Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps still in the mire

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:58 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:19 pm If and it’s a big if (which I don’t think will happen) and wasps went to the wire, there is no club I would imagine in the Premiership who could afford to buy any of the wasps star players. The Premiership would have to make some sort of dispensation to clubs, but how would this be fair? You all get an extra £x… scary times to be a wasp fan but more for their squad players. Your Willis brothers etc can and will get picked up, the lesser known squad players may struggle.
I think that if the Premiership decide to save them or assist this would open up large amounts of litigation from other clubs who have gone to the wire.
Wait and see.
They PRL could re-distribute the Wasps proportion of the TV rights to clubs with the direction that they can only use it to pay the wages of former Wasps players. If you don't use it you lose it.

Depending on how accurate the media reports are to the value of the broadcasting deal that would take up roughly half of the Wasps squad on current value contracts, this is on the basis they are roughly up to the cap and have a marquee player. Obviously a number of the players might take reduced salaries to guarantee a contract for next season.

Not that I think it will come to that.
That makes sense and appears to be a really good option. From a human point of view, you don’t want anyone to lose their job from the Willis brothers to the kitman and tea lady. Still think Wasps will be in business, but the Premiership can’t make a rod for their back and give them any preferential treatment.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The wonderful world of Sports Financing in action....borrowing money using future earnings of what you are buying as the collateral.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Guess it depends on the TV rights t&c’s suspect the administrators would want their hands on that too.
Last edited by anz3001 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Like others I hope that Wasps do not go out of business. However other than them receiving preferential treatment from the RFU/Premiership I cannot fathom out how that is going to happen
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:27 pm Guess it depends on the TV rights t&c’s suspect the administrators would want their hands on that too.
If they aren't fulfilling the fixtures they can want all they like, breach of contract etc. The clubs would probably demand compensation for the cancellation of home games after the fixture list is already locked in as it is.
Not a jock

Post by Not a jock »

loretta wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:10 pm Check out the post by sk88 for a start, second from the top of page 4 in this thread.
Thanks!
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

If they’re taking on staff, I’d imagine they’ll be fine.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... s-24758157
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Worth pointing out that the stadium, currently not deemed fit for playimg football is meant to be hosting some games for the Rugby League World Cup too. The window for sorting the pitch to last a winter is rapidly closing.

Not sure I buy the whole argument that it's the 7s commonwealth games that have wrecked the pitch. Day one in the commonwealth it looked rough.

66 7s games are only what the equivalent of 11 or so games but with less than half the players on the pitch.

How many 7s games did Twickenham host the week before our final there?

The only thing the Commonwealth Games did was to remove the window to replace the pitch. If they rush it now there won't be a pitch that can last the winter between rugby and football.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:51 pm
The only thing the Commonwealth Games did was to remove the window to replace the pitch. If they rush it now there won't be a pitch that can last the winter between rugby and football.
Coventry City last played on 7th May, Wasps 21st May. First Commonwealth Games day was 29th July. Had they laid it immediately would that have been long enough (given WR's was still being laid a couple of weeks ago)?

I think that's an excuse trotted out to cover up not wanting to pay for it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Was listening to the radio yesterday and apparently the football club offered to split the cost of dealing with the pitch and that was turned down as well. The implication being made there (and this all comes from the football club side of things) is that Wasps do not even have the cash to cover their half share.

My immediate thought, they want to get things sorted out with the bond holders before they spend any money on the pitch as they would not want to spend tens of thousands of pounds to find that the arena is going to be sold.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:25 pm
Coventry City last played on 7th May, Wasps 21st May. First Commonwealth Games day was 29th July. Had they laid it immediately would that have been long enough (given WR's was still being laid a couple of weeks ago)?

The pitch at Welford Road has taken more than a couple of months to replace and is still bedding in. Not sure that Wasps would have been able to do anything in 9 weeks.......
I seem to recall that there may also have been a concert at the ground as well.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 pm

The pitch at Welford Road has taken more than a couple of months to replace and is still bedding in. Not sure that Wasps would have been able to do anything in 9 weeks.......
Fair enough. Maybe shouldn't have made the stadium available for the Commonwealth Games then if there's a chance a pitch will need relaying in the off season! :smt003
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m sure I read that Wasps had guaranteed that remedial work would take place after the 7s in time for the soccer season to start. The issue isn’t can anything be done it’s more that no one will do the work unless Wasps pay up front.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Going on Wasps website just now I couldn't see a season ticket on sale anywhere, only 4 game flexi memberships.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:13 pm

I’m sure I read that Wasps had guaranteed that remedial work would take place after the 7s in time for the soccer season to start. The issue isn’t can anything be done it’s more that no one will do the work unless Wasps pay up front.
According to Wasp’s statement

“In May we informed CCFC that we would not be relaying the pitch. No objection was raised to that course of action then or at any other time.”