Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by johnthegriff »

Bath holds in excess of 15000, admittedly the facilities are poor and not all have a decent view but they regularly achieve crowds in excess of 12000. Saracens when we are visiting expect about 10k, Falcons do not get the crowds they deserve and Irish I believe will build given time now they are away from the Majeski.
I am enjoying this conversation but I do think it would be better round a table with a pint to hand, mine will be half full.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:49 pm Bath holds in excess of 15000, admittedly the facilities are poor and not all have a decent view but they regularly achieve crowds in excess of 12000. Saracens when we are visiting expect about 10k, Falcons do not get the crowds they deserve and Irish I believe will build given time now they are away from the Majeski.
I am enjoying this conversation but I do think it would be better round a table with a pint to hand, mine will be half full.
I do agree about the conversation though feel you are being a little overly optimistic. Falcons will possibly get a reasonable crowd now and again depending on the visitors, they just haven’t got the regular fan base.
Bath and Sarries just aren’t enough and without wealthy benefactors they would be struggling.
Irish is an interesting one. The Gtec stadium is a nice ground but is very rarely more than a third full, difficult to tell with those coloured seats.
They may have had very little choice, but the move to Brentford, half way between Quins and Sarries, isn’t going to help when building their fan base. As sad as it is I can see them going the way of Wasps and Worcester within 12 months without a major external cash injection.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

On that I hope you are wrong, if they can survive a year or so I believe they will be ok. They are nearer their roots than when at the Majeski so can build. Quins is just down the road but there is a lot of Rugby played in that area so there could be space to build. It is a shame the facilities are not their own so the potential to earn on non match days is limited.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Yes the silence has been noted but we here at Tigers take that as 'our norm'. :smt009

I recognise there are secrets kept on being a business against the needs of the customers to know. But to the detriment of those customers?:smt017
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:48 pm Yes the silence has been noted but we here at Tigers take that as 'our norm'. :smt009

I recognise there are secrets kept on being a business against the needs of the customers to know. But to the detriment of those customers?:smt017
A fine analogy but in this case the customers do not even know for sure if there is a business let alone where it will operate on. When you need to start getting revenue in, that goes beyond our level of secrecy and has become almost suicidal.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:52 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:48 pm Yes the silence has been noted but we here at Tigers take that as 'our norm'. :smt009

A fine analogy but in this case the customers do not even know for sure if there is a business let alone where it will operate on. When you need to start getting revenue in, that goes beyond our level of secrecy and has become almost suicidal.
My point well put GB72 👍.
For another analogy "No Christmas loyalty savings cards if you think this Shop cannot make Christmas"
Are they expecting the loyalty of a season ticket or rely on the casual spectator? :smt011
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I just don’t see how Wasps are going to be able to assemble a squad, no ground , no training facilities and hardly the financial background that anyone is going to want to hitch their wagon too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:08 pm
GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:52 pm

My point well put GB72 👍.
For another analogy "No Christmas loyalty savings cards if you think this Shop cannot make Christmas"
Are they expecting the loyalty of a season ticket or rely on the casual spectator? :smt011
Sadly the RFU seem so desperate for Wasps to survive (despite the fact that they have been on life support for years) that they seem blind to everything else that is going on. Why does the Monty Python parrott sketch keep coming to mind.

Pity they did not show half of that level of concern for Worcester, a club that much of the rugby fraternity actually thought was worth saving.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rather than the parrot sketch, it seems more to resemble the dismembered knight.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The RFU probably want another London club. Obviously they have their darlings in Quins but Sarries have blotted their copy book and LI have moved out of London and perhaps still seen as Johnny Foreigners.

Wasps haven’t been London Wasps for years but that seems irrelevant to the RFU and would rather save them than Worcester.

I for one, wouldn’t let any bankrupt club go into the championship, a tier below would be better. This would mean that they need long term backing to return to the Premiership rather the “walk away from debt at he cost of a year down a tier.”

As for the ground requirement to become a Premiership side, would argue that all that needs to be present is a safe ground that can hold the minimum agreed away fans. That could be 1000 or 1500 or whatever the average numbers Tigers send to away matches (as the best supported club), if that means you can’t accommodate you home fans, then so be it. Yes there has to be a clear plan to reach a minimum capacity within 2 seasons of promotion. Expecting promoted sides to conjure up a big ground immediately is impractical. You might not know you are going to win the league until the last game of the season, so the millstone of a 10000 seater stadium may be hard to justify in the Championship.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:52 pm The RFU probably want another London club. Obviously they have their darlings in Quins but Sarries have blotted their copy book and LI have moved out of London and perhaps still seen as Johnny Foreigners.
London Irish are closer to London than they were at Reading. Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames .
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

As I said the Irish part of London Irish probably doesn’t sit well with the RFU so its location probably doesn’t count!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It’s a great shame that the RFU didn’t just pull off the plaster with Wasps. A training ground and a logo do not constitute a championship club!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What player is going to commit to a club that doesn't exist in a meaningful form. Expecially as their former entity just went bump, leaving players and staff out of a job.

Sign elsewhere with security or take a punt on a side that 5 months out from the season have nothing in place?

It's not the same as a relegated side with a squad and back room staff in place.
Last edited by mol2 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.