Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by teds »

TiltonTiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm You’ve got to feel a little for the loyal fans who have followed them around the south of England and then up to the Midlands. Perhaps not so much for the slight hubris that existed at the club’s higher levels.
Totally agree, our sympathies are with Wasps fans. I can’t imagine how we’d feel if it was Tigers. But it is probably the right outcome. They really should do the decent thing and return the historical silverware back to the amateur club.

Now we just need the administrators to pull their fingers out and work with Mr Diamond to give Worcester a fighting chance. I hope they get nowhere near London Irish.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm I'm glad the RFU has seen sense, I take no pleasure in seeing Wasps get relegated to the bottom of the tree but that was the fate for Worcester, Richmond, London Welsh so Wasps shouldn't get a pass
And that’s the crux.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm I'm glad the RFU has seen sense, I take no pleasure in seeing Wasps get relegated to the bottom of the tree but that was the fate for Worcester, Richmond, London Welsh so Wasps shouldn't get a pass
I don't think the Worcester position has actually been resolved yet.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Meanwhile, the footy team is one win from the Premier League. How things change.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:00 pm Meanwhile, the footy team is one win from the Premier League. How things change.
& probably replacing City..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TiltonTiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm You’ve got to feel a little for the loyal fans...
Both of them must be gutted!!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TiltonTiger wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm You’ve got to feel a little for the loyal fans...
Wasps never did
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

So true, Loretta, so true.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:42 pm What league does the bottom tier mean ?
It means once they pick a location for a ground they will have to apply to join the RFU as a new club & will join at the lowest level. That isn't always the literal bottom tier, but it always once administered by one of the county leagues. If they were in London I think it goes down to level 9, in Warwickshire I think it is a little deeper (more teams in the formal leagues rather than more rugby clubs).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Could be interesting am I right that “London Wasps” rather than the professional entity that went to Coventry are still playing with teams in the lower leagues?
Could end up playing each other!

In reality I doubt anyone would try to resurrect them from that far down. The log term financial commitment would probably take too long for most investors. (That weren’t there to save them)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:31 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:42 pm What league does the bottom tier mean ?
It means once they pick a location for a ground they will have to apply to join the RFU as a new club & will join at the lowest level. That isn't always the literal bottom tier, but it always once administered by one of the county leagues. If they were in London I think it goes down to level 9, in Warwickshire I think it is a little deeper (more teams in the formal leagues rather than more rugby clubs).
They could move back to Repton Ave, Sudbury...

...oh no, they sold that to make a quick buck in the 90s.

They may blame the RFU, but sadly Wasps' problems were ultimately all of their own making.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

mol2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 am Could be interesting am I right that “London Wasps” rather than the professional entity that went to Coventry are still playing with teams in the lower leagues?
Could end up playing each other!

In reality I doubt anyone would try to resurrect them from that far down. The log term financial commitment would probably take too long for most investors. (That weren’t there to save them)
Ironically, they only became London Wasps when they moved to Wycombe. A blatant attempt to keep an association with the capital, while moving outside the M25
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

https://demo.thisischip.com/?q=https:// ... /&o=reddit
It is understood that discussions are taking place at a senior level within Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Football Union about finding a process in which the club could be offered a ‘franchise’ place to return to the second tier of English rugby within the next five years.
:smt017
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:26 pm https://demo.thisischip.com/?q=https:// ... /&o=reddit
It is understood that discussions are taking place at a senior level within Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Football Union about finding a process in which the club could be offered a ‘franchise’ place to return to the second tier of English rugby within the next five years.
:smt017
franchises...... Just when I thought it couldn't get worse
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Yet more favouritism. Will the same deal be offered to Worcester or L Irish if they fail? I very much doubt it.

And a franchise? :smt009
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina