Wasps in the mire - now in administration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Wasps still in the mire

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Is it for this thread or the Wocester one?
Whichever the dier state of rugby finance has at last made national TV.

Bad news makes work for the journolistic scribes/transmitters. As I asked previously
"will this be another nail in the coffin of rugby and its PR image?"
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

https://www.ruck.co.uk/wasps-enter-admi ... Iy_cTxSEqA

As much as I dislike the insects, I am saddened by this. It isn't great for the Premiership and we could be playing Redruth and Esher next season.....
A life long Tiger
peteD

Post by peteD »

You half expect premiership rugby to think that once Sarries are back in the top league they can ‘restructure’ to a more sustainable league and invite trailfinders / pirates etc as required
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

According to that Ruck top 10 players Sarries have 3? How is that sustainable? That is the reason clubs are in trouble. Gates are down and players want more money. Something has to give.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:03 pm According to that Ruck top 10 players Sarries have 3? How is that sustainable? That is the reason clubs are in trouble. Gates are down and players want more money. Something has to give.
Saffas have never had the gate attendance for the warriors squad let along their own superstars…
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Am I right in thinking that the latest batch of economic policies is going to make refinancing the bonds much harder for wasps?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

SthrnTiger wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:29 am Am I right in thinking that the latest batch of economic policies is going to make refinancing the bonds much harder for wasps?
Guess so, but think it is more likely, as with agriculture and much else in this rapidly-approaching-penury country, a fire sale with hedge funds slamming in to bleed assets after.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

It’s very easy with Wasps to say told you so. Many had already called the inevitable outcome of the move (gamble) from London. But I desperately hope Wasps can find a way out of this as losing one of our fellow heavyweights is almost unthinkable. In the meantime I have the deepest sorrow and empathy for another set of players, coaches and back room staff who will be trying their best in such uncertainty - all people who will be going through the miserable uncertainty of whether they will have jobs in the near future - and with it worries over mortgages, food on the table for the family etc. All people who didn’t create this but could pay the greatest cost. A league without Worcester or the Insects is a disaster on so many levels.

What needs doing to ensure the future of rugby will make many unhappy. But it’s pretty clear that the stack of cards we have now is the worst of most scenarios.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:48 pm It’s very easy with Wasps to say told you so. Many had already called the inevitable outcome of the move (gamble) from London. But I desperately hope Wasps can find a way out of this as losing one of our fellow heavyweights is almost unthinkable. In the meantime I have the deepest sorrow and empathy for another set of players, coaches and back room staff who will be trying their best in such uncertainty - all people who will be going through the miserable uncertainty of whether they will have jobs in the near future - and with it worries over mortgages, food on the table for the family etc. All people who didn’t create this but could pay the greatest cost. A league without Worcester or the Insects is a disaster on so many levels.

What needs doing to ensure the future of rugby will make many unhappy. But it’s pretty clear that the stack of cards we have now is the worst of most scenarios.
Excellent post. In the bit I saw of the Lawrence interview one of the points he makes is that not all players have savings to rely on, there are a few that are living month to month.
There are going to have to be some very unpopular decisions made if the game is to survive in any sort of recognised format.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/ar ... iquidation.

Now obviously Worcester have gone into administration, but on Wednesday (I think) the 10 working days from Wasps filing their NOI (notice of intent) is up. At that point without the funds (or proving to a court that funds are almost there) Wasps also will be in administration.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 pm https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/ar ... iquidation.

Now obviously Worcester have gone into administration, but on Wednesday (I think) the 10 working days from Wasps filing their NOI (notice of intent) is up. At that point without the funds (or proving to a court that funds are almost there) Wasps also will be in administration.
That’s my understanding of the timing for Wasps too. Curiously though, BTsport commentary mentioned a different date at the weekend.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

loretta wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:16 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 pm https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/ar ... iquidation.

That’s my understanding of the timing for Wasps too. Curiously though, BTsport commentary mentioned a different date at the weekend.
Quite a few people are acting as if the extension is automatic.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

BBC sport now reporting that a second NOI has been filed. Presumably the extension.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

loretta wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:30 pm BBC sport now reporting that a second NOI has been filed. Presumably the extension.
I attach the details just issued from the BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63135751
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wormus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:44 pm
loretta wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:30 pm BBC sport now reporting that a second NOI has been filed. Presumably the extension.
I attach the details just issued from the BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63135751
Intresting is says they have applied for more time, not that it's been granted
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.