Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Post by loretta »

Hard to see why Wasps are being treated differently to all the other clubs that have failed. Why the special relationship? Simply friends in high places?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Old Hob wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:00 pm And a franchise? :smt009
Franchises may be part of the wider discussion regarding survival of the clubs in the new structure, a mechanism by which greater central funding can be allocated. There’s probably so much uncertainty floating about, those involved are considering previously unacceptable steps
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:00 pm Yet more favouritism. Will the same deal be offered to Worcester or L Irish if they fail? I very much doubt it.

And a franchise? :smt009
The article suggests so;

“We need brands like Wasps and Worcester in the Championship and there must be a way in the medium term to bring them back more quickly by restructuring the championship to refranchise them in the right place in the country,” said one senior Premiership source.

Another senior source said: “We need strong brands to make Prem 2 viable.”
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

What little faith I had in the RFU and Prem rugby has been drained by this news, they honestly don't have a clue do they :smt013

I'm almost at the stage now where I think the best thing that can happen is the whole game goes bust and we start with a fresh slate
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester Lions still play rugby without all the politics, they'll be in National 1 next year, there's Hinckley and Loughborough Students in National 2 to give a choice over the county. Of course there are a lot more sides too, in Lutterworth and Market Harborough for example.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What I cannot understand why there should have been such an effort to save Wasps, when there wasn’t for Worcester.

They ultimately went bust for different reasons, with Worcester being the more unfortunate.

It clearly is a shame when clubs go under, for the players and off field staff who lose their jobs. Just as big a problem for both clubs staff. Hopefully LI won’t follow. However it is wrong for the authorities to favour the survival of one over another.

Both are gone and rightly they should return at the bottom of the pyramid. The money/effort would be better spent keeping the top tier solvent and supporting those who ear the right to promotion to move up.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think they're proposing the same for Worcester.

I get it's unfair on previous clubs that went bust, but if there are these "brands" with good followings, then rugby needs to do everything it can to keep them going or resurrect them.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:49 pm I think they're proposing the same for Worcester.

I get it's unfair on previous clubs that went bust, but if there are these "brands" with good followings, then rugby needs to do everything it can to keep them going or resurrect them.
Since when did Wasps have a good following? Just stinks of Dayglo et al applying some sort of pressure.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:36 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:49 pm I think they're proposing the same for Worcester.

Since when did Wasps have a good following? Just stinks of Dayglo et al applying some sort of pressure.
Wasps and Worcester are much bigger entities than most Championship Clubs. They'll have a bigger draw with sponsors and suchlike. I'm sure the RFU do want to find a way to get them on a decent state and get them into the Championship.

Let's face it, who doesn't want to see the Wasps Vs Coventry grudge match.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wasps had an average attendance of about 10k, there isn't a single Championship club that would come close to replacing that.

The name also means something to casual fans, and the brand is easier to sell to TV companies than Ealing or Jersey would be.

Let's face it, we're all better off if Wasps and Worcester are helped back to the top.
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

i guess if you were one of the ones due a share of the £95 000 000 debt you might feel differently?? if they ran up huge debts again and went bust again would u be ok with a 3rd reincarnation?? the name alone should not buy them preferential treatment
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:55 pm Wasps had an average attendance of about 10k, there isn't a single Championship club that would come close to replacing that.

The name also means something to casual fans, and the brand is easier to sell to TV companies than Ealing or Jersey would be.

Let's face it, we're all better off if Wasps and Worcester are helped back to the top.
And a lot of that attendance came from free tickets handed out to anyone who wanted them, you can’t use that as a fair measure of popularity. And there is virtually nothing left of that club, no coaches, no players, no members, no ground, it’s basically just a logo! Even that’s shared with someone else.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Seems like some want rugby to cut off its nose to spite its face.

The logo and the name still have value. Value that can benefit the rest of professional rugby in England, including Tigers. Unless we can replace the two clubs in the Premiership, there'll be less TV money on offer next time it's up for negotiation, and there seems little chance that anyone in the Championship can step up.

As said above, it is just a logo, so why do we feel the need to punish it? The people responsible are long gone.
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

Could be a benefit a smaller league, play cups during international windows so teams are not suffering from internationals missing and giving the next level of players a chance. Fewer games higher quality and probably much closer results
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm Seems like some want rugby to cut off its nose to spite its face.

The logo and the name still have value. Value that can benefit the rest of professional rugby in England, including Tigers. Unless we can replace the two clubs in the Premiership, there'll be less TV money on offer next time it's up for negotiation, and there seems little chance that anyone in the Championship can step up.

As said above, it is just a logo, so why do we feel the need to punish it? The people responsible are long gone.
It’s about being seen to be fair, applying the laws to all equally and without favour. There’s value to Rugby as a whole when that principle is upheld, and actions that are contrary to it undermine the sport’s reputation and standing in the eyes of the general public. They devalue it.

Wasps and Worcester should honour the laws of the game and both drop through the leagues, just like those clubs that did it before. Bending the rules to allow them a fast track back would be an insult to all the others who’ve gone down in former years, years in which there was plenty of financial pressure and yet the sport miraculously survived. I wonder if lawyers representing London Welsh, London Scottish et al might currently be sharpening their pencils in readiness. Should Irish collapse in the next week, would they be included too? How many times will failures in the modern era be offered a lifeline just because we’re comfortable with their name, when good clubs in earlier times were not?

In the future, it looks likely that we’ll be going down the prem 1 and prem 2 route, with 10 in each. According to an article by Gavin Mairs, that could even be as early as next season if Irish do fold. We don’t need 2 more logos to make up the numbers, what we need is the funding step between the 2 proposed leagues to be less of an obstacle. Then clubs like Cov and Pirates can become household names, just like Exeter and Worcester did when they emerged into the sunlit uplands of the Prem!

The favouritism being proposed for the Wasps brand (and potentially dragging Worcester on its coat tails) stinks. It reeks of the old boy network, of pressure being placed on the blazers of HQ, and it plays into the narrative that our sport favours the privileged. If there’s one thing that would devalue the rest of rugby in England, including Tigers, it’s more of that!