaching. Plus Tigers have similar depth at 6 with Hanro and Martin!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:49 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Tell that to Sarries
Yep. Sarries squad doesn't look suspicious to me anymore. I said that before Tigers recent sanctions as well.

They have their international stars that have been there years but they are no longer backed up in the same way. It's no longer Koch backed up by Lamositele and Figallo. Or Itoje, Kruis and Skelton all in one position. George, Singleton and Tolofua at hooker. Etc etc.

George backed up by Woolstencroft and Pifeleti. Mako V followed by Adams-Hale and Mawi. Billy V backed by Wray - a very good back row and underrated but wont break the bank. Farrell backed by Manu Vunipola or Goode/Lozowski out of position. I don't think the depth raises an eyebrow anymore.

The backs are packed with quality but it's also a small squad in their backs and the former internationals in Goode, Maitland, Taylor and Davies wont be on massive deals these days.

Even somewhere like blindside which is very strong with Isiekwe and McFarland isn't suspicious at all to me. McFarland is a massive talent but signing from Dallas wont have cost much. Just good recruitment and a punt on a talented player paying off with good coaching. Plus Tigers have similar depth at 6 with Hanro and Martin!
There you go with that common sense talk again. Surely you’re aware that the party line on Sarries from now until the 12th of Never is “they are cheats, they’ve always been cheats and always will be cheats” 😉
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With it looking increasingly likely that Worcester will be suspended for the entirety of the season next year, if there is any space in the cap Owen Williams back here would be my suggestion especially once Hegarty leaves.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:48 pm With it looking increasingly likely that Worcester will be suspended for the entirety of the season next year, if there is any space in the cap Owen Williams back here would be my suggestion especially once Hegarty leaves.
Owen Williams was a distinctly average player in my opinion. His kicking was ok but he never had any attacking flair. We can do much better
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd take Francois Venter for the right price. Shouldn't break the bank but he's a very good defensive organiser at 12 or 13. That's invaluable as seen with Kelly, Porter and Scott varyingly unavailable recently plus Moroni moved on.

If we were looking at Wuss players to replace Hegarty then Shillcock or Heward would be my choice over Williams.

Justin Clegg is IMO a very underrated young lock with a high ceiling but we are stacked at second row already. I can see Clegg flourishing in the right setup though.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

If we’re looking for 10s keep an eye on the situation at wasps, Atkinson or Umaga would be good pick ups
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:58 pm Since Moroni signed for us

Porter and Kelly have been capped by England and both have been re-signed on significant pay increases one would assume.

With two centres in international contention we also need more players to cover them. So brought in Gopperth (primarily to cover 10 with Hegarty leaving and Lancaster left) & Cokanasiga.

So it probably was a choice between Scott and Moroni who to extend. Now one is likely on significantly more than the other. So it may well be that we signed the cheaper option, but who wouldn't (or extremely unlikely) be in international squads.

Say we signed Moroni not Scott in the AIs we would if Kelly, Porter and Moroni are missing we would really be on the bare bones of a squad. Scott probably is better value for money if not a better player
I think what you said makes sense but Scott is IMHO definitely not a better player. He struggles to get in the Scotland set up. Moroni is IMHO world class, especially in defence. I don't think we have missed Scott this season, but we have definitely missed Morini. But yes, he is worthy of earning a lot more. We would, as you say, get more use out of Scott though, because he doesn't make the Scottish team, so in that regard... For me though, Scott would not be in the Tigers first 15 either, as both Kelly and Porter are better, but he is good to have as depth.