loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by loretta »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:00 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:58 pm
GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:31 am

Sadly I agree. There is valid talk about a strong championship but that will never be realistic with one man and his dog watching and with teams that have so little wider interest that you cannot give the TV rights away. Wasps are at least a known brand and will attract people which is more than can be said, unfortunately, for most of the championship sides.
I would have been far happier if Irish had taken over at Worcs, they have a history too as being a migrant club, I think their failure was far more legal than Wasp's failure. I would support them anyday, but not Wasps. What is happenig at Irish, anyone know?
As far as I know the London Irish name continues as an amateur side, the professional club has ceased to exist
Just like Wasps, perhaps with the exception that some bloke elsewhere has a couple of bits of paper with the logo on.

As an aside, I noticed earlier in this thread that someone (apologies for forgetting who) likened them to the parasitic Ichneumon wasp. I appreciate the comparison, it’s a bit of a mouthful, but could be abbreviated to Ickies. Nice!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Wasps, the defunct professional side, split off from Wasps FC a few years ago who continue in the amateur leagues.

So Wasps have continued to exist. It’s just the itinerant parasites that were destroyed by a dose of financial insecticide.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

If I were asked to build a stadium for them I would want the money up front.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I've looked for a flying pig emoji but we don't seem to have one :smt044
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

PJM wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:50 pm Off to Kent now forWasps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67193921
Further away the better for me, although can you believe anything the BBC says?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:48 pm

Right sort of area, but awful location. I don't think they've actually been there. Its next to an motorway/motorway interchange, one of which is the M25, the other the infamous M20. The junction frequently has the tailbacks and solid traffic from the Dartford Crossing and M25/A2 interchanges.

It has got a station about a K away as the crow flies.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Why the dislike of Wasps on this forum, the more professional sides the better, I would welcome back Wasps, London Irish & Worcester in a reartbeat.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

rearbeat😂😂 heartbeat.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Whilst I would welcome additional teams being allowed in the premiership to give us more games(although this would mean more clashes with the six nations) I dont see why a club should be able to write off millions of pounds of debt causing lots of small companies to go bust and then be able to appear like a phoenix from the ashes to join the first or second tier of rugby. They should start at the very bottom after due diligence investigation from an independent body.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:49 am Whilst I would welcome additional teams being allowed in the premiership to give us more games(although this would mean more clashes with the six nations) I dont see why a club should be able to write off millions of pounds of debt causing lots of small companies to go bust and then be able to appear like a phoenix from the ashes to join the first or second tier of rugby. They should start at the very bottom after due diligence investigation from an independent body.
Nailed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Who in their right mind would lend them any money.

That statement could cover the entire professional game in England at present though.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:47 am
LE18 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:48 pm

Right sort of area, but awful location. I don't think they've actually been there. Its next to an motorway/motorway interchange, one of which is the M25, the other the infamous M20. The junction frequently has the tailbacks and solid traffic from the Dartford Crossing and M25/A2 interchanges.

It has got a station about a K away as the crow flies.
Ah! but don't forget that is a great catchment area with no adjacent Premiership or Championship teams and furthermore they have the incoming flow of boat people to recruit too.... :smt003
No one in their right mind would be caught with their "Development Bonds" again would they?
I only hope that Tigers have reclaimed their former catchment areas of Warwickshire & part of Birmingham to the previous boundaries. Although Worcester's area is in limbo now.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If someone wants to use the Wasps name and start again .. fine .. get on with it.
But they start under the same rules as anyone else, Richmond, London Scottish, Rugby Lions etc.
Rugby for example had to fulfil 20 friendly fixtures before being allowed back into the lowest league .. like Wasps behind them was a trail of debt and unpaid bills to local trades, so probably not popular locally but they got on with it.
Who are all these supporters this Wasps crowd think they have .. I would have thought they have thought their nomadic lifestyle has peed off everyone who has ever previously supported them in which ever part of the country the washed up in. I also cannot see how anyone would invest in them unless they have money to burn. Nor can see anyone wishing to supply them as much as the office tea bags or bog roll without a proforma prepayment.. I certainly wouldn’t.
I’m not surprised LOL is backing the idea as he is clearly a man who is sadly lacking in thinking department, especially when it comes to money.
I am surprised however that a canny Scot like Kenny is giving his backing and I’m positive that his imminently sensible wife will not allow any financial risk from their family coffers!
So really what is it? Sounds like the nonsense that Aland sold to Backy (say no more!!) about Rugby Lions back in 2011.
As long as they get no preferential treatment, let them crack on but As far as premiership goes If rather see Championship teams who have earned the right to be there get promoted if we are to see an increase in team numbers.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

wormus wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:35 pm Ah! but don't forget that is a great catchment area with no adjacent Premiership or Championship teams and furthermore they have the incoming flow of boat people to recruit too.... :smt003
That's about the only thing going for the plan!