Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 makes a very good point. My thoughts were let’s not just confine thoughts Soccer stadium. You’re right about the size of football grounds, you would have struggled for a dead ball area at the old Filbert Street or The Dell
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Saracens pitch is within the running track. I remember us playing Newcastle at the famous Gateshead athletic stadium, awful atmosphere due to distance from the action and no social facilities. Mostly at football grounds when used for rugby the try line is moved to the edge of the goal area giving a minimum six yards for the dead ball area.. There are many decent grounds in lower and non league football but for our game to thrive I believe professional teams need their own ground, maybe a football team with its own ground taking ownership of or creating a rugby team on the lines of Bristol. I personally hate artificial.pitches but with three currently in the Premiership they are not going to go away and they do lend themselves to multi-sport use.
I still think that if we are to rethink the league system conversation with the WRU could allow Welsh CLUBS to apply to join in the way Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham and Swansea are in the football league many of them have decent grounds. Wrexham with its Holywood backers maybe a great place to share with a rugby side and geographically could legitimately join an English league. England v Wales at any level guarantees a good gate and a bit of edge in the match.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not sure if this link will work; Dallaglio complains about lack of support from RFU. Did he expect them to stump up the £95 million?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 83025.html
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

maybe some one needs to explain to the wasps legend what debt is??????? :smt024

im not sure why but i have a feeling he dosent understand it :smt046
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

eastyorkstiger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 pm maybe some one needs to explain to the wasps legend what debt is??????? :smt024

im not sure why but i have a feeling he doesn't understand it :smt046
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uptcy.html £700,000 in debts!
~ adding: 'I think one has a responsibility to ensure that the taxman does not get everything.'

Unfortunately Dallagio has a bad financial attitude in his earnings and social spending and really should he be an Ambassador of our game? :smt009
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

He is typical of people who do not differentiate “the taxman” or “the government” from paying to help myself and others in society to have the resources and support a civilised community requires.
Follow the tax rules, fake any allowances you can, they are designed to support certain behaviours out elective government has decided they wish to support, and if you don’t like them campaign to change them. Breaking them is undermining society as a whole.
And yes I do think he should not be an ambassador for our game if he has this level of respect for how our civil society funds itself.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Just as a matter of interest, Dallaglio is still registered at Companies House as a director of Wasps Holdings Limited - not exactly an impartial commentator on the situation.
Ancient Mariner
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

ancientmariner wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:19 am Just as a matter of interest, Dallaglio is still registered at Companies House as a director of Wasps Holdings Limited - not exactly an impartial commentator on the situation.
Has our Lolly ever been an impartial commentator….on anything?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It’s not just about rugby debts.
Wasps went under owing money to players and other staff as well as a whole host of other creditors presumably including the Inland Revenue.

For me it is not just about the debts relating to rugby, the rest of the people and businesses should have every expectation to be paid what they are owed. Why should you or I pay more tax so that the Wasps name can continue to exist? The club has gone. The receivers get to decide how remaining assists are distributed, including the “name” but the club as a playing entity has gone. If someone buys the name from the receiver and Ford a club, then it should enter at the bottom tier.

It’s not administration where action is being taken by appointed administrators with the aim of saving the business in the best interests of staff and creditors. That’s the real target of the rules such as points deduction and being relegated to the Championship. That’s about fair play for the other teams who balance the books who might lose out if a side goes into administration and gets its debts reduced.

For me Wasps and Worcester are gone as the clubs they were and should start again. The Premiership is not a franchise. No one wanted to see them go bust but having done so, they are gone.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Some ambiguity here, but it appears that Wasps will return:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/wasps-statement- ... n-2024-25/
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:34 pm Some ambiguity here, but it appears that Wasps will return:

So basically we find out soon if they have managed to poach Sixways from Worcester then they start hiring a team.

Well, looks like it will not be Worcester Wasps just Wasps settling into another birds nest.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:43 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:34 pm Some ambiguity here, but it appears that Wasps will return:

So basically we find out soon if they have managed to poach Sixways from Worcester then they start hiring a team.

Well, looks like it will not be Worcester Wasps just Wasps settling into another birds nest.
Then they should change names from Wasps to Cuckoo's. That's even further for their few loyal London based fans to travel to "home" games.. Supporters buses this time too????
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

But will they get RFU approval to jump into a high level league or do they have to work their way up. I know which way I am in favour of.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

PJM wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:20 pm But will they get RFU approval to jump into a high level league or do they have to work their way up. I know which way I am in favour of.
Surely, if the RFU want to be seen as fair, resistant to any influence and bias, and with the game’s best interest at heart, they have to insist on the latter!

Championship it is then.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

loretta wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 am
PJM wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:20 pm But will they get RFU approval to jump into a high level league or do they have to work their way up. I know which way I am in favour of.
Surely, if the RFU want to be seen as fair, resistant to any influence and bias, and with the game’s best interest at heart, they have to insist on the latter!

Championship it is then.
Forget Championship they should have to enter at national league or lower and have to earn their way up the pyramid