Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by teds »

I don’t really agree with forcing them to stay at the same venue which would guarantee continued failure is the right thing to do. Provided that Wasps can pay off ALL their debts, I’d be happy to see them at the bottom of the championship at a new location, albeit with suspended PShares.

For my money the best locations away from any other premiership club’s doorstep would be either (1) somewhere in the area delimited by the M1, M4, M5 and M6, or (2) South of London where they seem to have some sort of fan base.

London Welsh tried the premiership thing at the Kassam in Oxford and failed, but I think for Wasps somewhere with easy access from both London and Coventry and not too far from High Wycombe and their academy at Aylesbury would allow them to restart with a fan base bigger than most other championship sides.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

teds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:22 pm I don’t really agree with forcing them to stay at the same venue which would guarantee continued failure is the right thing to do. Provided that Wasps can pay off ALL their debts, I’d be happy to see them at the bottom of the championship at a new location, albeit with suspended PShares.

For my money the best locations away from any other premiership club’s doorstep would be either (1) somewhere in the area delimited by the M1, M4, M5 and M6, or (2) South of London where they seem to have some sort of fan base.

London Welsh tried the premiership thing at the Kassam in Oxford and failed, but I think for Wasps somewhere with easy access from both London and Coventry and not too far from High Wycombe and their academy at Aylesbury would allow them to restart with a fan base bigger than most other championship sides.
Stadium MK... :smt017 :smt003
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

teds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:22 pm I don’t really agree with forcing them to stay at the same venue which would guarantee continued failure is the right thing to do. Provided that Wasps can pay off ALL their debts, I’d be happy to see them at the bottom of the championship at a new location, albeit with suspended PShares.

I don’t think anyone is forcing them to stay at Cov. They have a choice, be viable as a championship club where they are or start again. Personally, I’d guess it’s most likely going to be the latter.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Rebrand as London Hornets and find a 5000 seater rented ground inside M25. Recruit academy players and experienced end of career lower paid players.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:56 pm

Funnily enough Stadium MK is almost exactly the same distance from Saints as the Ricoh was from Tigers

Maybe Bicester would be good with direct trains to London, Oxford and High Wycombe. They do already have a club but I think they are tier 6 or 7.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:43 pm Rebrand as London Hornets and find a 5000 seater rented ground inside M25. Recruit academy players and experienced end of career lower paid players.
Problem is that ground realistically has to be 10000 if they are a tenant. Otherwise they need to find a 5000 seater stadium from somewhere, then get adequate funding, planning permission and contractors in place before they could be promoted.

I think they need to find a SE London or Surrey groundshare, maybe in extremis Sussex. But then it needs to be 10K,and there aren't that many about.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

teds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 pm

Funnily enough Stadium MK is almost exactly the same distance from Saints as the Ricoh was from Tigers

Maybe Bicester would be good with direct trains to London, Oxford and High Wycombe. They do already have a club but I think they are tier 6 or 7.
And a stadium?

The Kassam's quite close... :smt002
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:59 pm
teds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 pm

And a stadium?

The Kassam's quite close... :smt002
Errr possibly. :smt001 Actually I’ve never been to the Kassam, but used to drive into Oxford occasionally. The traffic can be awful. Worse than driving into Leicester.

Really Wasps can’t afford to make another mistake. Tough decisions. Good luck to them.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Unless I’m miss reading things I think posters are getting confused. The regulations state, as I understand, that if they are not able to play their fixtures at the Coventry Arena in the championship next season they will then be demoted to the bottom of the league structure, which if taken literally will be the same level as Old Newts and South Leicester play at.
If that is the case the question as to which stadium they play in will be a mute point.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

https://www.waspsfc.co.uk/teams/6506

A ready made solution, merge back with the Wasps amateur set up who play in Acton in Counties 2.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

loretta wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:20 am https://www.waspsfc.co.uk/teams/6506

A ready made solution, merge back with the Wasps amateur set up who play in Acton in Counties 2.
It is. At least it would keep the Wasps name alive and if they were to get investors with a sensible plan within 10 years they would be back in the National league set up.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:13 am Unless I’m miss reading things I think posters are getting confused. The regulations state, as I understand, that if they are not able to play their fixtures at the Coventry Arena in the championship next season they will then be demoted to the bottom of the league structure, which if taken literally will be the same level as Old Newts and South Leicester play at.
If that is the case the question as to which stadium they play in will be a mute point.
Yes you are right. Championship at The Ricoh or a complete new start at the very bottom elsewhere
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sort of begs the question, if it is so essential that a team continues at the stadium that was a contributary reason for their downfall, why were they allowed to upsticks and move in the first place?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:52 am Sort of begs the question, if it is so essential that a team continues at the stadium that was a contributary reason for their downfall, why were they allowed to upsticks and move in the first place?
JTG May have been a case of a business plan being over/wrongly sold. I think we can definitely say that the deal was scrutinised properly
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:46 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:13 am Unless I’m miss reading things I think posters are getting confused. The regulations state, as I understand, that if they are not able to play their fixtures at the Coventry Arena in the championship next season they will then be demoted to the bottom of the league structure, which if taken literally will be the same level as Old Newts and South Leicester play at.
Yes you are right. Championship at The Ricoh or a complete new start at the very bottom elsewhere
cant see lol putting up with that such a famous club cant be in those leagues